Menu

Classical Conversations - Time Involved

Suzanne115

Hi -

I am considering Classical Conversations for my upcoming 4th grader. I would sign her up for Foundations and they are doing Cycle 3.

How much time do your children spend working on Classical Conversations at home?

What do they work on at home besides memory work?

I am planning curriculum for next year and I don't want it to be overwhelming.

Thank you for any input.

Suzanne

My son is only in K, but for cycle 2 we spent about 15 minutes a day reviewing the memory work. Plus we listened to the audio CD whenever we were in the car.

You can use CC memory work as a spine for your history and science, or you can do your own thing. For cycle 2, we read books related to our history/science sentences. For cycle 3, we're going to do American History following the plan at Guest Hollow and not worry with syncing it up with CC. For science, we are going follow the WTM plan for first grade science, which includes the body (the body is part of cycle 3 science).

You'll need to do your own thing for math, language arts, spelling, Latin (if you want) as the CC memory work is not a full curriculum.

10 minutes. But, we view CC memory work as supplemental to what we do at home. I do fullblown curriculum for every subject. Maybe someday I will use CC as a spine. I'm not opposed to it; it just isn't what we're doing right now.

DS will be in Essentials next year, also, so the time invested will increase. Although, I won't do grammar, spelling or writing curriculum at home.

I do something similar to Missouri Okie. We review about 10 minutes a day, plus listen to the CD in the car. We focus on LA and math at home, and any history or science is gravy on top. I try to line up somewhat with the CC program, and so at home we'll study American History and life science next year.

We probably spent about 30 minutes a day on memory work for CC. I used the history and science snippets this past year and didn't add in much else because it was our first year and like you I just didn't want to be overwhelmed. I wanted to get a feel for how everything worked.

The upcoming year I am adding in a little more. We are going to use MFW as our main. I'm not worrying about it lining up at all.

We also do Essentials and there I will use CC completely along with Our Mother Tongue and Spelling Power (in MFW). I add nothing to the writing or grammar because that is enough for us. For reading we will use core 3/known as D now from Sonlight which is also American History.

Again, I don't worry about any of it lining up though. I will also have a Challenge A student next year - on that end we will again ride the wave, :lol:, because I know some about it but for me I have to do it first hand to see how everything fits together. My plan is for my 8th grader to sit in with us on some of MFW but that will depend on his workload in Challenge A - which looks pretty full!

Hope that all made sense!:tongue_smilie: