Menu

Do you look forward to your day?

Most mornings I wake up and groan that I don't want to do today! I can't face the whining, the mess, the tidying, the mess again, the frustrations etc. Once I'm up and going the day passes quite happily usually, but I'll still groan the next morning!

Am I alone in this??

Yes, I usually look forward to my day.

I work each weekday and look forward to going to work (yes, I actually enjoy my job). Then I look forward to coming home and spending time with my kids.

And I always look forward to weekends :-)

Just the 6:30 am alarm some days has me not too happy for about two minutes.

It takes me a while to get up, but I can't wait to tackle the day and see what it brings us. I'm a night owl, and both my daughter and I love to stay up late in the night, writing or reading.

If things were not so and I dreaded starting a new day, I would probably shake things up by taking a vacation or finding a new hobby.

Not especially, at least not lately.

I've been running very, very tired, and there is always more to do than I have energy to do well. So, I wake up each morning tired and dreading knowing I'll get to the end of the day even more tired and with an unfinished list.

A lot of days, what gets me out of bed and moving is knowing there's an adorable dog who can't wait to greet me and go for a walk. She's so incredibly happy to see me and get going that a little of it rubs off on me.

Cold winter days are really difficult for me. I tend to want to crawl under the covers and cry. ;) Dh tempting me with fresh-brewed helps, for sure.

Sunny days give me energy. I can face the crankiest kid on such days. lol

Cranky children and 4 months of winter make me wish I was a Moomin mom. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

It takes me a while to get up, but I can't wait to tackle the day and see what it brings us. I'm a night owl, and both my daughter and I love to stay up late in the night, writing or reading.

If things were not so and I dreaded starting a new day, I would probably shake things up by taking a vacation or finding a new hobby.

:iagree:DD and I are both naturally night-time people. We like staying up late and have a hard time getting up in the morning. Unfortunately, our current schedule is such that I have to be up by 7 and her by 8/830... :tongue_smilie:

But... even with getting up so early, I love facing each day. Between my daughter and my classes, I have some pretty great stuff in my life to look forward too. I spend my days learning and teaching. :D

We're remodeling (1/2 the house gutted including the kitchen, and we do all the work), I'm tired of the school year...

However, even as I am painting and I begin to grumble - I try to remember that in about 30 years or so I will be looking back on this and will be angry with myself if I didn't enjoy every healthy minute of it. I am able to paint. I am able to drive my car. I can read books without glasses, and watch tv, and walk my dog, and go to the gym.... I've watched many relatives go through the slow decline of old age, and lately I have become acutely aware of my limited life. So - yes - I look forward to my day. I haven't always felt this way, and even now wonder what I was so grumpy about 10 years ago :)

Upon waking I look forward to little more than my coffee. Only after my last sip am I willing to begin so much as contemplating the larger day.

No, I am not a morning person.

I wake up happy. Then the reality of my life starts sinking in and misery soon follows. I dread getting out of bed most days right now. (I am not clinically depressed, I am just frustrated at some things going on in my life right now).

I do. And I agree that it is a matter of perspective. I really do want to make the most of each day - that's why I have the verse in my siggy line. I strive to see each moment as part of the "cup" God has for my day; and the fact that it is ordained by him, well, He surely will give me the grace and strength for it. One of my favorite quotes from Oswald Chambers is "Drudgery is one of the finest touchstones of character there is...It requires the inspiration of God to go through drudgery with the light of God upon it." Not that my life is all drudgery, but the daily mundane, do it for the thousandth time thing is ever present.

I haven't slept for four hours in a row in 9 months. Three hours is the average. I've hit a point of sleep deprivation where I seem to have lost my mind. I can't keep thoughts in my head.

So right now, I do more than groaning when I need to wake up.

I'd like to be bright and cheery like Great Day For Up, though.

These days I'm not happy when it's time to make the donuts. I'm so exhausted (teething baby with frequent wakings) that I literally have a difficult time opening my eyes. When the kids start bikering (just normal stuff that is usually no biggie & I'm able to difuse in seconds) I'm usually not coherent enough at that point to react calmly so the day starts off badly. It makes the rest of the day that much harder.

Most mornings I wake up and groan that I don't want to do today! I can't face the whining, the mess, the tidying, the mess again, the frustrations etc. Once I'm up and going the day passes quite happily usually, but I'll still groan the next morning!

Am I alone in this??

Me Too

I haven't slept for four hours in a row in 9 months. Three hours is the average. I've hit a point of sleep deprivation where I seem to have lost my mind. I can't keep thoughts in my head.

So right now, I do more than groaning when I need to wake up.

I'd like to be bright and cheery like Great Day For Up, though.

This. I've been in exhausted autopilot mode for about 2 years and 6 months now. (DD just REFUSES to sleep. And if she's awake and I'm not, she's wreaking havoc all over the house. DH has to get enough sleep to be able to climb onto & stay on roofs all day long, so he's generally out for night duty.) I think if I could take a week or so and just decompress, I would feel so much better about every day & all of the things we're juggling right now. Unfortunately, I just... can't. Our family really might fall apart if I demanded a break now, so I'll just suck it up & keep trudging.

Yeah, I think it is just the lack of sleep that comes of having small kids.

Mine are 4 and 2 and it is only in the last few months that I am not guaranteed to feel useless each and every day. I still feel that way most days, but at least it isn't all of them. I've kicked the SAD stuff too. Feeling like a sleep deprived zombie feels less awful than a SAD sleep deprived zombie.

