Menu

27 Reasons NOT to Buy HOD...

silliness7

My HOD catalog came in the mail Saturday and I am drooling. I have not used an all-in-one type of curriculum before but am wondering if in my desire to KISS that I'm not developing as full of a program as I might for my dc.

So maybe a "program" will help me both to keep it simple and also to flesh things out better or make better connections to enhance my dc's education.

You might recognize the title is a spin-off of an article in the Sonlight catalog. Would you past/present HOD users please fill in the blank. I want to make sure that I've thought this through.

27 Reasons NOT to Buy HOD...

My reason #1 is.....If you already own TOG Year 1 and want to get off the decision-making roller coaster, then HOD might not be for you. :lol:

Obviously not a very compelling reason because I'm not getting off the ride. Help please. :001_smile:

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combining is difficult with HOD. You will inevitably have various learning groups, each studying their own history time period and science topics. With multiple kids you have to run multiple guides..... this is my ONE hang up with HOD. Have been ready to roll and I just.can't.get.past.this. I want my oldest 3 kids to study together as much as possible and I don't want to separate my oldest from the middlers...

Other than that HOD is absolutely lovely. :001_smile:

#3 If you are a non-evangelical or Reformed protestant Christian or someone looking for a secular program, HOD may not be for you. It is VERY difficult to secularize or even just remove the parts that are a problem without dismantling the whole program and starting over.

#4 If you don't fully buy into the Charlotte Mason LA concepts of shorter lessons and somewhat delayed grammar, HOD may be a problem. HOD uses R&S, but on a delayed schedule. It is also light in the early years in most areas, but particularly so in LA and science, which may be a problem for more classically oriented users.

#5 If you like the CM concept of reading and discussing great books, you may be disappointed in HOD. HOD uses wonderful books, but conversations are very scheduled and directed. CM advocates letting the books speak for themselves. HOD pushes DITHOR, which does early and very scheduled literary analysis. HOD is also very scripted, which is nice for Moms who need the help, but it can get in the way of people looking for a true CM book program.

JMO. I bought a level and just couldn't make it work for the combining issue and my reasons listed above. I think HOD works well IF you are their kind of Christian, IF you want something really scheduled and scripted and IF you can relax into the CM way of doing things in the early grades. I could have handled my #4, but the others pushed me over the edge. Which is a shame, because I loved the idea of it.

Edited by Asenik

I've never used it but I do have a reason that seems valid to me. I've seen the author/owner and her sister power trip one too many times on the HOD boards. In the end I couldn't buy a curriculum from someone who couldn't take criticism and seemed bent on shutting down anyone who didn't want to do the program exactly the way it was laid out. That was a real turn off to me. It's a shame too b/c I really liked a lot of it and had considered buying it at one time.

#7 - If you really like lots of planning and will miss having to do that.

#8 - If you want to spend all day doing school with your kids. HOD is intended to be efficient, combining skills, and therefore doesn't take as long as other programs might.

#9 - If you like shopping for supplies each week. While you can still do this for fun, most of HOD's necessary supplies are found around your house.

:D

I've never used it but I do have a reason that seems valid to me. I've seen the author/owner and her sister power trip one too many times on the HOD boards. In the end I couldn't buy a curriculum from someone who couldn't take criticism and seemed bent on shutting down anyone who didn't want to do the program exactly the way it was laid out. That was a real turn off to me. It's a shame too b/c I really liked a lot of it and had considered buying it at one time.

The HOD board CAN seem like a mini-cult, can't it? Even the mere mention of another program on that board sends many die-hards into a tizzy. :tongue_smilie: That being said, I do LOVE HOD and figured why ditch a great curriculum b/c of such silliness? Anyway, you wanted reasons NOT to use HOD! So...1) You will end up loving it and then not want to switch back to other programs, potentially missing out on the other awesome programs out there. :D 2) Gets expensive to run multiple guides...esp. w/ the older guides. 3) Can't combine ALL dc

I agree with this~ Sadly it is a turnoff.

I also agree with the combining issue. My kids are 19 months apart and I just can't seem to get them into one program ???

Guest RecumbentHeart
Really? Mine are 3 1/2 years apart and we are doing the same program. It's working well.

How old are they though and doing what guide? I could very easily understand that not working with a 5yo and an 8.5yo, for example. There is a huge potential range of difference in maturity and ability in the younger years. Also, the younger guides aren't even intended to cover that much of an age difference. It's only as you get further up that there are extensions.

