Menu

Does anyone know of any ways to improve my short term memory?

I try to write things down (like things I need to get or do or whatever) as soon as I think of them, but I don't always have the opportunity. I would really like to be able to remember something for more than just a minute or two. I remembered that I was going to ask this question on here when I got home from work today so all the way home I kept saying to myself "memory" ... "memory" ... "memory". Then I wrote it down when I got home.

Any suggestions to help this?

I try to write things down (like things I need to get or do or whatever) as soon as I think of them, but I don't always have the opportunity. I would really like to be able to remember something for more than just a minute or two. I remembered that I was going to ask this question on here when I got home from work today so all the way home I kept saying to myself "memory" ... "memory" ... "memory". Then I wrote it down when I got home.

Any suggestions to help this?

First, I promise that I'm being serious, I am not being flippant or silly (even though that's usually my state of mind). I have to do ridiculous things to remember things short-term. So I end up doing a lot of word association. One trick I use is to make a mental picture of objects not words. For example: if I needed to remember something about a sweater (the kind you wear), then I would mentally picture a person perspiring heavily (get it? a "sweater"?). Seriously. If it's something really mundane such as, oh, I don't know...pencils, I would just picture a really BIG pencil, or the number 2.

Another thing I do is to do really "out there" word association. In your example, rather than repeating "memory" to myself, I would think that "memory" sounds a lot like "mammary" and that would make it stick in my mind (at least long enough to get home & write it down).

If I have to remember a short list of things, then I repeat them a few times in kind of a chant-like tone & associate each item with a finger on my hand (I also picture the items in my head while I'm doing it). For example, today I needed to ask my doctor about three things: a prescription, my back pain, and iron levels. So, I chanted it to myself for just a few times. "Prescription, back pain, iron levels." "Prescription, back pain, iron levels." If you're not sure what I'm talking about, think of that awful (or maybe funny if you like it) Pepto-Bismol commercial where they chant the symptoms.

I don't know if any of that was helpful. I'm sure none of it is "textbook". I'm kind of an oddball anyway, so feel free to ignore any and/or all of this post.

Lisa :)

specifically short term. At least for the elders, it seemed to vary by person. One lady would visualize she was locking her door and putting the keys in her purse to keep her from panicking 30 minutes later and going home to check.

Another might chant "I'm locking the door, I'm checking it with a twist, I'm putting my keys in the purse".

I find I do the standard list and count on my fingers or pat the appropriate item. When I leave a floor (hospital unit), I pat "beeper, mind [cheat sheet], bag, pen, ID, drink". When I get to the door I count with a finger springing up "labs, referral, C6, call urologist, rash, discharge, Anne, eat" and then I bolt on to my next floor. I almost NEVER forget anything I "have" to do.

When I'm reading and want to remember, I periodically stop and chant through them, like the game where a group of people sit in the center and each one says their name or the name of some famous person, and the next person in line has to repeat, in order, all the names that have come before and then name one themselves. I use fingers for this, as well, and any visualization I can realistically apply to the situation.

So, what kind of learner are you? Pick a habit, and develop it. As a mommy I have found "Stop that noise right now, I'm thinking................okay, thanks" and off I go has helped *very* much.

HTH

That was my first thought when I saw the title of your post. For a long time dh would talk about how he didn't feel "right" and he couldn't remember anything. Finally discovered his thyroid was way out of whack. Problems with short term memory can be a side effect of thyroid problems. His memory problems aren't all better but they're some better and he hasn't complained about it for a long time.

This may not apply to you but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Cinder