Rosie- counting her blessings :lol:

I do. And I agree that it is a matter of perspective. I really do want to make the most of each day - that's why I have the verse in my siggy line. I strive to see each moment as part of the "cup" God has for my day; and the fact that it is ordained by him, well, He surely will give me the grace and strength for it. One of my favorite quotes from Oswald Chambers is "Drudgery is one of the finest touchstones of character there is...It requires the inspiration of God to go through drudgery with the light of God upon it." Not that my life is all drudgery, but the daily mundane, do it for the thousandth time thing is ever present.

This is very inspiring. I will have to remember this, thanks for sharing. :001_smile:

I honestly do not look forward to my days, however I do NOT dread them either. The days just seem soooooooooo long and endless and with all of the mundane, repetitive activities there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to. I love being with my kiddos but I just don't get up excited to start the day.

It also doesn't help that one of my most dreaded activities happens first thing in the morning- changing all of the wet/dirty diapers and soaked sheets. :tongue_smilie:

most days, no. i can't think of days that i do look forward to, but i'm sure they have happened. i wish i did and i know my attitude is a big part of things...i just can't seem to muster when i'm half asleep and only want to see my pillow.

my dad used to say, "rise and shine, and greet the new day". i would greet it, but usually with a dull glow and a grunt.

on that note, i'm off to bed...tomorrow is exhausting just thinking about it.

I wake up slow, but I'm usually happy to start each new day. It beats the alternative. :tongue_smilie: I'm alive and the kids are all right. Pour me some coffee and let's do this thing.

:iagree:

This is me. I groan at my alarm, but once I get moving and have a capacity to feel, I look forward to my day. There are really only two choices, wake or not. I'll be grateful for everyday I can wake up to.

I pop out of bed ready to go, hit the gym.... and then.... sigh..... it's back to reality. I try to have fun all day long and enjoy the moments but I think I am in over my head right now with all of my obligations so I tend to get frustrated and overwhelmed as the weight of it all comes down on me.

If I organized the night before ( school is assigned and laid out ) then I wake up ready and excited for our day. These days I do get to sleep fairly well and I know that helps with my day. I also love the days when I don't have to wake anyone up, everyone is much happier when they get to wake up on their own schedule.

I am utterly convinced my morning attitude is directly related to how many uninterrupted hours of sleep I had the night before. Right now I am dreading my day, and I am avoiding my army of littles. This past week I woke up crying most days. :glare:

Before this last baby was born, I had a few months with everyone over 2yo and out of diapers. It was heavenly. Pure bliss.

We are planning on spending the coming weekend out-of-town. That makes me even crabbier. There is NO way my baby is going to sleep for any length of time while we are gone. I don't know when I am going to catch up on sleep. I'm seriously considering asking dh if the baby & I can stay home from the Easter holidays. I need sleep.

I pretty much haven't slept for more than 5 hrs straight (and it's usually only 3-4 hrs) for 9 yrs now. Sometimes, especially when I don't get to bed early enough, it starts to catch up with me in a big way and I'm fairly miserable. But if I make it a priority, even broken sleep makes a positive impact. So yeah, I think sleep is a huge factor!

The other really important thing for me is attitude. I find that if I make counting my blessings the last thing I do each day and the first thing I focus on each morning, then my life seems so much more rewarding and joyful. I actually love knowing that the path to a better life is an inside job, and therefore well within my reach at all times. Not that I always get there... but at least I know I always can if I choose it.

I know exactly how you feel. I really want to look forward to the day, but it seems impossible right now. I'm trying to work on just having a positive attitude, I do have good intentions, but it is hard.

I think I really need some time for myself and to be able to participate in some hobbies and things that I used to do, but it just isn't possible right now. I'm hoping that eventually I can get back to that, because when I have a little time for me, it really helps my perspective.

:grouphug: Hang in there!

Am I alone in this??

You are NOT alone! I am not a morning person anyway, and the idea of breaking up fights, the extreme behaviors of my kids, and my general tiredness all contribute to my bad attitude. Don't know about you, but I need a vacation....from school, the kids and my other obligations. Our family refuses to take our ds over night due to his wildness...even at 10. :sad:

I feel trapped....and not just in the morning. Sorry to take this topic to the extreme. Just needed to vent.

Yes, when I dont have a headache its a beautiful thing.

Just a thought. I had been having headaches for a while each morning it seems... I tried a new one. A decent sized pinch of sea salt (try the brand "real salt") and a glass of water. I tried it... and it has worked each time, except for once. This has been over 2 months. I actually took it preventively at night and then with my headache in the mornings... for about 3 or 4 days. Every once in a while I wake up with a bit of a headache, and grab for salt and water. I have also been drinking kangen (purified) water, but I think it would work either way. LMK how it goes, if you try it :)

Mornings are much easier without headaches...

Guest mrsajoy

It depends on how early the kids wake up. My 4 yo is an EARLY riser. And when I say early, I mean 4.30, 5. And not only is she an early riser, she is a HAPPY morning person. She wakes up at that time, and is happy, chatty, laughing, ready for the day. I am SOOO not a morning person. I'm a 'don't talk to me until I've peed, eaten, and brushed my teeth' type of person:) So most mornings, no, I do not look forward to the day. I guess it's more appropriate to say I don't look forward to mornings:) Once I'm up and going, everything is good:)

Guest mrsajoy
I do now that my children are older,....but when they were little....not so much.

Just so much neediness before I was really awake,

Now they are old enough to give mom space till she wakes up, and that seriously helps...

I sooooo can not wait till that time:)