Menu

If you follow TWTM closely with multiple kids in grammar stage, what's your schedule?

Literary Mom

After going round and round about what to do when my third wheel (aka my wonderful son) rolls into our homeschool this fall, discovering that no packaged programs pleased me in their entirety or fit my budget, I am revisiting my original position, which was to follow The Well Trained Mind, but perhaps even more closely than we have been.

I'll have a K'er, 2nd grader, 4th grader. I'm considering using all Peace Hill Press curriculum - SOTW 4, FLL 2 & 4, WWE 2 & 4, along with CLE Math and chem/physics curriculum TBA (we have to combine that year to stay on cycle). Maybe the new Olive Branch Bible curriculum from Peace Hill, too.

...So if you use TWTM approach (including most of their materials and recommendations) with multiple children in the grammar stage, what is your schedule like?

I'm planning to combine your suggestions with the SOTW/literature schedule that's free on House of Classical Learning (thanks to a previous brainstorming thread I started where someone suggested that!).

We do history and science on the same topic based on the oldest child's cycle. In the am we do skill subjects and in the pm we do our topical studies....so, it looks like this....

Am:

LG child....math, spelling, grammar, reading lesson, copy work/ penmanship

UG child: math, spelling, grammar, reading lesson, copy work/ penmanship, Latin

Log. Child....math, spelling, vocabulary, literature lesson, copy work/dictation, Logic, Latin

PM:

History/ Geography x 3 per week

Science 2x per week

Art, music, artist study, composer study, Shakespeare, nature study, etc. 1 x per week.

Bible 5x per week

Read alouds. 1 hour before bedtime.

Just a quick look....

Hth

Faithe

ETA: I start with my youngest, do his lesson, give him an assignment....go to the next kid. I don't ever leave them on their own during this time because they will stop working and sneak off.

Edited by Mommyfaithe

We do history and science on the same topic based on the oldest child's cycle. In the am we do skill subjects and in the pm we do our topical studies....so, it looks like this....

Am:

LG child....math, spelling, grammar, reading lesson, copy work/ penmanship

UG child: math, spelling, grammar, reading lesson, copy work/ penmanship, Latin

Log. Child....math, spelling, vocabulary, literature lesson, copy work/dictation, Logic, Latin

PM:

History/ Geography x 3 per week

Science 2x per week

Art, music, artist study, composer study, Shakespeare, nature study, etc. 1 x per week.

Bible 5x per week

Read alouds. 1 hour before bedtime.

Just a quick look....

Hth

Faithe

ETA: I start with my youngest, do his lesson, give him an assignment....go to the next kid. I don't ever leave them on their own during this time because they will stop working and sneak off.

Thank you - this is quite helpful, especially since you have been doing this for so long and have kids of all ages!

I'm used to only doing school in the morning, then having lunch followed by a 2 hour quiet time (just like SWB does - that was one of my happy moments in reading WTM, since we were already doing that). Do you do QT at all? Can you estimate how many hours per day this works out to?

Thank you - this is quite helpful, especially since you have been doing this for so long and have kids of all ages!

I'm used to only doing school in the morning, then having lunch followed by a 2 hour quiet time (just like SWB does - that was one of my happy moments in reading WTM, since we were already doing that). Do you do QT at all? Can you estimate how many hours per day this works out to?

We start school at 9:30. (I work in my office in the am) We try to finish by 2. We then take a walk until about 2:30...boys and dogs need outside time! Quiet time comes between 3-5....but is not always quiet here. I usually go into my office to work for 2 hours...the kids play in the yard, or read, or play in their rooms. When I have high schoolers, this would be their room study time.

Faithe

We start school at 9:30. (I work in my office in the am) We try to finish by 2. We then take a walk until about 2:30...boys and dogs need outside time! Quiet time comes between 3-5....but is not always quiet here. I usually go into my office to work for 2 hours...the kids play in the yard, or read, or play in their rooms. When I have high schoolers, this would be their room study time.

Faithe

Thanks! We usually do ours 2-4pm but it often creeps into 3-5, esp. on homeschool park days. But I have to keep it earlier on the days we have extracurricular lessons in the late afternoon. They are each in a different room, playing quietly or reading or drawing or listening to books on CD or mellow music. I have a tendency to squander that down time on the internet but I'm hoping to curb that, so I can spend time with God, write/blog, and do a short exercise video.

I also want to structure in a walk after lunch to help with the outdoor/exercise component, so I'm thinking if we go 8:30-12:30, we can do that 1-2pm.

They're supposed to eat, get dressed, make beds, brush teeth & hair and do a chore before 9:15 (this happens sometimes). Then it goes like this:

We do the following together:

Read-aloud--Living Room

Pray

Bible reading--LR

Bible page--Dining Table

Song School Latin--LR

SOTW 2x/week (read chapter) or History of US--LR

SOTW map--DT

Then DD10 does math and everyone else does WWE--DT

Then everyone does their own math, spelling (SWO) and they read to me individually. The younger 3 kids are usually done by 12:30 or 1:00, even if we start late.

DD10 also does grammar (FLL4) and writing (CW) with me. It's up to her when this happens, if she doesn't catch me before lunch she knows she has to wait until after my break is over (around 3:30).

We do science at homeschool co-op. I haven't been able to work art in yet, or music.

We do our SOTW rotation with my oldest, who is currently in 4th. So next year we'll be doing Ancients, which is right where she and my youngest are supposed to be. The middle two are fine assimilating though. Also, the younger three are all doing WWE1--it's a little too easy for my son and a little too hard for DD6, but I'm hoping we can drag her along and she'll catch up. If not, I'll redo it with her when she's older.

It works well for us...though next year when DD10 is in 5th grade and officially logic-stage, it will complicate things a bit. Though writing and science will both be taught at co-op next year, so that frees me up a little.

Well, I could tell you how the day is supposed to go, or I could tell you how it really goes. ;)

I have a 2 yr old and he pretty much sets the bar as to how much we are able to get done.

I do history, science, and German combined with the two older boys. Ok, the toddler joins as well. Yesterday he ate dry beans during our science experiment instead of gluing them to the paper. At least he didn't eat the glue.

I get my oldest started with math and then do FLL and WWE with my 1st grader. He thens gets a break and plays with little brother. I do FLL and WWE with 4th grader. Lunch and nap (for toddler). Math with 1st grader while 4th grader does memory work and independent math. Spelling/phonics alternating boys. Then we do the combined subjects German everyday, history 2x wk, science 2x wk.

We get up 8 and go outside 8:30-9:00. We eat breakfast and do chores. We start lessons at 10. The boys have free time after 3 and that's when I do my workout. The boys practice piano at some point during the day.

They take art at co-op, but I bought Meet the Masters to try and do at home. Next year I'll have to work in Latin and Logic some how.