Menu

How do you teach a nonverbal kid to read?

My ds (4) is autistic and completely nonverbal. He can't speak because of apraxia, which also affects his fine motor skills. He gets regular OT (and ST) and uses a communication device.

He has been attending full-day public school spec ed preschool since he turned 3, and I can't say it has done wonderful things for him. They won't provide ABT for him (grrrr) because they say he is meeting his IEP goals just fine without it. :001_rolleyes: He can identify all the capital letters by name as well as sound. I plan on working on lowercase letters with him this summer while he's home. He's so desperate to learn; it's an excellent motivator for him. He LOVES being able to answer questions when people ask him about the alphabet. My problem is that I'm not sure what to do *after* that. Where do you go after identification with a nonverbal child?

His communication device has text along with the spoken sound, so he is getting some basic sort of environmental print/labeling there, but I wouldn't say he is able to read on text alone, other than names. I don't want to let him stagnate over the summer. We will definitely be working on some fine motor skills and number sense, but I am having difficulty thinking of what to do with him with reading.

are Teaching Language Deficient Children (excellent resource)

and Reading Milestones

Another great resource is Linguisystems.com

Baby crying, gotta go. Good luck!

Wow. Those look interesting to me, but I sure can't afford $150 for one book, and I can't seem to find one any cheaper. Can you tell me more about the Dubard method?

I wouldn't know, but came to look at the thread because my kiddo is language delayed.

If he can learn the names, then presumably he'll learn the sounds too. Wouldn't he then be able to move onto syllables? Look for ElizabethB's posts if you haven't seen them already.

Rosie

I wouldn't know, but came to look at the thread because my kiddo is language delayed.

If he can learn the names, then presumably he'll learn the sounds too. Wouldn't he then be able to move onto syllables? Look for ElizabethB's posts if you haven't seen them already.

Rosie

He knows the letter sounds already (thank you LeapFrog Letter Factory!). He does sometimes get short i and short e mixed up, but that's it. It amazes us that he picked it up so quickly. I have discovered in just the past couple of days, that he will willingly attempt sounds if he knows that I will write the corresponding letter for him. Considering that he has only had two sounds (mmmm and ah), this is a Big Deal. I can't wait to tell his ST.

He has kind of a double whammy with the autism and apraxia, and it is easy for him to "check out" when he gets frustrated or overwhelmed, so we are always on the lookout for activities that both challenge and entertain him.

I will go look for ElizabethB's posts now. Thanks!

Have you looked into PROMPT speech therapy? http://www.promptinstitute.com

I have a picture dictionary I'm using with my ds who is apraxic (2 1/2) but not autistic. http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Forneys-Picture-Speller-Writers/dp/0965242226

Kindergarten.com has all their apps (in the itunes store, the things you use on ipods/phones/ipads) for free this month.

I know none of those are exactly what you needed, but I was just tossing them out. PROMPT has been tremendous for us with the apraxia. When I did the parent workshop, there was a mom there with a 14/15 yo teenage boy with autism who communicated with boards, was homeschooled, and wanted to learn to TALK. She was trying PROMPT. It's pretty amazing and very different from regular speech therapy. Might be something to check into.

Yes, apraxia and autism occur frequently together. And yes, they really do withdraw from the lack of ability to communicate. We saw it in my ds, and we didn't realize the extent until we saw how he opened up as his speech started to come with the therapy. There are even some kids who lose the autism diagnosis once they get the apraxia treated. I guess that's sort of disheartening if you've already tried a lot. I'm just saying don't give up on the speech thing. PROMPT can be amazing. My ds has moderate apraxia, had 2 sounds and one word when we started, and he has made progress. You've probably also tried nutritional stuff. There are definitely some things that help with it for some kids. Have you joined the apraxiakids yahoo group?

I have heard about PROMPT. The ST Ds sees assures me that he is getting "basically" this method, even though she is not specifically trained in it. I have my doubts, but as I have been unable to find more than ten seconds of video on youtube, I can not say for sure that she is wrong. I think I will contact them and ask about providers or training in my area, though.

DS loves the kindergarten.com apps! We have several, but if they are free, I will have to go back and expand our collection, LOL! Thanks for the tip. :)

Oh my lands. Not only is your SLP feeding you a line, but you're going to be very, very upset when you see how different real PROMPT is with a certified PROMPT therapist. Don't screw around. You want REAL PROMPT, not "prompting" or cuing. And there are levels of knowledge. There are multiple levels of workshops and then a certification process. I had an SLP, the first one we visited, tell me she would do PROMPT, and this was a nice lady, not somebody you'd think of as lying to your face! Went home, talked with the PROMPT institute people on the phone, learned that lady WASN'T on their list, had NEVER even taken a workshop, and never went back.

