Menu

The best $$ you ever spent

on curriculum?

I'm curious.

If you could pick only one thing, which one thing was money well spent for your child?

I ask because I resisted IEW for a long while, due to the expense. Now, if I were to say my ONE thing, I'd have to say IEW TWSS/SWI.

I also was resistant to Teaching Textbooks. I don't believe the materials are mind-blowing amazing, lol, but the TIME they save me sure is!

So, it leaves me wondering what else I'm missing out on, lol.

I'm not discontent in that which we're using, but I am curious. :D

Yikes! Hard to limit it to just ONE item, so I'm just putting the top 10 things that were BIG BUCKS (over $100), but ended up being so VERY worth it. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Non Curriculum items:

1. attended Worldview Academy Christian Leadership summer camp (high school)

2. participated in YMCA Youth & Gov't program (high school)

3. video camera and i-movie software for editing (middle school)

4. fees, equipment, etc. to play on the local public school tennis team (middle school/high school)

5. set aside $300+ each year for extracurricular activities: home school co-op, field trips, theater shows, museum visits, etc. (elementary/middle school) -- but ESP. for me to attend the annual state homeschool convention each year! (a much-needed cheerleading / pep talk / encouragement)

Curriculum items:

1. Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance (high school)

2. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (gr. 7-10)

3. Math-U-See (gr. 4+)

4. dual enrollment in community college for foreign language credit (gr. 11-12)

5. 10-week class by a local filmmaker on using equipment and actually making 2 short films, with all 8 kids being both cast and crew for each film (high school)

on curriculum?

I ask because I resisted IEW for a long while, due to the expense. Now, if I were to say my ONE thing, I'd have to say IEW TWSS/SWI. :D

I am so, right with you. So wish I had gone with IEW way before I did. Older ds would have loved it too.

For my oldest son it was online classes. I know, not really curriculum but it was. Someone else was teaching :). I learned my lesson and 2nd DS took his first online class this past year and is signed up for two next year.

Carole

Hard to limit it!

• Singapore Math, the whole kit and kaboodle-definitely.
  • Writing With Ease (the workbooks)-love them.
  • Right Start math games-held off forever on these. Love them.

For expensive stuff, I'd probably have to say Latin For Children. I resisted, but it looks wonderful (caveat-we haven't started it yet).

MCP math

Home science adventure kits

Write with the best

Primary & intermediate language lessons

Literary lessons from lord of the rings

Little stories for little folks phonics

Oak meadow 4

ArtPacs

Story of the World 1 & 2

Microscope and home chem lab

Backyard pond

Pets and a terrarium cage for outdoor critter finds

Time to be bored enough to think outside the box

Dirt and water and trees

Quality art supplies DO make a difference

Pianimals (Also called Phonics4Piano)

We have a nice piano teacher just next door. The kids get to walk to and from piano lessons once a week. That gives me some one on one time with the other child.

Practicing piano is also is just such a nice way to start the school day. I can also see so many connections between piano and math, and even piano and reading. I'm glad we started lessons when we did.

One nice thing is the piano teacher has a book that she writes the 'notes' from the lesson. I then write done any comments from the week of practicing with the kids. It's nice to sit beside the boy practicing and read over the piano notes from the past week, or even months.

She is also a singing teacher and once when watching my boys (When my dh was fixing her internet - this wasn't a lesson) helped my kids write a sing a song then using a program added music to it. It was very cute and will be Gramma's birthday present next week.

IEW SICC-C (they loved Andrew Pudewa and looked forward to

the weekly lessons. We were all sad when that year ended and we had no more "visits" from Andrew).

Switching to MUS for algebra 2 this year. Bought it new from the company with much dread that it would money wasted. But DD really enjoys it more than anything else she's tried.

Some of the Teaching Company DVDs like the ones for ancient Egypt, etc. Really a nice change of pace.

Love to see the response on this -- great thread!

