Menu

in a quandary about science & testing

Janie's question about standardized tests has given me the courage to ask for your input about science. In another thread...

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238548&highlight=science+alternative+natural+history

...you all were brilliant and gracious about my alternative plan for high school science. We're just now about mid-way through eighth grade, but plan to do our required standardized testing in June.

Last week I picked up a Spectrum science test prep book at our Borders' big closing sale. I thought we'd more or less hit all the middle school science topics pretty well, in our haphazard way. But when my son took the pre-test at the beginning of that book -- whoa. Nasty wake up call.

So I'm considering one of two courses of action:

Ditch our current life science / natural history course and use the AMSCO 8th grade science review book. I got this on inter-library loan, and it looks good. It covers, doesn't just test (like Spectrum), all the material that would be on the ITBS. This would give us an overview of middle school science material in a relatively pain-free way.

OR

Continue with our current, eclectic science program, and do the CAT test in June, which covers mainly verbal and math skills.

The reason I'm asking here is because I can't quite figure out what would be the best preparation for success in a high school program for a child who fully intends to attend a four year liberal arts college.

Any thoughts?

Is this state required testing for homeschoolers? My guess is that the results will have no impact on college admissions. If your current science plans are working for your son, don't change because of this one test. I'd vote for the CAT test which you stated covers primarily verbal and math skills.

Regards,

Kareni

Is this state required testing for homeschoolers? My guess is that the results will have no impact on college admissions. If your current science plans are working for your son, don't change because of this one test. I'd vote for the CAT test which you stated covers primarily verbal and math skills.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, state required testing. No one checks in Washington on your test scores, though. I did think it would be useful to have high scores, however, in the event that we wanted to enroll him in math at the local high school next year.

And sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't thinking so much about the test impacting his admission into college as I was thinking about whether or not we really needed to cover that material, which, with our current arrangement, we are (apparently!) not. :tongue_smilie:

I think a lot of the science questions on tests are about charts, graphs, reading data, interpreting data, etc. I don't think you have to switch programs but mainly to make sure you cover those items in science in general.

See, that's what I thought. My older son's always aced his science tests, because basically, at the high school level, they were reading comprehension and reasoning type questions. But this Spectrum test booklet really threw me, because there was (gasp!) actual science content that he just didn't know.

Maybe I just should ditch the science test prep book!

I'm going to risk being the lone dissenter ... :tongue_smilie: High school science is done much more easily if there's been some foundation in junior high. I think your eclectic, probably hands-on, approach is great, but I would start now to supplement with the types of things Spectrum is testing. Not because it's on the test, but because having this knowledge will help make high school science that much easier. As far as which test you go with, I would think either one would be fine. :)

I have them go to a local Christian school to take the SAT-10 every year. I have always told them not to worry about the science and math scores. We may or may not have covered exactly what is on the test. Most years they have made in the 90-99 percentile in history especially. Sometimes not. I just ignore the scores. Their science scores have been high as well. That said, my oldest did:

Apologia General Science 6th

Apologia Physical Science 7th

Apologia Biology 8th

My middle one.. I cannot remember what science we did 6th.. an eclectic mix. Then he did general in 6th and is doing physical science in 8th. I never did any test prep in science or history.

Christine

And sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't thinking so much about the test impacting his admission into college as I was thinking about whether or not we really needed to cover that material, which, with our current arrangement, we are (apparently!) not. :tongue_smilie:

Given that there is an infinite amount of material under the umbrella of Science, I would not be concerned that you are not covering THE science that is on the test, so long as you are covering some science.

In my opinion, enjoy the science you're doing and call it good.

Regards,

Kareni

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238548&highlight=science+alternative+natural+history

Last week I picked up a Spectrum science test prep book at our Borders' big closing sale. I thought we'd more or less hit all the middle school science topics pretty well, in our haphazard way. But when my son took the pre-test at the beginning of that book -- whoa. Nasty wake up call.

I have to say we experienced a smiliar feeling..... My son 9th grade took the PLAN test early this year....it's supposed to be for 10th next year....anyway he scored in the 97th percentile in Science..... my daughter 7th grade was preparing for the Stanford Acheivement tests and we bought the 7th grade Spectrum test prep book...the science portion had her in tears.... My son asked what was wrong....he looked at the book, worked through the question himself and the promplty stated, well the graphs and charts are self explanatory but some of those questions and the answers are just plain stupid. They don't make sense...so dd was all worried about taking the tests...Shouldn't have worried, she said it was much better on the actual testing....scores aren't back yet, but she did fine on the CAT last year.

Since WA doesn't require you to submit your scores I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't see your science track but I'm guessing it's not like ps science - all over the place. Your child probably would not do as well. My kids just finished taking the CAT5 and I saw Biology questions. DD hasn't done Biology since 6th grade - she may have tanked the Science portion. To me it's okay. I expect her to do well in in the other skill based areas (except Spelling - our family seems to have a genetic defect). I have homeschooled for eight years and have yet to be asked to see my kid's standardized test scores (and dd did go to ps for one year).

I have to say we experienced a smiliar feeling..... My son 9th grade took the PLAN test early this year....it's supposed to be for 10th next year....anyway he scored in the 97th percentile in Science..... my daughter 7th grade was preparing for the Stanford Acheivement tests and we bought the 7th grade Spectrum test prep book...the science portion had her in tears.... My son asked what was wrong....he looked at the book, worked through the question himself and the promplty stated, well the graphs and charts are self explanatory but some of those questions and the answers are just plain stupid. They don't make sense...so dd was all worried about taking the tests...Shouldn't have worried, she said it was much better on the actual testing....scores aren't back yet, but she did fine on the CAT last year.

