Menu

Help me plan math...

for my ds12 (almost 13). He hasn't had ANY consistency in math programs (my fault). We started homeschooling with K12 and he used their math for 2 years (2nd/3rd). Then we ditched the cyber school and went independent. He then used Saxon for 4th (unsuccessfully) until we switched to MUS which he did fairly well with. He got through Epsilon, I believe. For 6th he returned to ps and was subjected to the dreaded Everyday Math. :glare: He is home this year and started with Saxon 8/7 (placed into it). Tears, oh the tears. :glare: So, we ditched that and went with LoF. He is cruising through Fractions and will start Dec./Percents. I can't help thinking he is "missing" something by using LoF. Saxon was so rigorous and full. LoF seems so simple! Where do I go from here to get him ready for Alg. 1 in 9th (either at home or a ps/private school). LoF Pre-Alg.? Should I supplement? HELP! Thanks. :D

I would use Lial's Basic College Math. I know it's been talked about a lot, and it's a great book. It gives you a total math review so your child is ready for Algebra. You can also get it really cheap. I know what it's like to spend $$ and still be frustrated. HTH!

IMHO, I think you could stick with LOF if it's working for you. You have already jumped around a lot, then found something that works, so I don't think switching to something else at this point is a good idea.

I would suggest doing the workbooks with LOF for Algebra and up. If you feel that extra supplementation is necessary right now, then supplement, but don't drop something that is working for you.

LOF is a good program and covers everything. Many people feel it isn't enough as a stand-alone program though. I understand that. So, you can supplement and use LOF as your main program.

I would suggest using the Family Math book as a supplement or Mathmania, since they are more fun. Or, just get any of the math books that people on these boards like and do some extra problems from it once in a while for extra practice.

Best wishes.

I looked at the Lial's College Algebra and I don't think it would suit him, unfortunately. Too much like Saxon. But thank you for the rec. Any more? :D

Hm... I'd think Saxon (incremental, mixed problem sets, teaching tiny bits at a time), and Lial's (teaching all the steps sequentially until mastered, periodic review), would be about as far apart as you could get... the mere thought of Saxon gives me hives, but we're using Lial's successfully.

College Algebra is done after Algebra II; BCM is pre-pre-Algebra (mostly review of basic math); so they're also very different in content (but maybe it's the format you're objecting to?)

I would use Lial's Basic College Math. I know it's been talked about a lot, and it's a great book. It gives you a total math review so your child is ready for Algebra. You can also get it really cheap. I know what it's like to spend $$ and still be frustrated. HTH!

:iagree:

I already have a copy of this and plan to use it to make sure we don't have gaps in the years to come. It's excellent.

I meant College Math, not College Algebra. Sorry. I looked over some sample pages and I think that the "look" of the pages is like Saxon (just in color) not that the content is. Make sense? Clear as mud? IDK...Perhaps I'll see if I can obtain a used copy. Thanks!

Hey, I've got a copy of BCM that has the first three chapters written in but is otherwise blank... I can bring it to the conference and it's yours for free. :)

I looked at the Lial's College Algebra and I don't think it would suit him, unfortunately. Too much like Saxon. But thank you for the rec. Any more? :D

Having used Lial and Saxon, I have to say that Lial is *nothing* like Saxon. It is a mastery program, but it is so well designed that the topics build on one another and reinforce each other seamlessly. If you have only looked at Lial's College Algebra, it's important to know that the format of the lower level books, like BCM, is different from the upper level books. The Pearson Higher Ed website has samples of BCM. Take a look at the Developmental Math series. It is particularly well done.

ETA: Sorry, I should have read further down. I see you already addressed this issue.

I understand what you mean about Lials BCM. My ds would not have done well with that book just because of the layout of the book, too much stuff on a page. Maybe you could continue with LOF and add something like Keys to Fractions, Percents, Decimals, Algebra etc.

Blessings,

Pat