Since this is a high school thread, do you mean in high school?

Have to say Omnibus 1, hands down. Allowed ds to start a Great Books journey when his mom hadn't quite gotten there in hers.

I posted it on the HS board because that's where the more experienced mamas generally are... It could be anything over our "careers" of homeschooling. Goodness knows we learn an awful lot over years of homeschooling and might use things with our littles that we didn't with the older children. I didn't break down and use IEW or TT until this year. So, no, it wasn't just limited to high school materials, but I was hoping to hear from the experienced mamas. ;)

If I had to choose just one thing I'd say music lessons. My kids have learnt patience, hard work, and commitment, as well as discovering great music and composers. Watching my childern go through the Suzuki programme (and beyond) has been amazing. What they learn in their music lessons pays off in life.

Other things that have been well worth the money:

Teaching Company courses

Classical Writing

Art of Problem Solving

Life of Fred

Singapore Math

Didache Textbooks

Analytical Grammar

Artistic Pursuits

Microscope

Science kits

Latin for Children

L'Art de Lire

Athenaze

Classical Academic Press Logic books

Books, lots and lots of living books

ALEKS subscriptions for all the kids. I hate grading math. My kids do more math than just that, but they self-check their other work (except my daughter, and usually bossy oldest son checks hers for her.) Having the computer provide instant feedback and regular assessment saves me the endless guilt of math grading backlogs. :p Since math grading backlogs tended to lead to backtracking, it's a huge benefit to our homeschool.

Hmm, nobody mentioned R&S Grammar, but that's one of my faves that I use every year! But I'm a grammar nut, so maybe that's why. It's cheap and sturdy and GOOD.

Also, Thinkwell Calculus. Ds1 claims this as his favorite course ever. It's all on dvd, w/an online grading component. Taught by a talented university professor. What more could I want?

We also like R&S English, though it dosen't really excite me. I think it's the only things we've used from the start and never changed. Math Mammoth is our best $ spent ever. I tried lots of math programs and this is definately what I was looking for. I think we're going to love TOG, but i haven't actually started using it yet.

We also like R&S English, though it dosen't really excite me. I think it's the only things we've used from the start and never changed.

Interesting thing about this... We used R & S Grammar from the beginning as well. We really burned out on it after Ana's sixth grade year. Because of the suggestions in TWTM I decided to use it for Ana's English credit this year for high school and purchased the eighth year book. I'm REALLY glad we started with it again. I think it's providing valuable emphasis to our writing program. It inspired me to begin again with R & S grammar for Christian and Elizabeth.

IEW's Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization. I'd chuck everything else and keep that if I only had one choice.

As you're the second person to love it, can you tell me why you love it and what you feel it's added to your homeschooling? Is it significantly different than just randomly memorizing poetry. (This is what we do now which is why I ask.)

Well, I'm an afterschooler who uses homeschooling material. My favorite with the absolute favorite bolded:

Rod and Staff Grammar, although I think we will be switching over to Analytical Grammar soon.

Philosophy for Kids

Singapore Math --> NEM --> AoPS!

SOTW

Core Knowledge Sequence for ideas

Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch for book suggestions

Realms of Gold anthologies by Core Knowledge -- see a pattern here? ;)

Other:

Parents' advice from these message boards has been the best

Music lessons

Chicago Shakespeare Theater and museums

Travel

As you're the second person to love it' date=' can you tell me why you love it and what you feel it's added to your homeschooling? Is it significantly different than just randomly memorizing poetry. (This is what we do now which is why I ask.)[/quote']

I guess because it serves a bigger purpose than just memorizing poetry. It becomes a jumping off point for all sorts of interesting learning that I don't think would have taken place otherwise. It's a vocabulary builder and helps with geography, history, spelling, literary analysis, and a bunch of other things. Plus, it's just fun!