Guest RecumbentHeart
What do you mean the younger guides aren't intended to cover that much of an age difference? All the guides are written for a 2 year age range, plus they have extensions to add another 2 years. That covers 4 years of an age span.

My kids and are doing Bigger. The age span on the guide says 7 - 9, with extensions for 10 and 11. My children when we started Bigger were 8 and 12. My son has dyslexia, so his reading is somewhat delayed. I knew he was past the range, but we hadn't covered American History yet, so he has been learning a lot. I am beefing up the science because that is his strong area. Writing is also not his strong suit, so this has been a gentle start to HOD guides. They are both loving HOD and learning a lot.

The guides below Bigger do not have extensions.

I can see how that arrangement would work well for you in your situation but it doesn't surprise me at all for someone with younger children, even closer together, to say they can't comfortably get them into one guide. It is so easy for the older one to be far ahead or the younger to be "taking a little more time". I could see those same children ending up together quite nicely in a guide once they're older but there are just so many variables early on.

I love Heart of Dakota and I have found the owners to be generous and extremely helpful especially when you call them. I would still be using it if it worked well for my son. My daughter adored it. I look with longing over the catalog.

Reasons not to use it though is what you are looking for so...

* You freak out the minute your boxes don't all match up (on one day for math and another for history).

* Your child is a very advanced reader but appears allergic to any type of writing.

* You supplement with time-intensive math and language arts. You'll find yourself falling behind very quickly in either core subjects or the HOD guide.

The guides below Bigger do not have extensions.

I can see how that arrangement would work well for you in your situation but it doesn't surprise me at all for someone with younger children, even closer together, to say they can't comfortably get them into one guide. It is so easy for the older one to be far ahead or the younger to be "taking a little more time". I could see those same children ending up together quite nicely in a guide once they're older but there are just so many variables early on.

:iagree: Placement has been my undoing....IMHO HOD is only HOD if you place well.....if I have to massively tweak or push/pull/hold back a kid in order to combine then HOD loses what I love about it and becomes Not-HOD.

ETA: I also think that asking an older to wait and use extensions so he/she can be combined with a younger doesn't work for some people (me) because of a particular desire for my child to have a full history cycle before high school. If I had one or two kids within the skill level of one guide we'd use HOD all the way through. The beauty of HOD lies in the Not Tweaking..... I don't want to tweak. I'd rather use it as written because I love what she's done. But if my kid doesn't fit the guide well then that "as written" strength becomes my downfall....

Edited by abrightmom

Guest RecumbentHeart
I love Heart of Dakota and I have found the owners to be generous and extremely helpful especially when you call them. I would still be using it if it worked well for my son. My daughter adored it. I look with longing over the catalog.

Reasons not to use it though is what you are looking for so...

* You freak out the minute your boxes don't all match up (on one day for math and another for history).

* Your child is a very advanced reader but appears allergic to any type of writing.

* You supplement with time-intensive math and language arts. You'll find yourself falling behind very quickly in either core subjects or the HOD guide.

This is really useful information for me. For one, I could see myself compromising quality in order to get the boxes completed. Two could be an issue and the last point is definitely going to be an issue - especially when looking at 3 guides and 4 individual math and LA lessons daily. :001_huh:

:iagree: Placement has been my undoing....IMHO HOD is only HOD if you place well.....if I have to massively tweak or push/pull/hold back a kid in order to combine then HOD loses what I love about it and becomes Not-HOD.

:iagree: Placement is KEY in HOD...which means that if you have kids who do not place in guides with their siblings, you are better off to do 2-3 guides at a time than try to combine. Placement is key...but once you get that placement down, HOD is so amazing. We have loved every second of it.

#10 (or whatever we are on): If you do not want to spend time with your younger children "doing school" and prefer for them to be independent from ages 5-8 or 9, then HOD may not be for you. HOD teaches independence gradually, starting with Preparing Hearts. By CTC, they are 90% independent...but some parents just don't want to/dont' have the time to/have too many other children to put in the time during the younger years (this is why a good friend of mine chose not to use HOD).

Guest RecumbentHeart
The beauty of HOD lies in the Not Tweaking..... I don't want to tweak. I'd rather use it as written because I love what she's done. But if my kid doesn't fit the guide well then that "as written" strength becomes my downfall....

