Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

My kids are much older but I remember a few things.

I remember how disappointed ds was at age 6 when the other children in the playground on the equipment were all for playing war but had no concept of the Battle of Midway or any other of the battles of WWII let alone what WWII was. That son loved to watch VIctory at Sea.

Then I also remember how perplexed he was at a much older age, probably 12, when he told his fellow Scouts how geometry was his favorite subject, and particularly the proofs. The other boys stared at him.

My second one was always astonishing people with her knowledge of dinosaurs at a young age. Then a little older, it was her knowledge of Greek Mythology- where she won the contest on a cruise ship, ahead of scores of adults - and most of whom were Europeans.

My third wasn't so obvious mainly because she was an extrovert and spent more of her time with people. But in the last four years, she has shown her true talents- engineering. It just slowly dawned on me how talented she is. She started out early being able to fix things but at first they were just minor fixes. But about four years ago, she surpassed her physics father in fixing skills when she repaired a bike he had been having a hard time repairing. Then I saw over and over again how she just sees correct designs in her head (at Odyssey of Mind competition, and various robotics activities). I think she spent much of her earlier childhood just observing how things work in all types of ways and then without any formal learning, just incorporated it into her viewpoint. I also see it in teaching her physics- she has been doing conceptual physics and it has been a review for her even though we really haven't covered hardly any of it beforehand. I have just been able to skip to the questions and she gets them right.

We're visiting family in Baker City, Oregon and went up to the Interpretive Center today. DD2.5 was fussing, and the gift shop ladies tried to distract her with an otter finger puppet. It didn't work, of course, until they walked away.

Then she picked up the otter, pointed to its feet, and said, "He have web feet, so he can swim in the water."

I said, "That's right, sweetie. How do you know that?"

At first, she just repeated it a few times, but finally added, "I love Diego, watch it ALLLL day."

Well, of course!

We're visiting family in Baker City, Oregon and went up to the Interpretive Center today. DD2.5 was fussing, and the gift shop ladies tried to distract her with an otter finger puppet. It didn't work, of course, until they walked away.

Then she picked up the otter, pointed to its feet, and said, "He have web feet, so he can swim in the water."

I said, "That's right, sweetie. How do you know that?"

At first, she just repeated it a few times, but finally added, "I love Diego, watch it ALLLL day."

Well, of course!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has occasional, "WOW, I'm doing such an AWESOME JOB with home-.... oh, you learned that on a TV show? :glare::glare::glare:" moments!

• Like 1

My 18mo ds has a new game: he comes up to me and says, "One, two make! One, two make!" I tell him that one and two make three, and he runs to the abacus and starts ticking away (randomly). Then back to ask the same question again, ad nauseum.

I guess he's been paying attention to his sister's Miquon lessons...

We're planning an NME study group/club and the plan for the first meeting is for the kids to "come as their favorite God/Goddess" and present their character to the group. One of the three year old siblings, while discussing the choices, said he wanted to be Dionycus-because he's the "party god". Should be a fun meeting.

My 6 yr son and I were sitting on the couch while he is coloring in the union and confederate states and he says " mom, this is fun, I really love doing this....now can we mark in all the battles?"

He wanted to not just plot them but do a day by day turn of the battles. I was like ugh... they went in circles for a week sometimes.

• Like 1

My dd is fascinated with Geology--earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis. She wanted to get some books about tsunamis at the library the other day so she asked the children's librarian if they had any tsunami books and the librarian looked at me and I said yeah she has been asking for them. Jennifer then turned and said to me all calm "I'm going to play with the puzzles right there if that's ok while you find out where the books are", after I said okay she went to the table a foot away and sat down and proceeded to do puzzles meant for like 2 year olds. The librarian turns to me and says "i don't even know how to spell tsunami" and "why does she want to learn about them"

We just caught DS9 out of bed and in the kitchen. His response?

â€I just came in here to get some tryptophan.â€

Whatever happened to asking for a glass of milk?

:lol::lol: Of course, tryptophan is in more than just milk;).

It's like asking for potassium pods instead of bananas, but the person I know who does this is an adult, so it's not as cute.

• Like 1

Not school related but my 11 year old had me laughing so hard I almost had to pull over. We had to run by Walmart and there was an older man in a very short pair of cut off. He also had really long pale legs. I had avoided him because I doubted my ability not to snicker, but ended up behind him in the self checkout line. Dh and D's were in the car and could see me trying not to look.

I missed the man bending over, and the view my DH and DS were blessed with. I got back in the car to them crying in laughter.