Now the SLP we use is certified in PROMPT. If you can find someone who is, it's worth the effort. If you can't, use what you can find. Some of these people I think take the course for continuing education credits but never really implement it whole-heartedly. The way our SLP puts it is that she *thought* she knew PROMPT after she had taken her first course. Then she took the rest of the courses and got certified. By the time she finished getting certified, she could look back and realize how much she didn't know.

So no, don't take your SLP's answer like that. Seek a 2nd opinion. I pass by 3 others closer but not certified so I can go to this lady who is certified. She's THAT good. It's AMAZING. The first day she had my ds talking. You don't know what they can do until you get in there.

Let me see if I can dig up the long video on youtube that explains PROMPT. Here, this is the long one. It's worth the effort to wade through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9KOMtY-N0

Edited by OhElizabeth

BTW, I apologize for being way over-opinionated on this topic. It just still galls me I guess. That first therapist wasn't going to diagnose apraxia (he was 2 at the time), said they'd work on "communication" (which I didn't need, we had communication, I wanted him to TALK!). Basically, she had no way to help him and she knew it. Oh she said she would "prompt" him eventually, maybe around age 3, blah blah.

I took my ds to the PROMPT therapist, she sat him down and could literally get words out of him.

So yes, these are big stakes. Just brings out the tiger in us, eh?

Are you doing any sign language with him? Sign works the same language part of the brain as speech. I was able to get all the Signing Time videos on the amazon marketplace in one box for $150. It was a lot at the time (ouch!), but it's so nice to have all 30+ videos. They use the sign in speech therapy too, using it interchangeably.

Thank you so much for that video!!! Oh my goodness, I spent so much time on youtube, trying to find something like that! I will scratch out some time for myself later today to watch it. I will definitely be looking into these PROMPT and Dubard methodologies.

I'm usually a "trust your gut" kind of person, and for some time now, I've had my doubts about this ST's effectiveness with my son. She does a co-treat with OT, and I suspect that is the only reason she is able to get anything out of him--by motivating him with the OT's activities. He doesn't seem to really "click" with her, but this is the best place in town and there was a long waiting list for speech. We grabbed the first one they offered us, because it would have meant months and months waiting around for another chance. Last week, I asked her if we could increase his sessions (he goes 1hr/week, in one session) because I'd read that apraxic kids need shorter, more frequent therapy sessions. She told me that the work I do with him the other 6 days is "therapy" and that's enough for him. I didn't buy it, but like I said, I am kind of stuck with that place. I have asked to change his therapy time to after school hours, so if they do that, he will definitely be getting a different ST.

He uses some signs, but has great difficulty doing them accurately. Therapists have explained that this is a result of the motor planning issues related to his apraxia. He uses very basic ones (eat, more, please, drink, cracker) very well. For other things, he relies on his device (ProLoQuo2Go on an iPod). He uses a GoTalk at school, but I believe they limit its use--he doesn't get to keep it with him; the teacher keeps it on a stand out of his reach until she decides it is time for him to talk. It is NOT supposed to work that way, but several things have happened to make me think this is the case. :( He refuses to use the GoTalk at home, because it doesn't say what he wants. Once his pointing ability improved, we were able to go the PLQ route, and he has done amazingly well. The other day I was using my iPad, and ds used his iPod to tell me, "I want/to use the computer/to watch tv." When I gave it to him, he promptly started up a video of Sesame Street! YAY!

At his school, they act like it's wonderful that he can correctly identify pictures, and look at me with pitying disbelief when I tell them that he composes sentences at home. I know when I ask for changes to his IEP to reflect some academic standards for the first time, they will resist and think I am crazy.

Have you tried searching for deaf schools with apraxia programs? In our state several cities have programs that integrate deaf, apraxic, and hearing sibling children. I also met someone using our SLP whose dd has motor skills problems, and the therapists in that apraxia program teach the girl a modified ASL. So there are actually modifications they can make to help them still communicate with sign. Seems like you're getting a lot of "can'ts" kwim? There are definitely more options out there. I've also talked with someone who moved their family from another state to ours to put their severely apraxic dc in that integrated apraxic/deaf classroom and use a certified PROMPT therapist. I know that sounds drastic, but in this dc's case it was the lengths they had to go to. Like you, they kept hitting walls with local options.