This is a good point too ... gah!

I really, really like it. I do! And they will tell you it can work out well and time efficiently in almost any situation - I know they know more about the program than I do so I was very much inclined to step out in faith with it but then I got to thinking -- I know more about my life/home/family/focus/goals/alternatives/etc. and maybe I need to examine things a little more soberly.

This is a good point too ... gah!

I really, really like it. I do! And they will tell you it can work out well and time efficiently in almost any situation - I know they know more about the program than I do so I was very much inclined to step out in faith with it but then I got to thinking -- I know more about my life/home/family/focus/goals/alternatives/etc. and maybe I need to examine things a little more soberly.

Yes, yes, and yes again. EVERY family situation is entirely UNIQUE.... here is a very humiliating and embarrassing confession....

I was SO utterly enamored with HOD (Okay, I still am:lol:) that I ABANDONED other "things" that I believed in for my children's education.... Basically, I put all of my eggs into the HOD basket without having actually USED HOD. I ignored slight "naggings" and "tuggings" in my heart about some of these "things".... because golly dang it there is SO MUCH TO ADORE with HOD. It took me buying FOUR guides (used, mind you), tons of books, DITHOR, selling other beloved curriculum (Phonics Road) and getting to the cusp of beginning HOD to realize that in order for HOD to work for MY FAMILY situation and according to particular goals I have then I have to TWEAK HOD. I don't want to.....I'd rather do something else. Highly embarrassing and humiliating to admit....though freeing because now I've written it for all to read.:D

I WAS fearful and decided I needed to step out in faith and move forward with the plan....but my REAL fear was revealed over the weekend as I was preparing for HOD. I faced that what I want is to do MY PLAN MY WAY outside of a BOX (HOD or MFW) and I have been afraid to step out of the box. I am preparing to step out ... :001_smile:

Sorry....that's not really one of the reason not to buy HOD. I think it is wonderful...and a great fit for many families....:001_smile: Carrie is a brilliant planner and guide writer. I'm beyond impressed with her....she has a very kind and generous heart as well.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Yes, yes, and yes again. EVERY family situation is entirely UNIQUE.... here is a very humiliating and embarrassing confession....

I was SO utterly enamored with HOD (Okay, I still am:lol:) that I ABANDONED other "things" that I believed in for my children's education.... Basically, I put all of my eggs into the HOD basket without having actually USED HOD. I ignored slight "naggings" and "tuggings" in my heart about some of these "things".... because golly dang it there is SO MUCH TO ADORE with HOD. It took me buying FOUR guides (used, mind you), tons of books, DITHOR, selling other beloved curriculum (Phonics Road) and getting to the cusp of beginning HOD to realize that in order for HOD to work for MY FAMILY situation and according to particular goals I have then I have to TWEAK HOD. I don't want to.....I'd rather do something else. Highly embarrassing and humiliating to admit....though freeing because now I've written it for all to read.:D

I WAS fearful and decided I needed to step out in faith and move forward with the plan....but my REAL fear was revealed over the weekend as I was preparing for HOD. I faced that what I want is to do MY PLAN MY WAY outside of a BOX (HOD or MFW) and I have been afraid to step out of the box. I am preparing to step out ... :001_smile:

Sorry....that's not really one of the reason not to buy HOD. I think it is wonderful...and a great fit for many families....:001_smile: Carrie is a brilliant planner and guide writer. I'm beyond impressed with her....she has a very kind and generous heart as well.

I completely hear you. I was prepared to do the same (thankfully, I hadn't bought or sold anything yet though thanks to my current restraints). What I found interesting was that I started out with this idea that I wanted to step out in faith with HOD in order to have simplicity and not spend so much time on school. That morphed into being completely willing to risk losing simplicity and time and a lot of other things just to do HOD.

You know, as I was reading your post I remembered the recent thread you had started where you ended up deciding to just go with HOD. Now that you've made this decision, I'm still interested it hearing how it all works out for you. :D

Really? Mine are 3 1/2 years apart and we are doing the same program. It's working well.

I have had the same experience. My two oldest are 3 years apart and at that time my youngest was very motivated to do school and my oldest was lagging behind. Since then I have seen a shift but that is another story (maybe due to our HOD use, maybe not).

