Menu

Anyone mummified a fish?? Dare I??

Kiddo wants to start with a critter we can de-gut. A cornish game hen will come all prepped. I figured a fish we can get at the local U fish place.

Will this be a smelly disaster? I find chickens and apples galore when I google.

I haven't done it, but from the looks of things, this is a project that is done in many schools for grades 5-8. If you google "mummify fish," you'll get several hits. Here are two that have instructions:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/bodies/webcast_activity.html

http://www.pics4learning.com/lessonplan_details.php?id=s05

Sounds like fun -- seems as if it would be less hassle than a chicken and more rewarding than an apple. :)

Lisa

I can't rep you again, but I would just based on your bravery.

:)

I'm going to do an apple with 4 salts

washing soda

baking soda

salt

equal parts mix of above

and I'll try the fish with the baking soda, as the site that actually mummified it (not just salted and buried it) used it

and I'll try a Cornish hen with salt and washing soda. Looking around the net there have been some adventuresome mummifiers.

BTW, what have people used for the linen? Old sheets??

I'm going to do an apple with 4 salts

washing soda

baking soda

salt

equal parts mix of above

and I'll try the fish with the baking soda, as the site that actually mummified it (not just salted and buried it) used it

and I'll try a Cornish hen with salt and washing soda. Looking around the net there have been some adventuresome mummifiers.

BTW, what have people used for the linen? Old sheets??

Hmmm. You could try old sheets, but I wonder if they would "breathe" enough, kwim? I might be more inclined to try muslin or something else that's more loosely woven. You could still wrap with multiple layers, but it would circulate more air, I would think.

Lisa

They're super easy to use, since they come in long narrow strips. They worked fine.

~Lisa

Oh, I like that idea! Very clever...and simple too. Thanks for that; I'll be using gauze bandages the next time mummifying rolls around.

Lisa