Menu

For those of you who are familiar with the two Life of Fred Pre-Algebra books ...

For those of you who are familiar with the two Life of Fred Pre-Algebra books ...

I see on the Life of Fred site this statement:

"Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology and Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics are intended to be read sequentially."

Do you feel that LOF Pre-Algebra 1 is a prerequisite for LOF Pre-Algebra 2? Would you consider the second book to be a complete (free standing) pre-Algebra program? or do both books need to be completed? Or are these foolish questions considering that students have gone from LOF Fractions and LOF Decimals and Percents directly to LOF Beginning Algebra?

Regards,

Kareni

I don't have the pre-algebra 2 book, it was not published when I needed it. You could do both books in a year, that's a plus. We did work through another part of a pre-algebra book that year.

My ds is doing LOF Beginning algebra now. I think the leap from fractions/decimals & percents to algebra would be too great for most kids. I'm glad we spent a year on pre-algebra.

Perfect timing for this thread! My ds just finished Singapore 6B. I was planning on Lial's BCM (which I already have), but it seems way too easy until the last couple of chapters. I looked at LoF today and noticed the biology/economics books and am very interested. I don't think he's ready for the entire LoF algebra book.

:bigear:

My opinion...

Yes, you need to do both pre-algebra books. Why? Well, because they focus on 2 different aspects of Algebra. #1 is getting your feet wet about equations. #2 focuses on word problems... figuring out how to get the problem into an equation. You can do both in less than a year.

I think that the issue you might be having, is that you are able to go from the first to books (fract. & dec. & perc.) to Beginning Algebra. It is more than possible to do that. If you started your kids in the early books when your kids were a bit on the young side, and they just aren't ready for BA yet (as mine definitely weren't) this is a fun, gentle way to bridge the gap. But if your kid is older, I am sure you could skip hem, but why? They're great.

I don't think you can go wrong with having a solid foundation for Algebra. Also, my kids love Fred, so I had to do them! :D

I found the 2 Pre-Algebra books to be more than worth their weight and effort. Why? Well, I hated, and was horrible at, Algebra. As I was doing this with the kids, I now understand it and have had fun re-learning it.

I am in BA, and I know for a fact my kids could not have gone from the first 2 books into it. They are just too young for that.

"Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology and Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics are intended to be read sequentially."

Do you feel that LOF Pre-Algebra 1 is a prerequisite for LOF Pre-Algebra 2? Would you consider the second book to be a complete (free standing) pre-Algebra program? or do both books need to be completed? Or are these foolish questions considering that students have gone from LOF Fractions and LOF Decimals and Percents directly to LOF Beginning Algebra?

Regards,

Kareni

I have a related question and I hope you don't mind my tagging it onto your thread. It's something I've been wondering about and you just reminded me with your comment above:

Since students have gone from LOF Fractions & Decimals into Beginning Algebra, does that mean we could do either Fractions & Decimals OR the 2 Pre-Algebra books as a Pre-Algebra course?

I'm asking because I already have LOF Fractions & Decimals. As attractive (and affordable) as the new books are, can they be skipped? Or should I maybe skip Fractions & Decimals in favor of the new books?

I have a related question and I hope you don't mind my tagging it onto your thread. It's something I've been wondering about and you just reminded me with your comment above:

Since students have gone from LOF Fractions & Decimals into Beginning Algebra, does that mean we could do either Fractions & Decimals OR the 2 Pre-Algebra books as a Pre-Algebra course?

I'm asking because I already have LOF Fractions & Decimals. As attractive (and affordable) as the new books are, can they be skipped? Or should I maybe skip Fractions & Decimals in favor of the new books?

Unless you have covered fractions and decimals in another program, you should definitely do LOF Fractions and Decimals. IMO, they are more important than the next two books. My dd went through both of them. She did parts of Pre-Algebra Biology, but was bored with that so she went right into LOF Algebra without any problem. I am having her do Pre-Algebra Economics over the summer though because it just looks so good.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

It is a sequence, not an either/or option. Your child won't be taught fractions, decimals or percents in Pre-Algebra, and they won't be taught equations or how to make word problems into equations in Fractions or Decimals & Percents. IMHO, the Pre-Algebra books (especially Pre-Algebra 2) are too good to skip.

It is a sequence, not an either/or option. Your child won't be taught fractions, decimals or percents in Pre-Algebra, and they won't be taught equations or how to make word problems into equations in Fractions or Decimals & Percents. IMHO, the Pre-Algebra books (especially Pre-Algebra 2) are too good to skip.

It's a new sequence. He went back and added those books later (I bought all of ours over 2 years ago, and there were no Pre-Algebra books then.) The author at the time stated that those two books together were Pre-Algebra.

I was planning to use it after 5th & 6th grade math. Math Mammoth at all three those levels (As well as 4B) does teach fractions, decimals and percents. I'm wondering if adding the LOF books might be belt & suspenders.

I'll probably try her on the bridge tests starting as early as this summer and add the first two books to our line-up. I'm pretty sure she's already read them.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Regards,

Kareni

The reason the author wrote the Pre-Algebra books after the rest were written is because there were many who had trouble going from Fractions and Decimals & Percents to Beginning Algebra. Just because it has been done doesn't mean that it's been without struggles or that it's the best sequence, KWIM? The Pre-Algebra books are very worthwhile and IMHO shouldn't be skipped. If the student is advanced enough that they could realistically go into Beginning Algebra they could complete both Pre-Algebra books in a semester or less, or over the summer if you have a traditional school year. They wouldn't "loose" any significant time and Beginning Algebra would be easier.

Life if Fred is an extra supplement isn't it? Or a stand alone Math program??

