Menu

Does anyone here have a child that suffers with restless leg syndrome?

I don't know much about this syndrome (except what I see on t.v. commercials and now what I've read on the internet). I think my 11 yr ds might have it. Often, at night, he complains about his "legs acting wierd" and "needing to move them" etc., etc. Truthfully, this is my child with attention issues and I just thought he was goofing off instead of going to sleep but I'm coming to the conclusion that he might really have something "wierd" going on with his legs.

Anyone else have a child with this condition? Any advice?

Thanks.

My husband has it.

There is a homeopathic "treatment" called "Restful Legs" by Hyland's. DH's legs haven't bothered him in a while though, so he hasn't tried it (since I bought it, LOL).

I think that when he is VERY stressed out, they bother him more.

When he regularly goes to P.T. (Physical Training for military) it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I have it. If this is something that has just started have him checked for an iron deficiency. RLS can also be caused by some medications. If it isn't either of those then it could be the kind I have. Either hot or cold will help. I'm a cold person. My feet and legs have to be cold or they get restless.

Some OTC sleep medicines also aggrivate mine. I can't take Tylenol PM. Just something to keep in mind for future reference.

Here is a link to the RLS foundation. You'll find lots of info. http://www.rls.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?&pid=471&srcid=-2

I got to reading about treatments to see if there were any changes since the last time I checked. On this page: http://www.rls.org/NetCommunity/Document.Doc?&id=70 which is a RLS Medical Bulletin there is a section about children and RLS. That section begins on page 27. Hopefully it gives you info you can use.

I would caution the use of any medications for treatment. I can't remember a time in my life that I didn't have RLS. From everything I've read over the last 10 years RLS gets worse as a person gets older. I know that is true with me. And as a person with RLS gets older the dosage of the medication has to increase to keep the same level of comfort. Sort of like the body developing a resistance to the medications. So beginning meds later in life is a good thing. I'm in my early 40s now. I can see having to take the meds by the time I'm 50 - at least in the summer when I can't get cooled off enough.

Feel free to PM me if you feel the need.

My mom and I have it, and now that it has a name, I'm sure I've always had it!

Stretching my legs helps me---I stand Facing the wall, with my hands against the wall and my arms straight out. I back one leg out straight, stretching it (sheesh, this is much easier to do than to describe!) Anyway I do each one, leg straight and stretched for a few seconds. That helps the restless feeling ease up. That's what's worked best for me!

My mom's is much worse. She takes medication for it, but I'm not sure what kind.

I got to reading about treatments to see if there were any changes since the last time I checked. On this page: http://www.rls.org/NetCommunity/Document.Doc?&id=70 which is a RLS Medical Bulletin there is a section about children and RLS. That section begins on page 27. Hopefully it gives you info you can use.

I would caution the use of any medications for treatment. I can't remember a time in my life that I didn't have RLS. From everything I've read over the last 10 years RLS gets worse as a person gets older. I know that is true with me. And as a person with RLS gets older the dosage of the medication has to increase to keep the same level of comfort. Sort of like the body developing a resistance to the medications. So beginning meds later in life is a good thing. I'm in my early 40s now. I can see having to take the meds by the time I'm 50 - at least in the summer when I can't get cooled off enough.

Feel free to PM me if you feel the need.

I'm not interested in medications at this point. It's a new idea in my mind for a boy who sometimes gets in trouble for just goofing around after he's sent to bed. Lately, though, he makes these specific comments about his legs which made me consider RLS.

I'm going to do some more reading and I will probably ask my doctor about iron deficiency since this seems to be relevant.

Thanks for responding.

My mom and I have it, and now that it has a name, I'm sure I've always had it!

Stretching my legs helps me---I stand Facing the wall, with my hands against the wall and my arms straight out. I back one leg out straight, stretching it (sheesh, this is much easier to do than to describe!) Anyway I do each one, leg straight and stretched for a few seconds. That helps the restless feeling ease up. That's what's worked best for me!

My mom's is much worse. She takes medication for it, but I'm not sure what kind.

I did read there are genetic links to this condition. My son is adopted so I don't know if there is such a link in his background.

I will try the stretches (or I should say I'll get him to try them)!

Magnesium, potassium and calcium deficiencies or imbalances can cause RLS. All of these work together, and sometimes it's just one of them that needs to be increased to allow the body to utilize the others and get some relief.

For me, on the advice of a nutritionist (she suggested trying "reverse ration cal/mag" -- that's one part calcium to two parts magnesium) and some trial and error on my part, I found that magnesium was the trick. Calcium and potassium don't make a difference for me -- I think I probably get enough of them as it is -- but taking large (compared to the RDA) doses of magnesium daily makes an *enormous* difference for me. Sometimes in the evening, if we're watching tv, dh will notice me fidgeting and ask if I've forgotten to take magnesium for a few days, and he's always right. And, of course, his quality of sleep is effected by my magnesium intake too!

