Menu

How can you find out about the integrity of 'sponsor a child' programs?

Ds16 wants to sponsor a child. He went to ATF (Christian event) this weekend, and brought home a packet with a child's information in it, and he really wants to do this on his own (he has a job).

The program is "Compassion". I know I have seen programs rated in the past on how the money is spent but I can't find it tonight.

We have sponsored a child throught Compassion for about 10 years now. Compassion is quite reputable. I'm not sure where to look for the breakdown of how money is spent but I bet the website has that info. World Vision is another child sponsorship company that is reputable. I know there are others.

You can look them up at places like Charity Navigator. Compassion spends about 17% on admin and fund raising.

Compassion did something a couple years ago that I thought was neat. They took a group of bloggers to Africa to see their work there and blog about their experience. I read the blogs of many/most of the bloggers during their stay; it was quite interesting and moving. Each blogger gave such a different view of what they were seeing. They also got a lot of children sponsored, and the bloggers really seemed moved by the experience to work hard at getting more kids sponsored and change their lives after they got home.

We've sponsored a child through World Vision for 7 years. World Vision spends 11.5% on admin and fund raising.

Compassion International is reliable. My husband and daughter travelled with them to El Salvador a few years ago and visited some of the places where they do work. My husband was impressed with the work they do (and he is familiar with lots of non-profit helping organizations). We sponsor a child through Compassion and have been very happy with the organization. My husband also brings packets of children needing sponsorship when he speaks to groups of people.

Compassion International? By chance, did he go to The Thorn at New Life Church? They had quite a commercial for the child sponsorships this year. They were handing out packets to people in the audience. I know a couple of people that work for Compassion. It's a good organization.

Compassion International? By chance, did he go to The Thorn at New Life Church? They had quite a commercial for the child sponsorships this year. They were handing out packets to people in the audience. I know a couple of people that work for Compassion. It's a good organization.

Not The Thorn, it was ATF, Acquire the Fire (TeenMania) in Portland Oregon.

You can look them up at places like Charity Navigator.

Excellent resource for checking out charities.

Compassion International? By chance, did he go to The Thorn at New Life Church?

We saw The Thorn four years ago! It was one of those "must do" things before we moved from CSpgs. It was wonderful, wonderfully done, beautiful.

We had a hs field trip at Compassion. If you've never done this (VeteranMom), it might be worth checking out. We had a group of about 15.

Sigh. I love where I am now, but I loved Colorado Springs too.