We did Beyond and Bigger together and my daughter skipped over Preparing. Now, let me be clear.....I do not suggest that everyone do this. This was where my kids were at the time. I do not regret it but I do not recommend it either. The HOD boards are for using HOD the way it is written. I respect Carrie enough to not go to the boards and tell others to use it any old way they please. She wants the boards to be left as a place to learn about how to use HOD as written. It is a different flavor than here but I think she is entitled to have it the way the way she wants since she is paying the bill.

I am a stubborn tweeker and have found that HOD *can* be tweeked as my daughter needs it. I can see how that makes extra work for me but I also see the benefits of HOD for my daughter so I do the work.

For the OP.......

Why I would not use it......if my child did not enjoy it.

My daughter does enjoy it, immensely. So we continue even though I hear and agree with some of what PP have stated. I have heard wonderful things about TOG and I do not think you will suffer if you decide to use it. It is fun and a little exciting to look over all the great resources out there.

All the best with your decision!!

I have so enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. Thank you, ladies, very much! I so much want to float away in the HOD balloon (and I still might :001_smile:) but reading the comments here makes me feel a little more grounded. Please keep them coming.

Please tell me more about this.

I already do my own plan, my own way and it works fine for me. I school 5 children. I keep them 100% separate due to attitude problems. I also find the one-on-one tutoring to be the most efficient and effective way for my family. We school from 8-5 four days per week with the 5th day for band/choir and math/reading.

But I look at HOD and see that interesting additions that I do NOT do but would like to. I'm looking at the sample for my 2nd grader. We already do many of those things. But I like the Key idea to kind of wrap everything up. History can be tough for little ones. That's a lot of words to listen to. I like the Key Idea being right out there. I like the inclusion of character traits. I do not do that. I like the Geography portion. I don't do that either. I'm looking at the sample for my 4th/6th grade. She has timeline and history project mapped out. I don't do that. She has art ideas to go along with the poems. We already do poetry but not art. Again, I LOVE the key ideas.

O.K. I'm looking at the samples again and I just really like the way she focuses your attention on particular ideas. I just don't think I'm good at that. I don't have a lot of time to keep up on everyone's readings and that is probably a big reason why I don't/can't do this even though my 7th/8th graders are reading the same history/Bible books and the 3rd/4th graders are reading the same Bible/history books. They are all reading different lit books. I'm obviously reading everything out loud to the 1st grade. I so desperately want to keep up on everyone's readings and every year I plan to do better. But frankly, I am tired of "school" once 5 o'clock hits and I want to do and NEED to do "mom" stuff. There just isn't any time.

Anyhooo...I've gone way off topic on my own thread. I'm very independent and very opinionated. I'm afraid of being locked into someone else's plan. But I also feel like on my own, I'm lacking something. It's not the plan. I've got that. It's not great books. I've got those too. I have 90-120 min. every day for every kid. Perhaps that's a lot of words to say I'm intrigued by the variety of activities to follow up with the readings and the key ideas. We just read and read and read and write the same old narration.every.time. It's nice. It's easy. It's getting old. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

....please continue with the list, or feel free to float away on a HOD tangent. I enjoy ALL of it. :001_smile:

Edited by silliness7

Katrina,

If this is the dumbest thing you've ever done then you don't even get a seat at the 'dumb things done in homeschooling' table. :-)

Heather

Guest RecumbentHeart
I'm very independent and very opinionated. I'm afraid of being locked into someone else's plan.

Ooo ... another good point. I want flexibility!

This is what was drawing me to TOG - the choice before me to do little or much. I can do what I like with science without feeling like I'm tweaking, adding to or skipping something (I love and hate those daily boxes).

Guest RecumbentHeart
Katrina,

If this is the dumbest thing you've ever done then you don't even get a seat at the 'dumb things done in homeschooling' table. :-)

Heather

:lol:

#10 (or whatever we are on): If you do not want to spend time with your younger children "doing school" and prefer for them to be independent from ages 5-8 or 9, then HOD may not be for you. HOD teaches independence gradually, starting with Preparing Hearts. By CTC, they are 90% independent...but some parents just don't want to/dont' have the time to/have too many other children to put in the time during the younger years (this is why a good friend of mine chose not to use HOD).