Stretching and exercising my calf muscles before bed helps too -- but the only real *relief* I get is from large doses of magnesium. Sometimes if it's been a while and I've forgotten to take it, it'll take me a couple of days of large doses (500-1000mg) to completely clear it up. It won't come back if I continue taking smaller doses (250mg/day), but if I forget for a couple of weeks, aaaaaaaaah! For exercises, I do: many relevés; cycles of relevé, plié on demi-pointe, roll down through the balls of my feet to a regular demi-plié, straighten, then back down to demi-plié, roll through the feet up to demi-pointe (while still in plié), straighten knees into a relevé, then roll down through the feet to a stand; running in place; calf stretches...

With a child, I would also encourage Epsom Salt baths before bed (if he's willing to take baths). The warm water will help the muscles relax, and the body can absorb the magnesium it needs from the Epsom salts...

Magnesium, potassium and calcium deficiencies or imbalances can cause RLS. All of these work together, and sometimes it's just one of them that needs to be increased to allow the body to utilize the others and get some relief.

For me, on the advice of a nutritionist (she suggested trying "reverse ration cal/mag" -- that's one part calcium to two parts magnesium) and some trial and error on my part, I found that magnesium was the trick. Calcium and potassium don't make a difference for me -- I think I probably get enough of them as it is -- but taking large (compared to the RDA) doses of magnesium daily makes an *enormous* difference for me. Sometimes in the evening, if we're watching tv, dh will notice me fidgeting and ask if I've forgotten to take magnesium for a few days, and he's always right. And, of course, his quality of sleep is effected by my magnesium intake too!

Stretching and exercising my calf muscles before bed helps too -- but the only real *relief* I get is from large doses of magnesium. Sometimes if it's been a while and I've forgotten to take it, it'll take me a couple of days of large doses (500-1000mg) to completely clear it up. It won't come back if I continue taking smaller doses (250mg/day), but if I forget for a couple of weeks, aaaaaaaaah! For exercises, I do: many relevés; cycles of relevé, plié on demi-pointe, roll down through the balls of my feet to a regular demi-plié, straighten, then back down to demi-plié, roll through the feet up to demi-pointe (while still in plié), straighten knees into a relevé, then roll down through the feet to a stand; running in place; calf stretches...

With a child, I would also encourage Epsom Salt baths before bed (if he's willing to take baths). The warm water will help the muscles relax, and the body can absorb the magnesium it needs from the Epsom salts...

It's amazing how missing some of these elements in your body can really mess things up! (I know this because I suffered from iron deficient anemia and I know how that made me feel.)

I will defnitely try the epsom salts as he does like to bath and warm baths have helped somewhat.

Thanks.

Calcium works for my husband when his RLS gets bad. It doesn't happen all the time with him but when it does, the bed shakes so bad it's like someone jumped on it and wakes me up, but not him, go figure.

Chris

Chris, can you tell me how much calcium he takes when it gets bad? My mom suffers from this (and I can already tell I probably will too when I'm older), and I told her about this discussion. She takes cal/mag supplements, but she wanted me to ask how much is needed to help when it gets bad?

Chris, can you tell me how much calcium he takes when it gets bad? My mom suffers from this (and I can already tell I probably will too when I'm older), and I told her about this discussion. She takes cal/mag supplements, but she wanted me to ask how much is needed to help when it gets bad?

You know, I'm not sure how much he actually takes. It's actually a calcium pill meant for me, as a pre-menopausal woman, to prevent osteoperosis. I think it's higher in mg than regular, but I'm not sure how many he takes at night. Two? I'll find out.

Chris

I don't have RLS, but I have read a lot about how putting a bar of soap in your bed at night will rid the symptoms. No one is really sure why, but it certainly couldn't hurt to try! Many medical doctors have written about this...you might try googling it to find out specifics...I believe there are one or two soaps that won't work. Good luck!

I don't have RLS, but I have read a lot about how putting a bar of soap in your bed at night will rid the symptoms. No one is really sure why, but it certainly couldn't hurt to try! Many medical doctors have written about this...you might try googling it to find out specifics...I believe there are one or two soaps that won't work. Good luck!

I will definitely google it.

And while it seemed to help temporarily (placebo affect?), it didn't fix the problem. But I agree - it sure can't hurt to try.

You know, I'm not sure how much he actually takes. It's actually a calcium pill meant for me, as a pre-menopausal woman, to prevent osteoperosis. I think it's higher in mg than regular, but I'm not sure how many he takes at night. Two? I'll find out.

Chris

Thanks so much--I'd really love to help my mom out on this--she loses a lot of sleep.

My mom has this and has had it for years. She purchased a natural oil product from Nature's Inventory. She says it really does help her. She wakes up a lot during the night as well. She said she has been sleeping much better since she began using the oil. If you read further in the article, there is a way to get a free sample of this oil ($1.30 or so s/h charge). It is worth a try. :)

My mom has this and has had it for years. She purchased a natural oil product from Nature's Inventory. She says it really does help her. She wakes up a lot during the night as well. She said she has been sleeping much better since she began using the oil. If you read further in the article, there is a way to get a free sample of this oil ($1.30 or so s/h charge). It is worth a try. :)

I'll send my mom this link--and with a free sample there is nothing to lose. Thanks!