DS said "It looked like a snuffleupagus peeked his head out on a snowy day":001_huh: :lol::lol: :lol:

Not school related, but...we were listening to Margaritaville on the radio...

Ds8: Mom, did he ever find his lost shaker of salt?

Me: It doesn't sound like it.

Ds8: So he's like Bono - he still hasn't found what he's looking for.

Me: :001_huh::lol:

• Like 3

...when your 2 1/2 year old asks you to repeat her favorite song on the CD on the car, which happens to be †In the Hall of Mountain King,†and then when you oblige, she announces, †the sound will grow bigger, bigger, bigger, and then the pretty, pretty.â€

...when your 2 1/2 year old asks you to repeat her favorite song on the CD on the car, which happens to be ” In the Hall of Mountain King,” and then when you oblige, she announces, ” the sound will grow bigger, bigger, bigger, and then the pretty, pretty.”

You might enjoy watching this preschooler, then. This was first posted on the Choral Net.

Here he is at 3 at home

I think this is the same boy at 4, but don't remember how I know that. I found this today which does say that his name is Jonathan. http://www.care2.com/news/member/798035529/2847724 (that shows the first video)

You might enjoy watching this preschooler, then. This was first posted on the Choral Net.

Here he is at 3 at home

I think this is the same boy at 4, but don't remember how I know that. I found this today which does say that his name is Jonathan. http://www.care2.com/news/member/798035529/2847724 (that shows the first video)

Amazing! The one at 3 is funny, too! So animated!

This isn't really a funny, but I'm so glad we homeschool. Today The Sponge played violin (got it yesterday), did semi-remedial phonics, 2nd grade math, chemistry, 4th grade reading comprehension, ASL, had her first violin lesson, and then practiced on her own for HOURS until I had her put it away for dinner. I can't picture her in a traditional 1st (by age) or 2nd classroom, esp working around strong ADD. I do have to get her to put the violin away for long enough to do school, though. :tongue_smilie:

Violin too? From your description of her day, you really do have a clone of my daughter. Scary.

Meanwhile, said daughter had a meltdown today because I wouldn't accept her position that 30 is an odd number because there are three tens. I had her divide it by two and by five and she accepted that both answers were even but passionately maintained "But you're not CARING about the tens!!!" as though they would be upset if I failed to recognise there were three of them. I can only imagine how well that would have gone down in a typical classroom.

• Like 1

Violin too? From your description of her day, you really do have a clone of my daughter. Scary.

Meanwhile, said daughter had a meltdown today because I wouldn't accept her position that 30 is an odd number because there are three tens. I had her divide it by two and by five and she accepted that both answers were even but passionately maintained "But you're not CARING about the tens!!!" as though they would be upset if I failed to recognise there were three of them. I can only imagine how well that would have gone down in a typical classroom.

:lol::lol::lol: How about something about feelings? That since each 10 is always even even, the 3 tens' feelings might be hurt if they were called odd when three of them got together? Or you could liken it to cats and dogs. Cats are even & dogs are odd (or you could use anything she'd listen to) and when you have 2 or 3 cats, they are still cats. Okay, this is really not a very close illustration, but I've been on the computer past my limit.

Overheard a conversation between my boys while they were cooperatively putting away the silverware:

DS7: Remember, you need to pick up each piece of silverware, quickly assess what it is, and then place it into the correct category.

DS4: Um, can I just look at it and put it in the drawer?

:lol:

• Like 2

Overheard a conversation between my boys while they were cooperatively putting away the silverware:

DS7: Remember, you need to pick up each piece of silverware, quickly assess what it is, and then place it into the correct category.

DS4: Um, can I just look at it and put it in the drawer?

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I love this thread :D

Last weekend I read DH the Heisenberg/Schrodinger joke that was posted on the General Board. We then had to explain to the kids who Schrodinger was and why he would have had a dead cat in his car. DH gave the kids the basics of the 'thought experiment' and I said, "Basically, he has a cat in a box and until they lift the lid, he doesn't know if the cat is alive or dead." My 7 yo DD piped up and said, "Unless he did the experiment in a glass box. Then he could just see." :lol:

• Like 1

We are studying elections and political parties this year, for obvious reasons. It became clear my 9 year old had taken it all to heart when we were all having a conversation in the car as we drove by a medical marijuana store, which are common in our part of Colorado these days. One of our other children asked what it was and I explained. We talked about it not being legal without an Rx.

From the back seat I hear my son saying "Well, I am a Libertarian and even though I'll never use it, I don't have problem with others using it. After all, the government doesn't need to be that much in our lives.".

Cindy

This thread is one of my favorites. :001_smile:

Max doesn't normally show off his vocabulary, so it's kind of fun for me when he does.