:iagree:

* If you dislike writing across the curriculum

* If you are not big on copywork, dictation, narration

* If you want traditional, fact-based science (as opposed to using living books for science)

* If you want memorization of lists

* If you want your chronological world history starting in 1st grade and repeating three times

* If you want secular

* If you want to combine large age ranges

* If you want something heavy on sciences and lighter on humanities

* If you want lots of open-ended discussion scheduled in (ETA: I think there is some of this in DITHOR and it looks like there might be some in the newest guide Rev2Rev)

Someone mentioned delayed grammar: I would have to disagree with this. Grammar is begun in the 1st/2nd grade program and then R&S is used at grade level from there on out until upper elementary (when they slow it down a little). This is one area where HoD actually differs from true Charlotte Mason.

Also I believe that HoD is tweakable. It may not appear so because it is so scripted and tightly scheduled and you don't hear about it much on the forum. Last year I only used about half of the Bigger Hearts manual and we still had a rich wonderful year. I agree it is hard to drop things because everything is so carefully and deliberately laid out. But even smaller bites of HoD are rich. I agree that curriculum should be our tool, not our master.

Edited by birchbark

Katrina,

Heather

Really?? Rats...I thought for sure I was inching up to the Dumbest Homeschool Mistake Ever award. I sold 3 levels of PR...and had GORGEOUS, METICULOUS notes for Level One.....

Now, in the spirit of this thread I will say that HOD is definitely worth fighting for....I do believe in that. But it isn't going to be right for everybody which is why there are So Many Choices! :001_smile:

I ignored slight "naggings" and "tuggings" in my heart about some of these "things".... because golly dang it there is SO MUCH TO ADORE with HOD. It took me buying FOUR guides (used, mind you), tons of books, DITHOR, selling other beloved curriculum (Phonics Road) and getting to the cusp of beginning HOD to realize that in order for HOD to work for MY FAMILY situation and according to particular goals I have then I have to TWEAK HOD. I don't want to.....I'd rather do something else. Highly embarrassing and humiliating to admit....though freeing because now I've written it for all to read.:D

Thank you for sharing your experience. I did a very similar thing when I tried out HOD. I've felt a bit foolish for it.

:iagree: I just came to this same realization very recently. ;) I have a sense of peace finally. Though I still read the threads and think that it would be nice for it to work for us since it is such a well prepared and lovely curriculum.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I did a very similar thing when I tried out HOD. I've felt a bit foolish for it.

:iagree: I just came to this same realization very recently. ;) I have a sense of peace finally. Though I still read the threads and think that it would be nice for it to work for us since it is such a well prepared and lovely curriculum.

Cyndy,

I'm soooo glad you're chiming in! If I remember correctly you decided to try MFW....what did you end up doing and where are you heading with your new realization?

I'm all over the map and toying with a lot of different ideas! It's thrilling!:001_smile:

This is so good to read even though I am doing HOD this upcoming year. Many of my hs friends told me to not be eclectic my 1st year so I chose this but I can see myself doing more picking and choosing as I get experience. I am excited to start this journey and I'm hoping HOD will be a good place to begin!

I do agree w/the board reason, though...they are kind of weird about their comments.

If I remember correctly you decided to try MFW....what did you end up doing and where are you heading with your new realization?

Katrina,

That's a good question. lol. I bought some of MFW used and tried to like it... wanted to like it... couldn't like it. :tongue_smilie:So I sold it.

So now I'm using a lot of charlottemasonhelp.com because I liked so much of Ambleside Online and they have a lot in common. I'm mixing it up a bit because I do want my kids to learn together on a lot. I'm adding in Truthquest along side because I like their commentary. That's really as far as I've gotten. But now I feel like I can pull what I like from where I like and get the best mix for us. I guess I don't like being told what to do. :lol:

Basically, I really love CM. It just resonates with me. And I really appreciate that I can find guidance online free. :001_smile:

I used Little Hearts and then purchased Beyond. We started and it brought my son to tears. It went on the shelf. 6 months later, I thought he was ready for it but as I started to prepare I realized that I also wanted to do MY PLAN MY WAY. This is what has driven me to plan more like the WTM yet in my own way. For example, science and history are done through loose unit studies. Currently, we are spending lots of time on Knights and Castles yet I have no intention of covering Arabs. We will cover this on the next go through the cycle but right now I don't think it will grab my kids attention. I love to plan, it is a freeing way to do school, for me. Do I worry I am missing something? Yes. Do I wish I would do more art, more poetry, more..? Yes. It would be nice for it to be all planned out for me, but at this point and time I am happy planning. I will do my best and pray that I don't leave huge gaps. I will have confidence they are getting a good education because I do ground myself with WTM.

