Menu

Waldorf inspired folks

Just Robyn

What are your favorite books?

I've been using OM K with my youngest this year and loving it. For next school year I'm planning to use OM 1 and 5 and I'm considering adding in parts of ALGF as well. I also just bought my first insanely expensive set of math gnomes because I'm sorry, but I just don't want to make them, and I'm really just feeling waldorfy right now.

SO, what should I read?

I recently spoke with the director of a Waldorf-inspired school (If you read my Waldorf post a while ago, I am referring to a different person/school.). She highly recommended Your Child’s Growing Mind (link: http://www.amazon.com/Your-Childs-Growing-Mind-Development/dp/0767916158/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302976863&sr=8-1 ). My copy just arrived, so I can’t give it a thumbs up or down, but I thought you might be interested.

Donna

Thanks for the suggestions! Some of those have been at the back of my mind for a year or two. I think Simplicity Parenting and some ALGF audio downloads and videos are my first plan of action.

Nance - Yes, OM K was awesome. I'm going to keep it on the shelf for at least another year as a reference. When I do finally let go of it I plan to find it a good home rather than sell it (not that selling it means it's going to an abusive home, just that I want to know where it is so I can visit it and get updates about it). It's always good to hear good reports about OM because I hope to use it for several years.

It's always good to hear good reports about OM because I hope to use it for several years.

Me, too! I bought an older, used version of OMK-8 all from one person and I'm so glad I did!

I didn't pull my daughter out of public school til the end of March of her third grade year. So with only like two months left in that school year, we didn't use a curriculum, just did our own eclectic thing.

I feel really lucky I "found" Oak Meadow right away with none of the expensive curriculum hopping so many other homeschoolers do lol. I bought K-8 from that lady, used OM4 with my daughter the following fall for our first full year of homeschooling, and used OM5 with her this year. I loved it, both years, and will continue on with her at LEAST through 8th grade with OM.

My son will start K in the fall (again- we did do a few weeks of it this past fall but he wasn't really focused/interested enough/ready, so I stopped and plan to try again this fall) and will go through all of the grades with him.

I may very well do OM for high school, too! I really do love it! :D

I recently spoke with the director of a Waldorf-inspired school (If you read my Waldorf post a while ago, I am referring to a different person/school.). She highly recommended Your Child’s Growing Mind (link: http://www.amazon.com/Your-Childs-Growing-Mind-Development/dp/0767916158/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302976863&sr=8-1 ). My copy just arrived, so I can’t give it a thumbs up or down, but I thought you might be interested.

Love, love, love this book.

I have been listening, listening, listening to the ALGF audio files and LOVING it! That post about Waldorf schools strongly discouraging books (even as read alouds) has stayed with me, but Melisa seems to not be so militant.

I've just been enjoying it so much I had to report. :)