Menu

S/O buying cloth diapers- what do you use for a pail?

My cloth diapering pail recently bit the dust and I need to replace it with something else.

I'll be honest here, I'm really not "into" cloth diapering like some and while I do like CDing, it's just something I do but honestly, I have little interest in it. As long as the diapers work, I'm good with that- it's far from being an obsession for me.

That said, I need something to keep my soiled diapers in and don't know what to get. I have a busy little toddler man that I need to make sure can't get into it, so a lid that is easy for me to get off and hard for him to get off would be fantastic.

Any ideas?

ETA: If it makes any difference I use a dry pail and tend to wash every 2-3 days, so it needs to hold 24ish diapers.

I just use a flip top sterilite trash can from target. The kind where you push the top and it pops up (although that feature broke and now I just lift it.) I suppose that might not keep your little guy out of it, but mine never bothered it. I'm not "into" cloth either, so I like to keep it easy and simple. The trash can is inexpensive and oh so easy to wash out if necessary. HTH

I also dry pail and wash every 2-3 days and it isn't huge but leaves room for more.

I've never used (or heard of) a pail liner before. :o What do they do and why do I want one? I'm going to assume I don't need one since I've been doing the CD thing for 9 years... but I wouldn't be surprised to find out I've been missing some key thing all along. :tongue_smilie:

I use Planet Wise wet bags. I have two of them. One being used and one in laundry. They zip up so no kids getting into them.

A pail liner is what it sounds like. It goes in your trash can/diaper pail then when you're ready to wash diapers you pick up the liner and throw it in the washer. Instead of having to rinse out the can every time. Do able without, yes. But I didn't like liners anyways.

Ugh our dipes STUNK in a pail so I just use a Bummies XL wetbag (the yellow one) and hang it in the laundry room. Something about air circulation helps keep the funk down tremendously! ;) It also helps take an extra step out of the whole diapering process (cleaning the pail!) if you just use a hanging wetbag.

No-frills cloth CDer here, too. :)

Yep. 13 gallon trash can with pop top. I had the kind with the foot pedal that opened the lid, that was a nice touch when I had my hands full of messy diaper situation.

A liner is good, so you don't have to wash the pail. I just used a nylon laundry bag as a liner. And baking soda in the pail to keep down the funk/mildew.

I'm confused :confused:. Sorry for being so dense. :o

Do you just wash the diapers in the liner in the wash or do you dump the diapers out of the liner and then wash the liner at the same time?

I didn't find washing the pail to be that big a deal as we'd just rinse it out with a water and bleach solution once a week. That seemed to be enough. Hmmmm. Looks like I'll have to do some research into this...

This is what I have. A sprinkling of baking soda keeps odor down.

I just use a flip top sterilite trash can from target. The kind where you push the top and it pops up (although that feature broke and now I just lift it.) I suppose that might not keep your little guy out of it, but mine never bothered it. I'm not "into" cloth either, so I like to keep it easy and simple. The trash can is inexpensive and oh so easy to wash out if necessary. HTH

I also dry pail and wash every 2-3 days and it isn't huge but leaves room for more.

I cd'd my two oldest. Back then, I just used a kitchen garbage can with a lid. We used the thin disposable diaper liners for solid waste. I did diapers every 2 days, so I didn't really have a smell issue. I would toss the diapers in the wash tub, rinse the bucket with hot water from the utility sink, and a small swish of soap. I would dump that water in the tub too, and start the load.

I used the old version of the Fuzzi Bunz hanging diaper pail for five years. Here's a link to their new one.

My dh installed a kitchen sprayer on the side of our toilet. I would spray off any poop, shake out the insert into the bag, and then throw the diaper in. Then, when I was ready to laundry, I just turned the whole bag inside out into the washing machine and then threw the bag in with the diapers. It worked like a charm. I loved it. And no worries about having a wet plastic pail hanging around. I washed a load of diapers every other day though. I wouldn't let it go much longer or you would have some stink to contend with.

We use a Rubbermaid file storage box that has a snap on lid, no liner. It stinks when you open it after a couple days, but it's tolerable. It's going to start stinking more now that the older child is daytime potty trained and I can go longer between diaper washing. It can sit there for a week (like when we all had the flu and couldn't do laundry) with the lid on and no one can smell it.

The plastic parts of the lid that snap are getting a little worn down (it's been used for almost three years!), but I'm satisfied enough to replace it with the same thing.

It sits on the bathroom floor, and I've never caught the boys trying to get into it. I don't think they have enough strength to pull the snapping part up.

We used the thin disposable diaper liners for solid waste.

Oh yes, I forgot about the diaper liners. These are the BEST, especially for someone who wasn't all that crazy about using cloth diapers and dealing with poop/biohazard laundry :) . I used Kushies rice paper liners, flushable.

And re: pail liners. I took the whole bag to the washer, dumped the diapers out into the washer, then threw the liner in, too. Washing/disinfecting the pail was not a step I was willing to take. (Admittedly, I'm lazy. :))

kitchen sized trash can with a Wahmies liner

:iagree:

I have two or three of the wahmies liners. Every two or three days, I a full one down to the washer and dump all the diapers in. Then I toss the liner in too and wash with a little bleach and detergent.

Edited by weddell

I'm confused :confused:. Sorry for being so dense. :o

Do you just wash the diapers in the liner in the wash or do you dump the diapers out of the liner and then wash the liner at the same time?

I didn't find washing the pail to be that big a deal as we'd just rinse it out with a water and bleach solution once a week. That seemed to be enough. Hmmmm. Looks like I'll have to do some research into this...

I dump them out of the liner. :) If no liner works for you, then don't sweat it. I still rinse/bleach my pail periodically.

I bought a plastic "trash can" (10-13 gallon?) w/lid at Walmart. The handles on the sides snap over the lid to keep it secure. I think it was like $6 or $7 (they only had white when I bought mine, but last week I saw red, blue and some other color I can't remember). I use it as a wet pail, but only washed every 3 days or so. So it hold plenty of diapers for a couple days.