Whenever we start a new poem we look up words we're unfamiliar with in the dictionary. Sometimes we do an internet search if it's a particularly interesting/foreign word. We just had to look up the work "yak" and needed to find out where the "plains of Tibet" were, both from the poem The Yak, by Hilaire Belloc.

We talk about the poems' meaning if we can, so we're discussing and deciphering and thinking deeply. We look up the history of the poem and the history of the poet. When did the poet live? How did his history affect the kind of poetry he wrote? Who was Alfred, Lord Tennyson, and why did he write Charge of the Light Brigade? Who fought in the Crimean War and why?

We draw lessons of life out of the poems as well. What can you help a child learn by discussing the The Spider and the Fly, by Mary Howitt? We talk about how not to be taken in by someone trying to lure them with flattery and charm. We learn not to cry wolf, and have a fun time doing it, by learning Matilda: Who Told Lies, and Was Burned to Death.

It just goes on and on. There's so much to be learned from poetry if you let it take you on a ride. I think if you're just memorizing it you're losing out on SO MUCH. There are depths to be plumbed in poetry and this program gives me a starting point.

Dramatized audio of the KJV Bible and Pilgrim's Progress. My youngest son wore the cassette tapes out. He became bilingual in modern and older English and later on tackled the Great Books like they were Dick and Jane readers.

Would you please let me know which ones? My son loves cds and I think I could convince him to listen to these ;) What a good thought!! :)

$40 a year for neighboring town library

I was going to say this, too. However, in our case it's now $100.00 per year. Then there is our local library which we pay for through property tax dollars. These two libraries have added immensely to our homeschooling.

Regards,

Kareni

For dd--MFW fits her PERFECTLY, we love it! 2nd place for her would be R&S English. She liked it for a couple of years

For ds now 17--LoF Beginning and Advanced Algebra, he LOVED it! Also, R&S English--he and I did a lot of it orally together and we had the greatest time! He HATED grammar before, no matter what we tried, but he learned so much and really enjoyed it with R&S!

For ds now 19--BJU 10th grade DVDs, especially the grammar. They had a schedule all set out and he thrived on it! 2nd place for him would be Video Text Algebra. He didn't love it, but he learned well from it!

Homeschool Tracker, hands down.

Rod and Staff Grammar. The one consistent thread through my kids education!

Every penny spent on Scouts.

Co-op class for Apologia Science. Oldest ds has now taken General, Physical, Biology and Chem. via this route. I'm completely hands off.

Schola Classical Tutorials Great Books courses, Artesian Wells Latin courses online.

Audiobooks and iPods

Phonetic Zoo

A house with a pool. Just the thing for 5 energetic boys.

P90X (for my high school boys). I was skeptical when they wanted it, but boy have they stuck with it. My oldest ds is so physically fit, it's amazing.

Summer Swim team

on curriculum?

I'm curious.

If you could pick only one thing, which one thing was money well spent for your child?

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Everything we've done since has been possible due to what my dc learned using that book.

Other best purchases have been --

Teaching Textbooks -- for high school level math for the non-mathy

Life of Fred series -- for high school level math for the math lover

SOTW & the SOTW activity guides. The dc particularly loved SOTW1!

Rod & Staff Phonics Cards

Singapore Math (the elementary ones)

Various Audio Memory products (Geography Songs, in particular)

Veritas Press History Songs & Cards for Explorers to 1815 and 1815 to Present

Usborne First Book of Nature -- and other Usborne and DK titles -- Great in the elementary years!

The Miller Family series -- great for character development; Our 24 Family Ways -- the same

IEW's Student Writing Intensive and Essay Intensive

Edited by HeatherInWI
adding more favorites

I'd love to hear you elaborate on this or maybe I'll start another thread... We spent the $$ on the "good" version ;) but really we don't utilize is as it's intended.

