Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

1 hour ago, daijobu said:

That might work as haiku!  😉

It was just so random. Here we are driving home from ballet rehearsal and she’s eating a snack while looking out the window, and out it came. And then more silence while I tried to think of an appropriate response. Lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Another homeschool family, the "Smiths" were over one day this week and we pulled out a Magic School Bus kit we'd been given to do together. The Smith children are the same ages as mine, but not accelerated. I was going over the activities, asking for guesses about what might happen, etc, giving some questions to the little ones and some to the bigger. At one point there was a silence after I asked a medium-difficulty question, and finally my six year old said "I know the answer, but this seems like a question for the Smiths. Do you know, Suzy?" Alas, Suzy didn't know. I need to explain to my daughter that she was right, but you don't say things like that in front of other people. Not sure how to do that without accidentally encouraging her to be even more patronizing, so I'm just stewing in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We had one of those moments this weekend.   We were doing the History Walking Tour in San Antonio.  Tour guide pointed out some little statues for sale.   I missed the name of that style of craft, but it was painted with little points of color.   DD said. "Like Pointillism"  Tour guide said, "Are you homeschoolers?"   BTW, I'd recommend the tour.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At our end of the year science club, one of the tween boys said something insulting to one of the younger kids. DD swooped in and responded “No! You cannot talk to him like that! This is a safe place!....By the way, that was a good burn-but not here!” (The mom of the kid being verbally smacked down and I were trying hard to keep a straight face)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if DS5 is AL or not, but here's a funny story from today...

DS: Today we watched another Ms. Frizzle video (Magic School Bus).  It was about the food chain. A fish eats little lobsters, then that fish is eaten by another fish, then that fish is eaten by another fish...

Me: ...then a person eats the fish?

DS: No, Mom. People are in the middle of the food chain.  A fish ate the whole school bus!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

DD, when asked about what she wants to major in “I like animals, brains and animal brains” (she’s looking at programs in behavioral ecology, cognitive science, behavioral neuroscience, ethology, etc, particularly ones that are working with herps-but the mental picture that brings to mind is more like Frankenstein!) 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

From one of my piano students, working on "We Three Kings". "When you put a flat on a note, it's a zombie, half dead, half alive. And in 3/4, the zombie is walking with a short leg, long-short, long-short!"

Gotta love little boys.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

While doing Mad Libs, my kids had to list 2 famous people. They got into an argument over which 2 of the three were more famous: JK Rowling, Brandon Mull, or the #1 chess player. 

Someone asked my kid who his favorite super hero was. He said, "Paul Revere." The person said, "Are you homeschooled?" 

They heard the "We are farmers" jingle for Farmers Insurance and got super excited. "Sumus agricolae, bum ba da bum bum bum."

They do not know what grade they are in. 

My 7yo asked me to buy the book, "Bud, Not Buddy" for his future children. They have told me that they want to marry someone who enjoys read-alouds.

"Mom! Grandma didnt know (insert any Greek myth). But dont worry, I narrated it for her."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

From a homeschooled piano student today

”what are your interests?” (I always ask new kids about other activities, favorite toys, shows, video games, etc because it helps me pick music for them)

”Handicapped Chickens!” Apparently her neighbors own a hobby farm and have several rescue animals, including a special needs chicken with one leg, who this little girl just loves (they also have a three legged goat). So, now I need to find a song about a one legged chicken....uh.....

• Like 5

Another piano student one-a boy came in, happy to show me "Snake Dance". I commented that I loved that one, since we have pet snakes. He asked the names, and I told him a ball python named Pinkie and a corn snake named Wadjet-he said "Oh, WADJET! Like in Story of the World!" (I really love my homeschoolers 🙂 ).

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...