He was complaining about being warm and thirsty (in the car, with AC on, on our way to dinner), and said he was going to faint. To distract him, Dh asked "how do you spell faint?"

"F-e-i-n-t"

"That's one way to spell it, but the way you meant it is spelled 'f-a-i-n-t'"

"Not really, I was feinting. F-e-i-n-t-i-n-g.":D

I love this thread

Last weekend I read DH the Heisenberg/Schrodinger joke that was posted on the General Board. We then had to explain to the kids who Schrodinger was and why he would have had a dead cat in his car. DH gave the kids the basics of the 'thought experiment' and I said, "Basically, he has a cat in a box and until they lift the lid, he doesn't know if the cat is alive or dead." My 7 yo DD piped up and said, "Unless he did the experiment in a glass box. Then he could just see."

:lol::lol::lol::lol: That sounds exactly like The Sponge. Good times.

If they ever got together they could--dare I say it--Rule The World! *cue Bill Nye maniacal laughter overdub*

He was complaining about being warm and thirsty (in the car, with AC on, on our way to dinner), and said he was going to faint. To distract him, Dh asked "how do you spell faint?"

"F-e-i-n-t"

"That's one way to spell it, but the way you meant it is spelled 'f-a-i-n-t'"

"Not really, I was feinting. F-e-i-n-t-i-n-g."

:lol::lol::lol: Brilliant.

Reading MCT's Grammar Island. *"clauses: groups of words making single ideas or double ideas".

Me: (muttering) "What is a double idea"?*

Son: "you would need 2 brains to think about it".

Then he said, it's ok. I have lots of brains- like, 14 baby brains; so I can think of a lot of things at once.

Edited by La Texican

My son is now 10.

We were working in Grammar Voyage where there's an homage to the To Be or Not to Be speech. I read him the original and we talked a bit about the play.

He begged to read it for the rest of the day.

He's into act ii now and thinks its incredibly cool.

I imagine we'll watch a video production over the weekend.

I just can't see any school fitting him well.

Hamlet!

This thread is great! :lurk5:

My 2 year old (he'll be 3 at the end of Oct) asked me at dinner this evening if I had ever been to Greenland. I told him I had not. He said he wanted to go, then proceeded to point it out on the map.

We haven't talked about Greenland lately, but obviously someone must be absorbing his brother's geography lessons...

This thread is great! :lurk5:

My 2 year old (he'll be 3 at the end of Oct) asked me at dinner this evening if I had ever been to Greenland. I told him I had not. He said he wanted to go, then proceeded to point it out on the map.

We haven't talked about Greenland lately, but obviously someone must be absorbing his brother's geography lessons...

:lol::lol: I have ancestors who went to Greenland & then onto Vinland...not that your 2 yo cares about that. Apparently my mother is descended from the baby who was born in Vinland, and, therefore, so was I.

Love this thread, too!

We had a butterfly emerge this morning (my dd7 is a butterfly enthusiast--this about the 20th we've had over the past few years). I told her to go let it out on the butterfly bush before we started school. She went outside and then came back in with the butterfly, saying, "The wind and the rain have redoubled their fury, so I brought it back in." I looked outside at the gentle rain, and added a word to her vocabulary: hyperbole!:001_smile:

• Like 1

Ok, I realize that as the kids get older, the things they say aren't quite as cute. My son is 9 now, so I may find this funnier than you all do...

We went to a sort of local train museum last week and they have one area that has been converted to a hands-on, play area for the kids. It's had a room built over it, but it still has track running through it.

My son said, "I think that's standard gauge, but I'm not sure."

I said, "Well, you said standard gauge is 4' 8 1/2", right, and you are 4' 9", so if you lie down on it and stick over just a tiny bit, it must be standard gauge."

So he did lie down, and then he turned to his sister and pointed to the handcar standing nearby, and said, "If that started to move, it would cut this much of my head off (indicating about 1/2 inch). That would be tragic!" :lol:

• Like 1

We were at lunch with my sister and her kids (not homeschooled, and the same age (and she disapproves of my homeschooling the kids)

My kindy daughter is staring out the window. I asked her what she was doing and to eat her lunch. She looks at me and says "Mama, that window is an inanimate object." and went back to eating.:tongue_smilie:

Last year (at age 4) she was cough/choking. I asked is she was ok and she said "yes, I just got something stuck in my esophagus." I asked if she knew what that was, and she said "yes it is the tube that connects your mouth with your tummy" (thank you Magic School Bus:lol:). I should imagine that the same sister was over for dinner.:D