HOD is a great program if you can place your kids. If your kids are developing mostly evenly in their skills. Mine are not - they would place skill wise in a level intended for kids 1-3 years older - this adds a maturity issue that is easier dealt with by me planning.

#4 If you don't fully buy into the Charlotte Mason LA concepts of shorter lessons and somewhat delayed grammar, HOD may be a problem. HOD uses R&S, but on a delayed schedule. It is also light in the early years in most areas, but particularly so in LA and science, which may be a problem for more classically oriented users.

#5 If you like the CM concept of reading and discussing great books, you may be disappointed in HOD. HOD uses wonderful books, but conversations are very scheduled and directed. CM advocates letting the books speak for themselves. HOD pushes DITHOR, which does early and very scheduled literary analysis. HOD is also very scripted, which is nice for Moms who need the help, but it can get in the way of people looking for a true CM book program.

JMO. I bought a level and just couldn't make it work for the combining issue and my reasons listed above. I think HOD works well IF you are their kind of Christian, IF you want something really scheduled and scripted and IF you can relax into the CM way of doing things in the early grades. I could have handled my #4, but the others pushed me over the edge. Which is a shame, because I loved the idea of it.

Thank you for this - it really helps to clarify a few misgivings (read 'gut-feelings') I had about the program. It looks great but I DON'T like scripted programs. I prefer a guideline that we can work along but which leaves plenty of wiggle room for tangents and delight learning etc.

Also, I'm looking to combine my younger three next year, and it seems from some of the above comments that it would be awkward to do so. Thus confiming my suspicions...... :)

Someone mentioned delayed grammar: I would have to disagree with this. Grammar is begun in the 1st/2nd grade program and then R&S is used at grade level from there on out until upper elementary (when they slow it down a little). This is one area where HoD actually differs from true Charlotte Mason..

Delayed depends on what you compare it to. But HOD starts R&S English 2 in what is essentially their 3rd grade guide, and then spreads the rest out so you are finishing R&S 6 in 8th grade. So while it isn't delayed as in most CM curriculums that start grammar in 6th grade, it IS delayed by classical standards, which would have you going through R&S 8 (or its equivalent) in 8th grade.

Whether it is really necessary to go all the way to R&S 8 is a personal choice.;)

Delayed depends on what you compare it to. But HOD starts R&S English 2 in what is essentially their 3rd grade guide, and then spreads the rest out so you are finishing R&S 6 in 8th grade. So while it isn't delayed as in most CM curriculums that start grammar in 6th grade, it IS delayed by classical standards, which would have you going through R&S 8 (or its equivalent) in 8th grade.

Whether it is really necessary to go all the way to R&S 8 is a personal choice.;)

We already are using R&S English at grade level. I was happy to see that HOD used it. In fact, that was one of the draws that caused me to look more intently at it as I am absolutely in LOVE with R&S English so we must be like-minded...HOD & myself. :001_smile: jk....kind of.

I saw that they go a bit slower but was thinking that I could still go at the pace I wanted since there was an option for your own grammar, but now I wonder if that would be feasible.

On the days that something other than R&S is scheduled, we'd have to a R&S lesson on top of HOD. Maybe that's not a big deal for 1 student. What about 4?

I have so enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. Thank you, ladies, very much! I so much want to float away in the HOD balloon (and I still might :001_smile:) but reading the comments here makes me feel a little more grounded. Please keep them coming.

Please tell me more about this.

I already do my own plan, my own way and it works fine for me. I school 5 children. I keep them 100% separate due to attitude problems. I also find the one-on-one tutoring to be the most efficient and effective way for my family. We school from 8-5 four days per week with the 5th day for band/choir and math/reading.

But I look at HOD and see that interesting additions that I do NOT do but would like to. I'm looking at the sample for my 2nd grader. We already do many of those things. But I like the Key idea to kind of wrap everything up. History can be tough for little ones. That's a lot of words to listen to. I like the Key Idea being right out there. I like the inclusion of character traits. I do not do that. I like the Geography portion. I don't do that either. I'm looking at the sample for my 4th/6th grade. She has timeline and history project mapped out. I don't do that. She has art ideas to go along with the poems. We already do poetry but not art. Again, I LOVE the key ideas.