Well, I paid for the "good" version, too. Honestly, I can't even remember the main differences. I spent loads of time over the summer inputting lesson plans for each and every subject. I've also used the binder method for organizing my kids weekly work (see one of the longsest threads here)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189482

Anyhow, just having a master plan and weekly/daily assignment sheets has helped to keep us on track. Between HST and filing/binder methods, we're actually finishing on time, and even early for some subjects.

I'm certain that I don't use it to it's full potential. The "how-to" manual is gigantic. We're going on a trip to Colorado for a couple of weeks in May, and I plan to bring my laptop loaded with HST and play around with it, read through the manual, and learn some new tricks to make things even easier for next year. But what I've used it for this year (lesson plans and generating a dailiy/weekly assignment report for each child) has been perfect. Hope that answers your question! I'm not a pro by any means, but I'm using what little I know.

Singapore Math - It has worked for all of my kids even though each of them has a different learning style.

Story of the World - It's a favorite with all 3 kids.

Calvert Spelling on CD - It literally worked like a magic charm for my middle child who is mildly dyslexic and struggled greatly with spelling.

Barton Reading & Spelling - This is priceless for my severely dyslexic kid.

A library card for the next county over - Homeschooling could get extremely expensive without this $25/year card.

Edited by LizzyBee

Quote: Originally Posted by Hunter

Dramatized audio of the KJV Bible and Pilgrim's Progress. My youngest son wore the cassette tapes out. He became bilingual in modern and older English and later on tackled the Great Books like they were Dick and Jane readers.

Would you please let me know which ones? My son loves cds and I think I could convince him to listen to these ;) What a good thought!! :)

Times have changed, and what is available is different. For the KJV, look for multi voices with sound effects and without southern or strong Boston accents. They distract from the KJV in my opinion.

Also listen to the voice of God. Do you want it booming or gentle? This could have a lasting impression on how your child views God.

Pilgrim's Progress had characters with strong accents from around the world and that was part of it's charm though. There was an Irish or Scottish accent that was hysterical, for one of the characters.

Right now I have a dramatized Go Bible app on my iPad which is pretty good.

It is also good to supplement with one person reading to model reading aloud vs the acting that is done for the dramatized versions. I find the background music to be too loud for James Earle Jones and that is a shame.

It is also good to supplement with a paraphrase version of the epistles, which are particularly difficult to understand in the KJV.

One of my sons was always an atheist. One was an off and on Christian. The always atheist child claims that his Bible education was the single most important part of his education, and thanks me for forcing it upon him :-0 He didn't wear out tapes like his brother, but he did attend family worship every morning and read from the KJV. He took off for Las Vegas at barely 19, after entirely putting himself through junior college, even purchasing his own health insurance, and made a life for himself. At 24 he is married, manages one of the most successful Game Stop stores in the country and just finished building his first house. And again and again thanks the KJV Bible and the history/geography he learned in family worship time :-0

As far as foundational things (K ~ 6) --

Singapore Math

Saxon Phonics

Sonlight readers (w/WTM discussion ideas)

Prima Latina & Latina Christiana

middle school --

Rainbow science

IEW

Dolciani math

Henle Latin

high school --

Conceptual Physics

Dolciani/Brown math

on-line/outsourced literature courses

Latin reading materials

For my current soph in college, the sonlight readers/history got him through school in general. Even though he's an engineer at heart, I really enjoyed seeing the history/lit side of him grow. He also benefited tremendously from the time he had for self-directed learning in areas outside of our normal "curriculum".

For my current frosh in high school, Latin has been our consistent companion since the 2nd grade (thank you, SWB). Couple that with the SL readers, chronological study of history (from TWTM), and Bible studies, and he's got a tremendous foundation for understanding the human story.

Latin has been hard at times, and in the early years, it's somewhat difficult to see where all the grammar you are learning is headed. However, once you've mastered the grammar and can begin to pick-up books and stories in Latin, the huge payoff comes. Sadly, I don't think many stick it out that far. If you do, the result is just beautiful.

Brenda

Edited by Brenda in MA