Menu

Geneticlly modified corn, potatoes, and soy, is bad enough, but sugar is WAY bad!h

Oops! Sorry for the typos in the subject line! :o(

(Not that other things aren't bio-engineered)

Sugar is in everything! This is bad, bad, bad. Personally, we don't eat much sugar, and what we do consume is organic, but for the general population, I am concerned.

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/oca/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=12700

I have been reading the Organic Bytes newletter for a while now, which is where I got this info from. I don't know whether anyone has an opinion on this group or not, but I would like to hear it if you know about them.

~Lisa

My biggest gripe with GM food is that it is designed to make you buy seed from them again next year. It's a sterile hybrid. It gets blown around and ruins crops in neighboring states. And then they have the nerve to sample farmers' fields and sue farmers whose crops have "their" DNA in them! They should be paying damages!!!

My biggest gripe with GM food is that it is designed to make you buy seed from them again next year. It's a sterile hybrid. It gets blown around and ruins crops in neighboring states. And then they have the nerve to sample farmers' fields and sue farmers whose crops have "their" DNA in them! They should be paying damages!!!

:iagree:

The "sterile" is the part that really scares me too because what happens if something goes wrong with the companies producing it or the transportation?

Food should not have a highly legalized patent attached to it.

Hmmm... so this is designed to withstand Roundup, but what I'd like to know is, are humans who later eat it? Does the Roundup resisted within the plant, even though it's absorbed, or is it completely unable to penetrate any of it? Does it all go away by the time we eat it or is there still a nice dose of the stuff lingering around? Anyone know how this works?

Too many questions. When you deal with conventional foods you have to use a lot of restraint with such chemicals naturally, even those that are not organic. GMOs create a whole new issue.

We use limited processed food ourselves but it does get hard to avoid.

I agree. If anyone should be getting sued, it should be the companies making the hybrids that are contaminating the unadulterated crops. Unless you grow your crops in a bubble, the contamination will happen. How long until we don't have any natural, non-GM, seeds left? Seriously, I don't know the answer to that question, but it's a scary thought!

Beside all the ethics mentioned here, the fact that Roundup ready products are produced by splicing in viruses and bacteria into the DNA of the crop to be produced is rather disturbing. The more we tamper with the food, the more we lose. Think about Dolly- she died of all sorts of horrible things very early as opposed to her predecessor.

Furthermore, what are we doing to our soil by so heavily inoculating it with such heavy chemicals? How about our water supply? These things run off and contaminate our water supply (have you heard about the prescription drugs in the water in NY!?). The rampant use of Roundup is creating superweeds which can't be killed. Weeds grow in certain soil types- most of them in poor soil. Weeds will help an astute farmer to analyze what is good or bad about his soil and how to properly amend it. It is a fact that foods conventionally grown are not as nutritionally dense as those organically grown- largely in part to the fact that the soil is so depleted. All of this roundup ready stuff is further stripping the precious topsoil of minerals.

Also, GM won't feed the world- it is too expensive.