It depends. :) Some people (like me) use it as a supplement. Others use it as their only programme. I think using it as a stand alone curriculum would work well if you have a child who understands concepts easily and doesn't need much review. My kids tend to need a bit more practice than Fred provides. A mix of Singapore an LoF is working well for us.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
It's a new sequence. He went back and added those books later (I bought all of ours over 2 years ago, and there were no Pre-Algebra books then.) The author at the time stated that those two books together were Pre-Algebra.

I was planning to use it after 5th & 6th grade math. Math Mammoth at all three those levels (As well as 4B) does teach fractions, decimals and percents. I'm wondering if adding the LOF books might be belt & suspenders.

I'll probably try her on the bridge tests starting as early as this summer and add the first two books to our line-up. I'm pretty sure she's already read them.

I am aware of that. The reason the author went back and added the Pre-Algebra books is because many students had difficulties going from Fractions and Decimals & Percents into Beginning Algebra, especially with word problems. He changed the sequence based on feedback from those using his text books.

I also said that it's not an either/or option because the books don't teach the same content. It is a sequence and the Pre-Algebra books don't take the place of the Fractions and Decimals & Percents, and visa versa.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Life if Fred is an extra supplement isn't it? Or a stand alone Math program??

Most seem to use it to supplement but it can be used as a stand alone program from (I believe) the Pre-Algebra books onward. Fractions and Decimals & Percents were meant to be supplemental.

Dd used Introductory Algebra as a stand alone and had to re-take algebra this year. I think it could be enough by itself; for her, it wasn't. After reading these threads, I ordered the pre-algebra/biology for ds, and I'm planning it for a stand alone.

Dd went from Sing 6B to LoF Algebra. I think it would have benefitted her to cover the pre-algebra books before moving into algebra.

I am aware of that. The reason the author went back and added the Pre-Algebra books is because many students had difficulties going from Fractions and Decimals & Percents into Beginning Algebra, especially with word problems. He changed the sequence based on feedback from those using his text books.

I also said that it's not an either/or option because the books don't teach the same content. It is a sequence and the Pre-Algebra books don't take the place of the Fractions and Decimals & Percents, and visa versa.

I'm not surprised kids had trouble going from Fractions Decimals & Percents to Algebra. If I had taken him at his word that they just needed to know times tables & long division, I could have started my dd in these at about age 9. No way would she have been ready for them, and especially not the Algebra book right after. Not enough pencil to the paper work (IMO) for most kids that age.

I get that the content is different. Now I guess I need to get my hands on the new books. My kids will want to read them anyway.

Unless you have covered fractions and decimals in another program, you should definitely do LOF Fractions and Decimals. IMO, they are more important than the next two books. My dd went through both of them. She did parts of Pre-Algebra Biology, but was bored with that so she went right into LOF Algebra without any problem. I am having her do Pre-Algebra Economics over the summer though because it just looks so good.

MM levels 5 & 6 work pretty extensively with fractions, decimals and percents (concepts I use frequently in real life as well--and make it a point to show my kids when I do). I also see expressions, equations (just sort of a taste), exponents and variables.

I'll probably at least have her run through the bridge tests though. Better over prepared than under.

I just asked dd13 her opinion. She has done all the LOF books, and is almost finished with Pre-Algebra w/ Economics. She loves them all, but does agree that book 2 has been more difficult than book 1. I love the added benefit of the biology and economics she has learned in addition to the math. It's been wonderful for her, and she is really thinking mathematically because she wrestles through each lesson on her own.

I just asked dd13 her opinion. She has done all the LOF books, and is almost finished with Pre-Algebra w/ Economics. She loves them all, but does agree that book 2 has been more difficult than book 1. I love the added benefit of the biology and economics she has learned in addition to the math. It's been wonderful for her, and she is really thinking mathematically because she wrestles through each lesson on her own.

Would you agree with the author's assertion that Pre-Algebra book 1 can be counted as a 7th grade science and book 2 as high school econ?

Now that I've read the page the OP linked to, I really need to see these books...

Would you agree with the author's assertion that Pre-Algebra book 1 can be counted as a 7th grade science and book 2 as high school econ?

Now that I've read the page the OP linked to, I really need to see these books...

Maybe I am going out on a limb here... but I think that is a bit of a stretch, in reality, but on paper... maybe.

As far as the Biology, there is a lot of different info in there that is probably only covered in upper level Biology, so as it is mentioned and explored, but w/o labs and other work..... ?In the economics, I think he does a really good job with an overview of economics, that I doubt most kids would get in any class until a HS elective.

Is it a "high school credit" like a Carnegie unit? Hmmm.... :confused:

I think that the reason he can state this sort of thing, is that he mentions, and explains aspects of those subjects that don't come up until HS classes. There is a lot of content, and it is interwoven with the math, so it is hard to say how much there really is, IMHO. I am sure he "did the math " in them though, to see how that shook out. It is probably very similar to his claim that each of his books have XXXyear of XXX HS/college class. It doesn't seem like they do, but they do.

I personally think you need to do more, but then again, I would think that about the content of a public school high school class. :D

I am not awake yet...

Since biology is just a small part of our 7th grade general science, I think I could truthfully say that it is comparable in coverage to a traditional gen. science book. We plan to do a traditional biology in a couple of years, but all the concepts that she has learned have been more of the *tidbits* of knowledge that most biology programs may not even mention. The kind of, "Wow, did you know THAT...?" kind of thing. I think they are designed to spark interest, but not for mastery of that subject. By the time she gets to economics in her 12th grade, it will be interesting to see how much detail she remembers from this math book. I think the strong introduction will be quite helpful to her and maybe she won't even need much more besides this. Maybe I'll just have her read Whatever Happened to Penny Candy and be done with it! She already knows more about economics than I do. But don't tell her that! ;)

Edited by Blueridge