Menu

How much are you paying for Vision Therapy?

Some friends have just attended an evening meeting on VT. The person giving the talk said that they charge $7,000 for 6 months of treatment.

Is that what you all are paying? Noone attending could afford it so I think his evening was wasted.

Dawn

We are paying $1440 or 12 treatments which would be 3 months. There are discounts if you pay upfront (15% off) or two equal payments within the first month of VT (10%). The base rate is $120/hour.

The price he quoted seems high. I live in a rural area and we are traveling just under 2 hours each way for VT. Our DO/VT is the only one in our region and her location is in a extremely affluent area.

HTH

Our VT charged us $85 an hour 2 years ago but I think now it is more in the $100 an hour range from what I gather in discussions with friends. We were fortunate that our insurance paid most. The initial eval was around $400 however, including glasses. She also did VT in 3 month blocks - 12 sessions- before reevaluating to see if we needed another set of sessions. Honestly I would be leary of someone asking for so much and requiring so many sessions up front. Not every child needs that many sessions.

Some friends have just attended an evening meeting on VT. The person giving the talk said that they charge $7,000 for 6 months of treatment.

Is that what you all are paying? Noone attending could afford it so I think his evening was wasted.

Dawn

I think that number is way out of line from everything I've ever seen on VT.

Three years ago, we paid in the neighborhood of $2500 for 24 weekly VT appointments. The price included occasional progress checks with the optometrist.

The eval was a separate price, and at that time it was only around $125, though I bet it's more now. The other FCOVD person near us charges around $450 for a full-blown ultra-complete evaluation. I don't know what they charge for VT.

We bought by the month for the best price: $560 for 8 half hour sessions (7 with VT, 1 with doc). So that would get us through 4 weeks. We did 3 months of VT for convergence and whatnot, another 2 months for visual processing. Our evaluation was $250 for 2 1/2 hours. Our VT was certified (unusual in our state, which has only 2). The eye doc we used was not a fellow, though another in the practice is, and presumably for the same price. I actually never asked. This lady was terrific, so it was no big deal.

I think part of the difference in pricing could depend on whether a VT or the eye doc him/herself does a lot of the therapy. So we paid about $3000 total for 5 months, when you include the supply kits. Definitely worth it. Absolutely.

Dawn

Yeah, that does sound high. Isn't that close to what Michele was originally quoted? I don't know if it's regional differences or that a doc is doing most of the work for some of the cases or what. Definitely people need to shop around. And one of our months came down when it went through insurance. We don't have eye insurance, but one of the months of vision therapy was actually covered by regular insurance, go figure.

We found a place here that is relatively cheap.. It is a husband and wife team and they are somewhat new, so they have cheaper prices.. Anyway, it's $75 a visit, which equals out to $2400 for 32 sessions.

This is in the Oklahoma City area.

Although we were offered a discount if we payed up front, we could not afford to do that. Ours is $150/hr. He goes weekly and for a 10mos duration. Comes out to $7,000. I've spoken w/ two others in my area (Austin,Tx) and they pay approx. this amount as well. It's not cheap!

Gulp!

My son's initial evaluation of $135 was covered by insurance. After that, each therapy session was $85 for an hour. We paid an additional $65 for a computer program, and also bought a Belgau Balance Board. Our office worked with us because of distance (2.5 hours each way) and let us come monthly and do exercises at home, so we only ended up doing 10 sessions plus another eval, but it took a year. Altogether we spent under $1500 and it made a huge difference here. That's lower than what I usually hear quoted, but $7000 is way higher than what I hear most people saying. Wow! I'd go to www.covd.org and look for options and call around.

Merry :-)

Thanks.

I actually don't think our family will need it, but I was just shocked at the price!

Dawn

Gulp!

My son's initial evaluation of $135 was covered by insurance. After that, each therapy session was $85 for an hour. We paid an additional $65 for a computer program, and also bought a Belgau Balance Board. Our office worked with us because of distance (2.5 hours each way) and let us come monthly and do exercises at home, so we only ended up doing 10 sessions plus another eval, but it took a year. Altogether we spent under $1500 and it made a huge difference here. That's lower than what I usually hear quoted, but $7000 is way higher than what I hear most people saying. Wow! I'd go to www.covd.org and look for options and call around.

Gulp!

I did actually do my homework prior to settling on this doctor. Essentially that's what it costs in the Austin area. Indeed, I've been quoted more at other facilities. She said he will probably need 10mos of therapy so I factored that into my total. I'm working really hard w/ him at home and hoping it turns out to be less time.

We paid $150 for the initial visit. Then at a rate of $120/hour for 40 visits. Total cost $2,880. This includes 4 status checks with the doctor. We were going twice/week with 1 hour sessions on each day (4 sessions/week) to get it finished before the summer, but my insurance would only pay for 2 sessions/week. Either way, our out of pocket costs are $12/session because our insurance pays 90%.

I did actually do my homework prior to settling on this doctor. Essentially that's what it costs in the Austin area. Indeed, I've been quoted more at other facilities. She said he will probably need 10mos of therapy so I factored that into my total. I'm working really hard w/ him at home and hoping it turns out to be less time.

Well definitely the work you do at home will help. Even if it cuts down your total number of visits by 25%, it's still a lot of $$! Keep at it, because your efforts definitely will make a difference.

Our insurance paid for it so I don't know what the actual cost is but my twins went for a year and our copay was $25 per visit. We had a amazing results but I was VERY strict about them doing the exercises each day at home so it wouldn't be a waste of time/money. Even just the $25 was a stretch for us because of all of our other medical costs we have.