BTW, I drive 2 hours each way for our SLP. Yes there's a lot you can do with him at home, but you really need something uber-effective like PROMPT for that to work with only 1-2 sessions a week. With regular speech therapy, it's so much less effective that they usually want many more. The kicker is money. When the school is paying, they're not exactly motivated to sign off on that much therapy, kwim?

So yes, they usually want PROMPT 1-2 times a week. It's the kind of thing where they put in a lot, you carry over at home, and it needs time to GEL. Sometimes what they'll do, when it's a really long way to travel, is have the child come in for a week or whatever timeframe of intensive therapy. If have you have to travel a long way, it's something to consider. If you're going to do that, again get someone who is certified or at least has the level 2 training. Our SLP had a boy come in to do that for a week, and when he came back a couple months later he was talking, initiating his thoughts in sentences. I don't know what could happen with your dc, but traveling for a week of intensive might give you another option.

Just out of curiousity, is your boy in the preschool in order to qualify for services? Would he qualify for services if you brought him home at some point? See with PROMPT, I like that he's at home, where I can reinforce his progress. Your goal is to change his world so that things begin to require speech. Your PROMPT therapist will get a skill, and then you're going to want to be able to require that over and over and over for him to get what he wants. And you'll have to use the PROMPTS for him to be able to say it (/a/, whatever). And the more, more, more he uses the target sounds or words, the easier it gets, till finally he starts initiating it on his own. I think the work I do with him at home, carrying it over as much as sanely possible, definitely is responsible for his progress. And really, there's a lot you can do. I think I could fill 3 hours a day with him working on this stuff, if I had the time and energy, lol. By the time we read together, watch a sign language video together, so some work on our speech skills and targets, do a craft, go to the piano to sing (I take his targets and just let him sing them over and over in non-sense syllables as we play), etc. There's just a ton you can do with him at home.

I understand if you're busy or if it works better to have him gone. I just wanted to throw that out as something to consider at some point. If you're constantly fighting the system, sometimes it's easier to bring him home and do it yourself. No one is more dedicated to his cause, that's for certain.

Anything that's good for the 4 yo will probably be good with the 2 yo. You might teach him to sit in a booster seat for a while doing activities, if you haven't done that. Your tag says she's a pistol, hehe. So is my 2 yo. Makes life interesting. Our saving grace are videos (Little Bear, Thomas the Train, Leapfrog, Signing Time) and that we taught him to sit in a high chair or booster seat for quite a while. We just keep funneling little activities to him.

Well do some searching on that modified signing and see what you get. You'd use terms like modified or approximations. And don't let them freak you out with stories that his IQ is low or he can't get it or this or that. It might be. But it might be that they can't see his potential because it's all locked up. Our SLP has all kinds of stories of kids labeled as things that didn't turn out to be true once they could get the speech out and communicate.

And I'll throw this last thing out and then shut up. There's some measure of connection between vaccines and apraxia. I've never vaccinated my child, and he is apraxic. So it's not like it's an absolute or anything. However our SLP has some stories of kids who regressed dramatically after a period of therapy when they were given more vaccines. If you have any choice or plans there, you might want to do some thinking and research. There's also quite a bit of improvement possible with nutrition. Many people use fish oil with their kids and get surges in speech. Fish oil makes my ds smell fishy, so we use flax. With that he gets DRAMATIC improvement in ability to make his sounds, and he clams up when we forget to give it to him for a few days. There are also some products like Nutriveyda that have amino acids and whatnot that are doing really well for some kids. So those are more things you can research. For us, the difference with the oils is SO dramatic, I can't imagine making progress without. My guess is the PROMPT therapist will have some advice for you on that. It was one of the first things our therapist said when we walked in the door.

Just a thought here, I have not dealt with autism but I have dealt with severe speech delays. Child #1 did not speak until she was almost 4 due to hearing loss issues we didn't know about. It was frustrating for all involved and lead to many many horrific tantrums due to her not being able to communicate her needs. Signing was just coming into her SDC class when she left but just the little bit she got really helped. With child #2 she was given a dx at 5 months old that commonly leads to deafness (she had no response to a bell rung right next to her ear during her IDP eval which triggered a full hearing checkup), we promptly began teaching baby signs. I'm glad I did as she ended up with a speech delay as well but she learned a lot of signs and it wasn't that big a deal since we could communicate. Real sign language was over my head and hard for her to do with muscle tone issues so the baby signs worked great. Its just a thought:)

Now on to the reading, my thought is how is he at video games on the computer? Can he operate a mouse or touch screen? (I found a touch screen overlay for $1 at a thrift shop, I see them on ebay for about $30) I'm wondering if an online reading program like headspout, explodethecode, reading egggs, something like that would work. It wouldn't rely on him needing to speak at all and he would just need to be able to identify the correct answer and move things around on the screen. For my little one I usually just have her point and I click if were not using the touch screen since she can not move the mouse fast enough, works for us:)

I found the DuBard book very useful to me - it really helped me understand what my son's difficulties were and how to tackle them. I received a copy through inter-library loan and it came from a university library on the other side of the country (Canada). Well worth finding, even if inter-library loan has a charge added to it. I do have a synopsis of the theory, you can PM me your email and I'll send it if you're interested. At least it can tell you if the book is worth investing in...

