Menu

Math curriculum learning styles? help

I am new to The Well-Trained Mind and I am new to homeschooling.

I thought this would be a great place to ask for advice.

I have two boys that have been in PS since they were 3. They have been on an IEP their entire school career.

I won’t rant about how I assumed that because the PS “team†was nice and showed me dibble scores every year, they MUST be doing things right for my boys. I became aware… then I became proactive in my boys’ education. I just fired PS.

I am trying to find the best math methodology for each child. My 12 year old has Asperger’s & ADHD inattentive with a high/average IQ. He does not do well with divided attention. I was leaning toward Saxon Math. Any thoughts?

My 11 year old is ADHD combined, hyperactive dominant. He thrives with sustained and divided attention and sustained attention (TEA-Ch subtest Sky Search 15 and Score DT 16). His WISC-IV perceptual reasoning score is 133. Math is his strong suit. I think he would be bored with a spiral (& textbook) style of learning math. For him, I was leaning towards Systematic Mathematics. Is there a math curriculum that would suit him better?

Thanks in advance!

:bigear:

I've had good results using Math U See with both my kids who are total opposites. My ds has ADHD, PTSD, ODD, RAD and bipolar. He's a kinesthetic and visual learner. My dd is also not typical, but haven't had her evaluated by neuropsych. yet. She's a good auditory learner with some visual leanings. MUS is a mastery program. Steve Demme, the creator of MUS, wrote the program while educating his son who has some learning difficulties. It's a very popular math program. HTH

My dd is 18, super bright, has ADD and is a slight Aspie, among other things...

Anyway, her WISC-III score was 144 in Math and 141 in Verbal (English) So you can imagine why, starting since middle school, we have been so concerned with her terrible math grades compared to great English scores. [she scored 750+ on her Verbal SAT areas while only a lowly 540 in math]. We have always thought she was careless with her math work, but come to find out, through homeschooling, I learned she has an LD (that's another post).

In ps her strongest area was Algebra (B) and Geometry was weakest ©. Last fall we did a massive review with her using a variety of sources. You can imagine how amazed we were when she retook her SATs this past December and scored perfectly in Geometry.

I attribute this to MUS. We used MUS for review from grades 1-Geometry. Sadly, we skipped MUS Alg 1 and 2 because we tried another resource. I wish we had continued using MUS.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

I also found MUS for my son to work well, and wish I had found it sooner. I am allowing him a stint away from it because he had gotten tired of it, but some prior posts make me think we may likely return after the MUS sabbatical. MUS allows the child to move forward once something is mastered. And for my son its black and white not too much on the page format was key. We tried Saxon before MUS and for my son it was awful. Boring, repetitive, and since my son has dyslexia, way too wordy.