Menu

Philly travel plans: post here

I thought I'd start a new thread that could serve as a clearing house for info on travel plans.

Expedia is having a one day sale. I've found flights from Providence to Philly for $199. There are some $49 flights between other cities. I'm still thinking of taking the train (which is so easy and lovely. The travel time is longer but I can spend almost every minute reading instead of dealing with airport hassles). Or carpooling (only if any one of our more northern sisters really does need to stop overnight en route)

Does anyone know if anything is planned for Thursday afternoon/evening?

For those who didn't see it on the older poll thread, I've volunteered to pick up/drop off anyone at the Philadelphia airport. I don't want to get stuck in leaving-the-city traffic on Thursday so flights with arrivals before 3pm would be best.

I don't know if anything official will be planned for Thursday. We could always play show-and-tell with whatever we bring and/or break out the chocolate and beverages :D

I'll be in Pennsylvania starting the Sunday before the convention with nothing to do.

I would be interested in small meetups with people around Philadelphia in the meantime.

As of now I don't even know where I'll be sleeping! Are those dorms available even earlier?? That would be good for me.

. My couch is super-comfy. :D .

Really???? This would make my day / week ! I'd be willing to exchange French lessons if you want ;-)

I don't need a drive to the conference, I'll have my own car. I am driving down with DD on Sat to drop her off at a gym camp, but I'm not driving back home. It's 9 hours away, and DD has health issues. I dont want to be 9 hours away, and the other side of the border, just in case. But I also can't stick around the camp with nothing to do. The Saturday, I'll stay with DD near the place where she goes. I'm supposed to drop her off on Sunday.

In fact, the couch is exactly what I was hoping for. Have you ever heard of couch-surfing? I was hoping to do exactly that. I'll be out of your house during the day so you can homeschool, or if you prefer, I can help with the homeschooling. Whichever you prefer!

It would be from Sunday night to Thursday whenever, so four nights.

Edited by CleoQc
typo

I'm really hoping the conference doesn't fill up before I can get the money together to sign up.

And... I'll be driving up from MD (either Eastern Shore or southern MD, depending on where my daughter stays for the day), and probably just for Saturday. The 25 dollar-a-night dorm sounds awesome, but I don't have that right now to be able to reserve the room. Does anyone know if you can register for the conference and then reserve a room later??

Speaking of the registration fees...exactly how much is it? We paid $40 (for dh and myself) for the original conf. Looking at the RFWP website, if I'm understanding correctly, this is now $25/person if more than one person in the family attends? Is that correct? If so, that would be $10 more than the orig. conf.? Doesn't make sense. Am I just reading it wrong?

Speaking of the registration fees...exactly how much is it? We paid $40 (for dh and myself) for the original conf. Looking at the RFWP website, if I'm understanding correctly, this is now $25/person if more than one person in the family attends? Is that correct? If so, that would be $10 more than the orig. conf.? Doesn't make sense. Am I just reading it wrong?

I seem to recall there was a discount for family members but since no one is coming with me, I didn't pay much attention

OK, I really, REALLY don't wanna fly, so here's my idea:

I'm coming from central Kansas. I'd *like* to rent a car or van, and maybe pick people up along the way. Anyone I would pick up could help cover gas, maybe? It's roughly a 24 hour trip (per Mapquest) from my town to Phoenixville. I would have to at least stop and say boo to my brother and SIL in Indianapolis, because they're having a baby in May, and I wanna meet her, so I'm hoping to actually stop for Wednesday night in Indy (I'll probably be crashing on their couch, but... with a new baby, I'm not sure how excited they'd be about strangers crashing, so you might need to find a hotel for that night). So... tentative plan:

Leave Salina, KS around 8 am Wednesday. Spend Wednesday night in Indianapolis.

Leave Indy early Thursday morning, pull into Phoenixville Thursday night.

Any takers between here and there? I'm basically going to be taking 70 all of the way across, and I'd like to not get off of it if I could.

OK, off to find a vehicle. Any takers? Depending on what I can afford car wise is how many I'll be able to take.

We are staying on campus, but will be coming in on Thursday. There isn't any food on Thursday, so we will have to find a place to eat for dinner on Thursday. Then on Saturday we are driving to Philly and staying until Monday.

I'm coming in Thursday night as well and will need to eat dinner out. :D

OK, I really, REALLY don't wanna fly, so here's my idea:

I'm coming from central Kansas. I'd *like* to rent a car or van, and maybe pick people up along the way. Anyone I would pick up could help cover gas, maybe? It's roughly a 24 hour trip (per Mapquest) from my town to Phoenixville. I would have to at least stop and say boo to my brother and SIL in Indianapolis, because they're having a baby in May, and I wanna meet her, so I'm hoping to actually stop for Wednesday night in Indy (I'll probably be crashing on their couch, but... with a new baby, I'm not sure how excited they'd be about strangers crashing, so you might need to find a hotel for that night). So... tentative plan:

Leave Salina, KS around 8 am Wednesday. Spend Wednesday night in Indianapolis.

Leave Indy early Thursday morning, pull into Phoenixville Thursday night.

Any takers between here and there? I'm basically going to be taking 70 all of the way across, and I'd like to not get off of it if I could.

OK, off to find a vehicle. Any takers? Depending on what I can afford car wise is how many I'll be able to take.

Well, I'm out for the carpooling. Turns out, it would be more expensive than flying. :svengo:

But my bf lives near Salina, so I really tried to make it work! :D

Ok, so where are we all going? ;)

I'm pretty easy when it comes to food. :)

Does anyone know what the food will be like at the college? Would it be dining hall food?

I paid for the conference, but I may just bring my own lunch and eat out for dinner. Do the sessions go through dinner time?

Well, I'm out for the carpooling. Turns out, it would be more expensive than flying. :svengo:

But my bf lives near Salina, so I really tried to make it work! :D

:( Bummer!! We'll have to get together for dinner or something next time you're able to get to Salina to visit your BF, though. ;)

Are children allowed at the conference? We thought we'd make a week of it and hit all the PA historical sites.

I read it as children are welcome but they need to register and pay the $25.00 per person and this will end up covering expenses but not paying the speakers anything or much. They are limiting the number of participants and don't want standing room. It's meant to be more cozy than the big venues. I'm bringing my teens.

I'm going up on Thursday night too and open for dinner. I got the meal plan for Friday and Saturday. What happens if you end up eating out and not using it? Can you get a refund or something?

I doubt we can get a refund because they are having the college buy and prepare a certain amount of food. They told me it is good. :D

I doubt we can get a refund because they are having the college buy and prepare a certain amount of food. They told me it is good. :D

Good point. lol! It's cheap enough that if I decide to skip a meal there and go out it's not a huge deal so it's all good. I like to have lots of options. :tongue_smilie:

Jen,what time are you getting in? I might be flying from Providence and would like to see if I could organize my travel to get in around the same time as others and perhaps hitch a ride with Luckymamma. (If there is room....)

I get in just before 1pm Thursday and leave just after 9pm Sat.:)

Jen,what time are you getting in? I might be flying from Providence and would like to see if I could organize my travel to get in around the same time as others and perhaps hitch a ride with Luckymamma. (If there is room....)

There will be room in my red van :D So far I've got Osmosis Mom and the sweetie pie and Jen..I'd love to add you, yellowperch!

Luckymama, if I fly I would love love love to hop in your red van. I will be finalizing travel plans tonight or tomorrow. Jen's getting in at 1. What time are Osmosis mom and the babe getting in? There are a couple of flights so it looks like I'd have some flexibility. I can try to aim to get in whenever it is most convenient for you.

Thank you for the offer.