O.K. I'm looking at the samples again and I just really like the way she focuses your attention on particular ideas. I just don't think I'm good at that. I don't have a lot of time to keep up on everyone's readings and that is probably a big reason why I don't/can't do this even though my 7th/8th graders are reading the same history/Bible books and the 3rd/4th graders are reading the same Bible/history books. They are all reading different lit books. I'm obviously reading everything out loud to the 1st grade. I so desperately want to keep up on everyone's readings and every year I plan to do better. But frankly, I am tired of "school" once 5 o'clock hits and I want to do and NEED to do "mom" stuff. There just isn't any time.

Anyhooo...I've gone way off topic on my own thread. I'm very independent and very opinionated. I'm afraid of being locked into someone else's plan. But I also feel like on my own, I'm lacking something. It's not the plan. I've got that. It's not great books. I've got those too. I have 90-120 min. every day for every kid. Perhaps that's a lot of words to say I'm intrigued by the variety of activities to follow up with the readings and the key ideas. We just read and read and read and write the same old narration.every.time. It's nice. It's easy. It's getting old. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

....please continue with the list, or feel free to float away on a HOD tangent. I enjoy ALL of it. :001_smile:

I think HOD would totally streamline your day! I think you'd get more things covered and in less time, and the repetitive nature of things you're dealing with now will float away :) The key ideas are fantastic to have, and how so many wonderful things are covered and so simply, well...it's just wonderful. I don't feel locked into her plan whatsoever...I feel gently guided and like I wrote the plan myself! It just uses such wonderful activities and books and every single thing you do has such purpose, instead of doing a craft for the sake of saying you do crafts...it actually goes with the lesson, works on a skill, and reinforces one of the readings! HOD is truly flexible and the boards are actually very helpful and nice. The board rules simply state not promoting other curricula on the HOD boards since it is a board intended to help moms use HOD in their homes successfully, not find ways to change HOD. The only thing I changed is math...I use Math Mammoth. And I could definitely combine my kids in pairs but I've chosen to keep them separate. I love our one on one time that isn't focused on the 3R's...who wants their only time with mom to be math and grammar?! And I love to see my daughter owning her education with the independence she is gaining. I love HOD. I could go on and on about it. Oh, one last thing and then I must stop before I write a novel...i LOVE that when we get to the table, we all have fantastic things to share about what we're learning in our separate history and science, and everyone is so interested b/c it's all so new and exciting (not what they've ALL be listening to mom read about all day already), and when a kid is telling dad about it, no one else is interrupting to tell them they forgot something or taking over the story!

Ok, a little more... my oldest gets review when the youngers talk about their programs b/c she remembers doing it! And then she can strike up a conversation and reinforce it all for them both. And the Bible is appropriate for each child, on their level, which I adore. I get more done with them separate with fewer interruptions as well...one older can be with the baby (toddler now I suppose since he's 17months old!). Also, an older can do some of the readings and activities for the youngers which my kids seem to really enjoy. My DD really loves being a teacher to her brothers, and it helps her learn patience and understanding in a very tangible way. When I tried other "multi-level" programs it was really just like HOD...targets a specific range and you beef up for olders, ....but you also just let the littles pick up what they can and add a couple extras for them. So you are really having to tweak. you could do that with HOD too, only they actually have you place with the younger and beef up for the older using independent assignments after ALL the other stuff is done together! My little wouldn't have to think school is always over his head if we did decide to combine! I didn't like that for them when we did combine using MFW.

Ok, there's that novel... sorry! LOL:auto:

Wow, I am not a HOD groupie by any means but I have never seen this. One of my daughters uses their curriculum and we use it how we want to. I spoke to Carrie Austen & her sister last year and this year at the Cincy convention and found them very kind and very "do what is best for your family". I don't think this is their attitude at all.

#3 If you are a non-evangelical or Reformed protestant Christian or someone looking for a secular program, HOD may not be for you. It is VERY difficult to secularize or even just remove the parts that are a problem without dismantling the whole program and starting over. We use this program, and we are reformed. How would you say that that HOD clashes with our belief system. I don't see it?