Also, Tammy Glaser deals with apraxia and autism with her daughter and has a blog with many details of therapies that helped her daughter. I think that's where I found out about the DuBard book. She has a detailed topical index in her side-bar and has always been very generous with her time in helping me think through problems. Her blog is

Aut-2B-Home in Carolina - you might want to check it out.

I know nothing at all about the PROMPT method.

Anyways, gotta run. Best advice... persistence. It will take time and patience - LOTS of both. But your son can learn! Good luck!:001_smile:

OhElizabeth, I never thought of a deaf school. :smacks forehead: DUH. The state deaf and blind school is about 15 minutes away from me! It makes me kind of angry that in nearly 3 years of dealing with various therapists and experts, not ONE has ever mentioned the things I've heard about on this thread. :001_huh:

The Boy is in public school because when he was 3 and EI was ending, we had no insurance and the only way he could continue getting ST was to go through the school district. At the time, my oldest was also in school, so it seemed like the natural place to be. The first 5 months were terrible; he was just not ready, I think, and was in a class far too advanced for him. This year has gone better, in that he's met a lot of his IEP goals, but we've hit a wall with them wrt the autism and other issues. They won't even recognize apraxia; the school district claims it is "nothing but an articulation disorder". Really.

I feel guilty for not seeking out more information about apraxia. :( For so long, we avoided the specter of autism by focusing on his communication, and then when we couldn't avoid it any longer and he was actually diagnosed, it seems that overshadowed everything else for a while. When I can step back and be somewhat objective, I can see that it's not the autism that causes him the most hardship in his everyday life; it's the lack of speech. Yes, I'd like for him to be more sociable with his peers, and yes, it would be nice if he didn't hum or flap his hands, but those things are not what causes tantrums or screaming meltdowns out in public; it's his inability to communicate his needs.

I suppose I've also been overwhelmed; DH's last job had him working more than he was at home, so everything was falling on my shoulders, and it was just too much. I had to pick my battles and employ some serious tunnel vision just to deal from day to day. Now things are looking up for us, and dh's new job means that we *finally* have enough money to pay our bills and breathe a little. My hope is that I can use this summer to really work with him; he is on spring break this week and has been joining us at the table during "work time". He is pretty good about sitting in a chair for 15-20 minutes to focus on a task. He also wants to do whatever his older sister is doing, so if she is doing copywork or handwriting, he wants a paper and pencil, too. (He is still just scribbling, though. I hope to get him to start tracing this summer.)

Blue Taelon, you have blown me away with the touchscreen idea. I did not know such things existed! Maybe I have been under a rock and didn't realize it? :confused: That would be spectacular for DS. He is quite good with the iPod Touch, but can't use a mouse to save his life.

Oh, and as for my youngest, Bug? As my sig says, she is a tagalong. Has to be doing whatever the older kids are doing, and she has amazed us all with her verbal ability and ability to pick up skills without direct teaching. She can already count to 13, knows all her letters and their sounds, and can hold a pencil properly. She is more than happy to join us for whatever we are doing. Until she gets bored, and sneaks off with our puppy to find trouble, LOL.

It's interesting to hear that your dd2 is normal for speech. I've been somewhat concerned that if we had another the new baby would have problems too. We just don't know what caused it, kwim?

No, you shouldn't feel guilty. You did the best you knew, and you're here finding more info to continue to do the best you can. That's all anyone can do.

Yes, see what the deaf school might offer! At the very least they could help you on the signing end. Surely they'll have someone who can work with him and teach him signs that fit his motor skill level. But don't compromise on the speech therapist. Call the PROMPT institute and see what your options are. It's not like you have to trust just *1* place on this. I know someone who blends the school services with private. She pays to go to a PROMPT-certified SLP once a week, and then the school pays for an additional session with the school therapist who is learning PROMPT from the certified therapist. In other words, it went into the IEP that the dc needed *PROMPT* and that's what they're making happen. No clue if you can get that. Just see what your resources are.

