Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

My older two children came to the ultrasound for my youngest. DD, who was about to turn 5 at the time, watched with great interest as the tech pointed out various parts of the baby. Right after she pointed out the spine, the tech moved on to making measurements. DD said, with great disappointment, "Oh, I couldn't see her iliac."

The tech did a double take and said, "Most adults don't know that one."

• Like 2

DD6 told me she would have to be chewing with her cuspids and molars for a while because her lose tooth was hurting.

After reading a book on butterflies she was drying off with a towel around her after a shower and told me she was in her chrysalis and she was puppating (not sure about spelling since she read the book not me!)

• Like 3

My 12 y/o son is teaching his sister's (9) baseball team Spanish.

He reads a book and says, "I finished the book, but she wasn't a very good writer."

In the middle of the year, " Can I please study ancient history? I think it is more interesting than American history."

• Like 1

These are cute!:lol:

From 4yo: "Snuggle is my favorite verb!" (as he snuggles up to me...and my neighbor looks at us like this :001_huh:...not sure if it was the unabashed snuggling or the knowledge of "verb.") He followed up with his little ditty on the definition of a verb, complete with dance moves and facial expressions. He is quite the little ham!:tongue_smilie:

• Like 4

I have a video up on PB with my 5-year-old happily dissecting a frog. She wanted to explore outside the regular parameters and was cutting the leg, creating the proper skin flap, pinning it out, cutting muscle, etc. To add to that, today dh told her about cadavers for anatomy work at college level. She was VERY excited. "To dissect?" "And they donate their bodies?? And then when they're done dissecting, they're buried?" She currently wants to "do frog dissections every DAY!"

She is starting charter school in the fall. I wonder what her science teacher will make of her. :D

• Like 3

When my daughter was a year and a half, she loved the moon. My husband one time showed her on the internet the phases of the moon. From then on, she would point out the phases of the moon and would be most excited when she could point to the sky and say "look, it's a gibbous moon".

• Like 1

Not quite a quote, but today dd5 graduated from her play preschool. The teacher gave out little awards to each kid. Dd got the "MOST CURIOUS" award for "asking more questions than... ANYONE" (when she said it, it sounded like she meant "all the others put together" :lol:), and that her teacher didn't "have the answers to half of them."

That's dd, all right :D. I really, really hope charter school next year doesn't squash that. If it starts to, she gets to come back home with me.

• Like 2

Not quite a quote, but today dd5 graduated from her play preschool. The teacher gave out little awards to each kid. Dd got the "MOST CURIOUS" award for "asking more questions than... ANYONE" (when she said it, it sounded like she meant "all the others put together" :lol:), and that her teacher didn't "have the answers to half of them."

That's dd, all right :D. I really, really hope charter school next year doesn't squash that. If it starts to, she gets to come back home with me.

:lol::lol: Perhaps she's ds's long lost twin;. He used to exhaust many people with all of his questions. When he was 4 and wanted to know how fire made light, he asked questions abut it until we got to the molecular level, and for years (even now, in fact) he wants to know things that are impossible to know (a simple eg from when he was younger is "How many people like broccoli in the world?" but it's not always that simple, and he wants a specific answer). Ds is nearly 11 now and still asks far more questions than his age peers.

Dd5 & I started logic for the first time, using Primarily Logic. We just started analogies and I was pleased that she seemed to grasp them easily. Today I pulled out our second page of analogies and asked, "Meow is to cat as bark is to ______?" There was a chorus of "dog!" as both dd5 and wee little dd3 answered at the same time. Dd3 was going outside & heard me on her way out and hollered the answer. :001_huh: I tried Lollipop Logic with her previously but it was putting actions in order and she didn't really seem to "get" that. Apparently characteristic analogies are easier....

Reminds me of my now 8 year old - when 2 she sat on Santa's lap and asked for "a chocolate velociraptor" for Christmas. DS now 11 when meeting his soccer team a couple of years ago, as they went around the circle asking what they liked to do best for fun (picture kid after kid mentionning their favorite video game), DS says "play my violin"....

Its all about exposure....

Erin

• Like 6

When my 5 year old went to his first dental cleaning, his hygienist was discussing how important it is to brush our "cookie bugs" away.

"You mean microorganisms," my son replied.

:lol::lol::lol: That reminds me of one night when my ds was going to bed when he was 4 or 5. He asked me why it got dark, and I said, "Because the sun goes down." He said, "No, it's because the earth is rotating."

So, why did he ask;)?

• Like 4

From my 4.5 yo:

We finally got ds a "junior" chair so he can sit with us at the "grown-up" table instead of eating at the "kiddie" table. He sat on his new junior chair and announced: "WOW. I love the chair on the outside and I love the chair on the inside." "You love the inside of the chair?" I asked. "Yes. I love the atoms inside the chair."

"The atoms inside your chair?" I asked again. Ds rolled his eyes and replied "Well, mummy, everything is made of atoms..."

• Like 3

Dd5:

"I'm so excited that when I die, I'll let people dissect me! Anyone can come and dissect me, when I'm dead!!!"

And she spent almost 1.5 hours this morning watching surgery on Youtube. I just went there to find a larynx model for sound in BFSU, and then she wanted to see a real larynx, and those camera scopes lead to surgery, and then she was there for 1.5 hours watching oral, brain, heart, and abdominal surgeries. Then she went to play obstructive sleep apnea surgery with her sister.

• Like 4

Dd5:

"I'm so excited that when I die, I'll let people dissect me! Anyone can come and dissect me, when I'm dead!!!"

