Menu

Help with keyboarding or typing program...

Geo

Ok, no formal dx, but ds9 has been working at handwriting (HWT) now for 5 years. His writing is poor, legible enough to read...but automaticity just isn't there. It's just too time consuming to be used for learning. His little hand trembles the whole time and everyone is exhausted after a practice session. Now that he's reading more fluently, I am looking to prepare him for dictation exercises via computer. I think it's time to look into a formal keyboard/typing program. Because of the adhd/odd, patience is at a premium. I've let him piddle around on a couple of free websites, but I'm wondering if there is something out there that may be better suited for a "special" kiddo. Suggestions, anyone?

Geo

Edited by Geo

This is my favorite program, especially for children with learning issues: http://www.christianbook.com/keyboarding-skills-diana-king/9780838825648/pd/8825648.

It is not a computer program, but a book. Students are taught to type in alphabetical order rather than having to memorize homerow keys. Students with memory issues can learn the position of the keys much, much faster this way.

My kiddo who has challenges, especially with the fine motor skills, is using Read, Write, and Type from http://www.talkingfingers.com/ . One thing I just love about it is that is actually uses dictation while teaching him to type with the letters he's learned! I'm finding I'm seeing a lot better where he's at for spelling as well. It's fun, engaging, and inexpensive. It moves slowly enough for him (unlike dance mat typing, which we tried first). A hit here so far!