Okay, this makes me feel much better! All your posts do. I think I was just blindsided by that Spectrum pre-test.

I will carry on with our original plan, but we'll work through the Spectrum test exercises together, and look stuff up if we haven't covered the material and it seems interesting or pertinent for future courses.

Thanks!

We used these and found them to be super.None of these are creationist.

http://books.kolbe.org/store/m/46-High-School-Science.html However I supplement heavily with Richard Dawkins, Jerry Coyne http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/

, Bernd Heinrich http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/4380/Bernd_Heinrich/index.aspx

and several books about epidemiology. The latter included a rather detailed text on human reproduction and disease as I consider that the most important science subject for these years. We used the following for the study of disease http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=29701&cgi=product&isbn=081292990x

And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts, Polio by Oshinsky and that old standby , The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. I know three young men who became MD's based on a passion for science fueled by Preston's book. My daughter is so pleased to be finished with STD Fridays as we self titled our learning project on that topic. On a serious note And The Band Played On actually merged nicely with our course in US Govt and why thousands died needlessly due to hate and ignorance with a nice dose of the bureacracy at work. I hope some of the material is useful. Next year we will watch this amazing film. http://www.amazon.com/Common-Threads-Stories-Sara-Lewinstein/dp/B0001Y4LDM/ref=ed_oe_dvd It made concrete for me the incredible mind boggling losses suffered by many to HIV. I cried for weeks as those beautiful quilt squares kept being unfolded one after another, after another. It is uncomfortable to cross those developmental bridges with dd but it is life and death.

Edited by elizabeth

We used these and found them to be super.None of these are creationist.

http://books.kolbe.org/store/m/46-High-School-Science.html However I supplement heavily with Richard Dawkins, Jerry Coyne http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/

, Bernd Heinrich http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/4380/Bernd_Heinrich/index.aspx

and several books about epidemiology. The latter included a rather detailed text on human reproduction and disease as I consider that the most important science subject for these years. We used the following for the study of disease http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=29701&cgi=product&isbn=081292990x

And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts, Polio by Oshinsky and that old standby , The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. I know three young men who became MD's based on a passion for science fueled by Preston's book. My daughter is so pleased to be finished with STD Fridays as we self titled our learning project on that topic. On a serious note And The Band Played On actually merged nicely with our course in US Govt and why thousands died needlessly due to hate and ignorance with a nice dose of the bureacracy at work. I hope some of the material is useful. Next year we will watch this amazing film. http://www.amazon.com/Common-Threads-Stories-Sara-Lewinstein/dp/B0001Y4LDM/ref=ed_oe_dvd It made concrete for me the incredible mind boggling losses suffered by many to HIV. I cried for weeks as those beautiful quilt squares kept being unfolded one after another, after another. It is uncomfortable to cross those developmental bridges with dd but it is life and death.

Oh, wow! Another fantastic goldmine of sources!

I saw a PBS special a while back about polio that I've been thinking about trying to find, so I'm especially glad to see that Polio book recommendation. And since we're studying civics this year, this is perfect.

Sadly, we have a family member with HIV, so my kids are more up on the history of AIDS than I wish they were. I will check out that video. I know someone who was involved with the quilt project, a musician, who was a part of making that movie, if I recall. Whenever we watch anything to do with slavery or civil rights I weep like a baby. (And reading Uncle Tom's Cabin right now is killing me.) So I feel you. About ten years ago, I heard by a man with AIDS at a church that was wrestling with becoming "open and affirming" and just thinking about it gives me chills. The part that sticks with me, haunts me, was when he talked about the fact that he knows not one single person who has known him for more than five years. He was older, had no siblings, parents were dead, and his entire community was wiped out by AIDS. He had no one to share memories with. The politics of AIDS infuriates me, but I suppose we have to deal with that stuff with out children at some point, as you say.

I was also remembering a book that a friend told me about, perhaps call Germs? Does that ring a bell? Something about Reagan and AIDS in the 80s. I'll ask my friend.

STD Fridays! Gallows humor at its best.

Again, thank you! This is the kind of list that makes me re-think throwing in the towel.

ETA: Summer World looks fantastic! I think I need that right now.

Edited by Nicole M

Oh, wow! Another fantastic goldmine of sources!

I saw a PBS special a while back about polio that I've been thinking about trying to find, so I'm especially glad to see that Polio book recommendation. And since we're studying civics this year, this is perfect.

Sadly, we have a family member with HIV, so my kids are more up on the history of AIDS than I wish they were. I will check out that video. I know someone who was involved with the quilt project, a musician, who was a part of making that movie, if I recall. Whenever we watch anything to do with slavery or civil rights I weep like a baby. (And reading Uncle Tom's Cabin right now is killing me.) So I feel you. About ten years ago, I heard by a man with AIDS at a church that was wrestling with becoming "open and affirming" and just thinking about it gives me chills. The part that sticks with me, haunts me, was when he talked about the fact that he knows not one single person who has known him for more than five years. He was older, had no siblings, parents were dead, and his entire community was wiped out by AIDS. He had no one to share memories with. The politics of AIDS infuriates me, but I suppose we have to deal with that stuff with out children at some point, as you say.

I was also remembering a book that a friend told me about, perhaps call Germs? Does that ring a bell? Something about Reagan and AIDS in the 80s. I'll ask my friend.

STD Fridays! Gallows humor at its best.

Again, thank you! This is the kind of list that makes me re-think throwing in the towel.

ETA: Summer World looks fantastic! I think I need that right now.

I am glad that there were suggestions you can use. Bernd Heinrich is just absolutely wonderful and will capture your son's interest in the natural world.