#4 If you don't fully buy into the Charlotte Mason LA concepts of shorter lessons and somewhat delayed grammar, HOD may be a problem. HOD uses R&S, but on a delayed schedule. It is also light in the early years in most areas, but particularly so in LA and science, which may be a problem for more classically oriented users. We just use the grammar on our schedule. Not really a problem for us. I don't want to come across as someone who is all defensive about HOD as we use TOG for our 3 other kids and LOVE it. But HOD is a wonderful option for one of our kids for the last 2 years and next year as well, so I thought I would throw in my .2

#5 If you like the CM concept of reading and discussing great books, you may be disappointed in HOD. HOD uses wonderful books, but conversations are very scheduled and directed. CM advocates letting the books speak for themselves. HOD pushes DITHOR, which does early and very scheduled literary analysis. HOD is also very scripted, which is nice for Moms who need the help, but it can get in the way of people looking for a true CM book program. I could see this. It hasn't been an issue for us however.

JMO. I bought a level and just couldn't make it work for the combining issue and my reasons listed above. I think HOD works well IF you are their kind of Christian, IF you want something really scheduled and scripted and IF you can relax into the CM way of doing things in the early grades. I could have handled my #4, but the others pushed me over the edge. Which is a shame, because I loved the idea of it. Yeah, we don't combine with this program either. I did try one using two levels one year and didn't like it. However, using it for my older daughter and then using TOG for my other 3 has been a great fit.

Guest RecumbentHeart

Michelle, I think she meant non-(evangelical or Reformed protestant). Just a guess for which she can correct me if I'm wrong. :) That confused me on the first read-through too.

Michelle, I think she meant non-(evangelical or Reformed protestant). Just a guess for which she can correct me if I'm wrong. :) That confused me on the first read-through too.

I am still confused because I am reformed protestant.

edited - Oh wait, do you mean if you are NOT these then you wouldn't like HOD? OK, then I get it! LOL

Guest RecumbentHeart
I am still confused because I am reformed protestant.

edited - Oh wait, do you mean if you are NOT these then you wouldn't like HOD? OK, then I get it! LOL

:lol: sorry. Perhaps trying to communicate mathematically wasn't the clearest approach in this context.

Don't want to be nitpicky, but I felt I should clarify this for the sake of those reading the thread since grammar is so important to many of us! :001_smile:

HoD begins grammar instruction in Beyond, which is their 1st/2nd grade program. The lessons do not come from R&S, but from the guide itself.

R&S 2 is begun in Bigger Hearts, the 2nd/3rd grade program. Following their schedule, you would then slow to half-speed when you get to 4th/5th grade so that you finish level 6 in 8th grade (as stated above). The reason they do this is because levels 7 and 8 are considered high school level. I don't believe they are trying to make the grammar gentle or below grade level, if that makes sense.

HoD is designed for you to use whichever grammar you wish at whatever schedule you like, but I don't think the program could be classified as one that delays grammar in a CM or Beechick style. I feel it is much closer to classical in this one respect.

Guest RecumbentHeart

You know what ... I just ran into the LHFHG sample I printed out and I'm tempted to spend my own money (since I overspent the curriculum budget back in February) to get LHFHG to try out with my daughter this coming year.

Gah! Even this thread hasn't stopped my madness! :willy_nilly:

Don't want to be nitpicky, but I felt I should clarify this for the sake of those reading the thread since grammar is so important to many of us! :001_smile:

HoD begins grammar instruction in Beyond, which is their 1st/2nd grade program. The lessons do not come from R&S, but from the guide itself.

R&S 2 is begun in Bigger Hearts, the 2nd/3rd grade program. Following their schedule, you would then slow to half-speed when you get to 4th/5th grade so that you finish level 6 in 8th grade (as stated above). The reason they do this is because levels 7 and 8 are considered high school level. I don't believe they are trying to make the grammar gentle or below grade level, if that makes sense.

HoD is designed for you to use whichever grammar you wish at whatever schedule you like, but I don't think the program could be classified as one that delays grammar in a CM or Beechick style. I feel it is much closer to classical in this one respect.

I wanted to add that the reason for the slowing of the grammar is to give more time to writing. It is actually a balanced approach that doesn't overwhelm the student or the teaching parent.... I know of many Moms on this forum who have found it necessary to slow grammar down or even skip a year in order to focus on writing.

HOD is flexible in that area and you can do whatever you want to :001_smile: and there is even flex with when/where you slow down the grammar. I really like it....