I was just reading an article on auditory processing as it connects to verbal apraxia. There is of course also an auditory processing component to dyslexia (which my dd has). So you can have deafness/hearing loss, but you can also have processing problems. It was an issue our SLP covered with us, and at that stage it was pretty clear we weren't dealing with hearing loss, meaning we moved forward with the speech therapy. But that article on verbal apraxia and auditory processing was kind of interesting. I just read part of it, didn't even finish before I shut my computer down (meaning I need to find the link), so I haven't had a chance to ask our SLP about it. I'm guessing it's in the mix for some kids and not others.

:grouphug:

That is a challenge. Here are some ideas:

I like abc pocket phonics for the iPad/iPhone.

Also, online the only program I like is Read, Write, Type. It is easy to use, both my children used it at a young age with no problems, my daughter at 4, my son at 5. http://www.talkingfingers.com/

I would work on phonics through spelling for now and work on phonemic awareness type activities. You could have him try to spell the syllabary and then work through the speller, here is my son's progress through it this year for K. He finally got to 2 syllable words today!

Here is a free book with some phonemic awareness activities:

http://books.google.com/books?id=bcMRAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Also, you may want to try/think about the possibility of Visible Speech, it was developed by Alexander Graham Bell's father for deaf children, it is very interesting and might help in this case.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EGwKAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=visible+speech+bell#v=onepage&q&f=false

Finally, my student with apraxia and all my students with speech difficulties do better with marked prints. Burnz' print is marked (phonemic awareness link author), and so is my UPP, also the 1879 McGuffey readers.

Here is Burnz' primer from Don Potter:

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf_files/burnz_step_by_step_primer.pdf

Edited by ElizabethB

Guest kaseyharr

I am a military member with a 14 year old non verbal Autistic son with Apraxia, he has not spoken in almost 13 years, only humming and yelling noises. We are preparing to be reassigned and we are preparing for a big move. At a recent IEP while talking to his teacher we have found he has been having quite a bit of difficulty with any progress in reading, or the alphabet for that matter. I am working with him at home and I have the Leapfrog Letter Factory, however he does not like watching it. I went this route because he loves watching movies. He is quite smart, but very stubborn. He communicates with an Communication Device (PRK) and does well, but we are trying to expand his capabilities. I know this is late for him to learn this, we have been told that he is now at the mental stage of a 4 yr old, I believe that if he can learn to read it may help with his speech. Any assistance anyone could provide would be quite helpful. Thank you.

I am a military member with a 14 year old non verbal Autistic son with Apraxia, he has not spoken in almost 13 years, only humming and yelling noises. We are preparing to be reassigned and we are preparing for a big move. At a recent IEP while talking to his teacher we have found he has been having quite a bit of difficulty with any progress in reading, or the alphabet for that matter. I am working with him at home and I have the Leapfrog Letter Factory, however he does not like watching it. I went this route because he loves watching movies. He is quite smart, but very stubborn. He communicates with an Communication Device (PRK) and does well, but we are trying to expand his capabilities. I know this is late for him to learn this, we have been told that he is now at the mental stage of a 4 yr old, I believe that if he can learn to read it may help with his speech. Any assistance anyone could provide would be quite helpful. Thank you.

I attended a parent workshop for PROMPT where a mom was learning the method to help her teenage, non-verbal apraxic son. It might be something to look into. http://www.promptinstitute.org Can he use sign language? It also works the language part of the brain and can be used as a bridge. So you'd sign the letter he sees on the Leapfrog video (I use this with my ds too!), sign while doing an alphabet puzzle, etc.

In the meantime... As you process all the other advice, I will share what we did with a child that was not autistic but had severe CP and was not verbal. Her mother was determined that she would read. E had a communication device as well so we set up every single lesson in a multiple choice format that required her touching the correct answer. It was more difficult in the beginning teaching the sounds because we had to give wrong sounds and such, but eventually E would match correct sounds to the letter, blend, etc. Then we went to blending the same way. She would have to match the correct choice with what we said. It was slow going and hard. But, 2 years later when she had surgery to relieve the presure on her chest cavity (and she could talk again), she was able to read aloud on her own.

Guest kaseyharr

Thank you for the advice. He does sign, very little, mostly the sign for more. His fine motor skills are quite limited especially when he gets over stimulated.

• 3 years later...

I have a an autistic and possibly severe apraxic child. Our local deaf school is School of the deaf in Fremont. I am not seeing any kind of integration program. Basically since he is not deaf, he cannot enter. 

Am I not knocking on the right doors? Am I using the wrong terminology? 

He did get accepted to CEID in Berkeley once a week but they teach SEE not ASL. And not very supportive if I want my son to use ASL.