Menu

How do I handle SAT2 scores when the exams are taken before their senior year?

I've been hearing/reading a lot from hs moms indicating that colleges are wanting to see SAT2 scores (or AP scores) from homeschoolers applying to college.

The SAT website I looked at recommended that kids take the SAT2 tests immediately following the class, while the information is fresh.

But when the student in question is not a senior, what do I do with the scores? He has no idea what school he wants to go to yet, so we can't submit them anywhere. Don't colleges want scores sent directly to them?

How have you handled SAT2 scores taken before the child's senior year?

Thanks!

Hillary

Once day, when he finally decides to apply to a college, he can request to have them sent from the College Board. All of the test scores will be on there.

If he knows where he would like to go by the end of his junior year, he could always send them in them (for free!), and again, it will include all of the scores.

My only advice goes right along with the college board: take the test as soon as possible after the end of the class and use a prep book. The prep books do not need to be the current year, you can pick up a previous year for very little $$, but it will be good to review exactly what is covered on the test.

HTH!

So it's not difficult/expensive/a hassle to ask the College Board to send his scores when he's a senior and applying to college?

Well, you will pay a fee for each college to which you send scores ....

I also noted test scores on my daughter's transcript. This included SAT, SAT Subject tests, AP, NLE (National Latin Exam) and NGE (National Greek exam) scores.

Regards,

Kareni

Not a hassle, just a fee. Every time you take a subject or regular test, you can send up to 4 reports for free. Any extra school submissions, or any submissions during any other time, incur a $10 fee.

Don't forget about fee waivers, if you are eligible. All you have to do is provide proof to a neighborhood school that you are eligible, and they issue a waiver. Everyone eligible gets a waiver; a homeschooler's waiver does not "replace" a waiver for a PS student. At least that's what our neighborhood school counselor told us!

Mine is 10th grade and taking SAT 2 in American history in May. He has 3 schools he might be interested in at this early stage, so I went ahead and made it so they will go directly there. It didn't cost me anything to do that. If he decided somewhere else, then we'll just pay to send them.

Christine