And she spent almost 1.5 hours this morning watching surgery on Youtube. I just went there to find a larynx model for sound in BFSU, and then she wanted to see a real larynx, and those camera scopes lead to surgery, and then she was there for 1.5 hours watching oral, brain, heart, and abdominal surgeries. Then she went to play obstructive sleep apnea surgery with her sister.

:lol::lol::smilielol5: Doctor in the making? :D

• Like 2

From my 4.5 yo:

We finally got ds a "junior" chair so he can sit with us at the "grown-up" table instead of eating at the "kiddie" table. He sat on his new junior chair and announced: "WOW. I love the chair on the outside and I love the chair on the inside." "You love the inside of the chair?" I asked. "Yes. I love the atoms inside the chair."

"The atoms inside your chair?" I asked again. Ds rolled his eyes and replied "Well, mummy, everything is made of atoms..."

:lol:

:lol::lol::smilielol5: Doctor in the making? :D

So far I would guess yes :D. She also wants 13 children and to be their doctor in a skyscraper house ;).

She is less interested in things like Shakespeare for Kids--"It was boring. They just talked a lot about getting married and fighting." Yup. Sounds like Shakespeare :rofl:

Edited by LittleIzumi
  • Like 1

From my 4.5 yo:

Duh, mom. :lol::lol:

"Mommy! I just found this fish floating in the lake! It is still flexible, so it must be fresh! Can we dissect it PLLLEEEEASSSSEEEE!!!!"

"Cool! Now let's see what's behind the eyeball! Ewwww, is that its brain? It's so small! It must not be very smart."

Sigh. Fish dissection was not part of the relaxing vacation at the lake I had hoped for, but okay. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

"Mommy! I just found this fish floating in the lake! It is still flexible, so it must be fresh! Can we dissect it PLLLEEEEASSSSEEEE!!!!"

"Cool! Now let's see what's behind the eyeball! Ewwww, is that its brain? It's so small! It must not be very smart."

Sigh. Fish dissection was not part of the relaxing vacation at the lake I had hoped for, but okay. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol: What did you dissect it with?

This is completely the opposite of all the science-y stuff, but when my dd, age 5, first saw her father opening up a packet of prosciutto, she said, "That looks just like pages in a book of ham."

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting the thread!

Dd5 brought her backpack when she biked with me to the park. At the park I found out it not only contained a freezer bag full of water and a plastic cup in one pocket, but also a handful of C-rods, her 1A IP book, and The Cat in Numberland in another pocket, "in case I want to do math at the park." She also served drinks from her freezer bag to everyone.

Love her!!

• Like 2

We were at a family occasion today and my FIL's sister approached my DD6 and said, "You probably don't remember me; I'm your daddy's aunt." DD6 responded, "Oh, that means you're my Grand-aunt."

A week or so ago, she came up to me out of the blue and asked, "Is the child of my first cousin once removed my second cousin?"

Okay, fess up, how many of you adults aren't sure if she got that right? (She did, assuming that she's the one who's further from the common ancestor; otherwise the child would be her first cousin twice removed.)

• Like 1

At the beach we got a few looks. The boys (7 & 10) had been busy for quite a while.

"hey, guys, what did you build?"

"Early civilization. Up here is fortified Rome-- here's the Circus Maximus, the Forum, and the Coloseum. Out here are the farms. Winding down this way is the Appian Way (lined with shells and rocks under the sand). Here's the Mediterranean, and down here we built the pyramids and the Nile-- the wet parts are where it's flooded. Over here are the Tigris and the Euphrates..."

Thank heaven we aren't very far into the school year, or they'd have carved up the whole beach!

• Like 2

At the beach we got a few looks. The boys (7 & 10) had been busy for quite a while.

"hey, guys, what did you build?"

"Early civilization. Up here is fortified Rome-- here's the Circus Maximus, the Forum, and the Coloseum. Out here are the farms. Winding down this way is the Appian Way (lined with shells and rocks under the sand). Here's the Mediterranean, and down here we built the pyramids and the Nile-- the wet parts are where it's flooded. Over here are the Tigris and the Euphrates..."

Thank heaven we aren't very far into the school year, or they'd have carved up the whole beach!

:lol::lol:

My dh was talking with my 9yo who was building with Lego's at the time. Ds was explaining to him the the blue and red single pieces were the energy cores. Dh asked what the difference was between them. Ds's answer was...

"Well, the blue one is pure energy, like rescuing dolphins and the red one is corrupted like war."

They then went into an hour long discussion about war.

We were at the pool when dark, ugly clouds rolled in. A gentleman next to us said, "storms a brewin'" DS7 looked at him and said "yes, those nimbostratus clouds look like they mean business" :D

:lol:

I wish I could post truly witty things my kids have said that make them look all smart and stuff compared to public schoolers.

But, alas, I get stuff like this:

"I know what pubic means. It's right here." (DD, 8 at the time, proceeds to point to her PUPIL).

or, at age 10: "I can't think of another word that has a suffix." Me: "Hm. Well, how about trying to think of a word that ends in ful?" She: "Oh, I know. Waffle."

Or my 5 year old son wanted to tell us, "I'm a ninja. You can't see me." But instead told us, "I'm a inja. I can't see."

:tongue_smilie:

:lol: Loved all of these.

as we were passing some slow-moving wind turbines, DS4 piped up from the back seat-- "These turbines don't have too much torque." DH and I just about fell out of our seats....

And then another time DS folded in his thumbs and started running around waving the remaining four fingers, calling, "Hey, I'm a proboscis monkey, I have no opposable thumbs!"

It's cute that the smallest things excite him--he was explaining with excitement to his cousin that "did you know that there are numbers before zero? Can you believe it? They're negative!!"

• Like 2