Menu

California Peeps!! CHSPE?

Is this the route I should be going to ensure my son has something like a diploma?

I guess I just figured I'd graduate him myself and then he would go on to community college. Now I'm wondering about this or maybe an online way but I am not sure what is out there to do that.

Any help?

My dd took this when she was first eligible (spring of sophomore year) and I'll have ds do it, too.

It meant she could enroll as a "real" student at the CC instead of dual-enrollment. This gave her registration priority (although we had to pay enrollment fees which are waived for dual-enrollment).

It also meant she didn't need a work permit when applying for a job.

If you're not interested in those 2 things, I don't think it's necessary. If you file your own affidavit, then you are OK to issue a diploma.

Yep, what she said!

I want to have my ds take it for the freedom of taking college courses for dual credit, without the hassle. Not having to get a work permit is a nice plus as well. But I am also planning to have him finish out his high school with a diploma. My understanding is that some kids just get the CHSPE and don't worry about a hs diploma. I won't both! :D

My ds took the CHSPE last fall so he could attend community college full time. Problem is getting into classes -- everything he wanted was full. He successfully crashed 1 course last fall and 2 courses spring semester, but couldn't get into anything else he wanted. We're waiting to see what they are offering for summer school as rumor has it they will be offering half of what they offered last year. The San Diego CCs have cancelled summer school altogether except for the few students ready to graduate.

My ds took the CHSPE last fall so he could attend community college full time. Problem is getting into classes -- everything he wanted was full. He successfully crashed 1 course last fall and 2 courses spring semester, but couldn't get into anything else he wanted. We're waiting to see what they are offering for summer school as rumor has it they will be offering half of what they offered last year. The San Diego CCs have cancelled summer school altogether except for the few students ready to graduate.

If you live where this applies, the approx. $90 to take the test may be a gamble. Also watch the CHSPE testing schedule; it's not offered every month and it takes awhile to get scores.

My dd took this when she was first eligible (spring of sophomore year) and I'll have ds do it, too.

It meant she could enroll as a "real" student at the CC instead of dual-enrollment. This gave her registration priority (although we had to pay enrollment fees which are waived for dual-enrollment).

It also meant she didn't need a work permit when applying for a job.

If you're not interested in those 2 things, I don't think it's necessary. If you file your own affidavit, then you are OK to issue a diploma.

Those two things might actually be very helpful!

I keep getting mixed messages about issuing a diploma myself because I'm not accredited. So I just started to have a panic attack that I wasn't prepared enough.

Yep, what she said!

I want to have my ds take it for the freedom of taking college courses for dual credit, without the hassle. Not having to get a work permit is a nice plus as well. But I am also planning to have him finish out his high school with a diploma. My understanding is that some kids just get the CHSPE and don't worry about a hs diploma. I won't both! :D

Thanks!

I hadn't planned on graduating him yet since he's only in 10th but the work permit was exciting to him since he keeps bugging about it to get a job this summer.

What I am hearing on email loops now is that some community colleges are canceling dual enrollment programs due to budget cuts. Others that used to waive fees for high school students are now charging. Therefore, the CHSPE could be more to the student's advantage than before.

I had ds take it this spring as it will eliminate the work permit issue for his summer job and let him start accumulating credit (and let me out of extra paperwork) for CC classes.

I keep hearing that as well so I was thinking it might really benefit him getting the classes we were hoping he would take for 11th and 12th grades.

I've been thinking about having my son take the CHSPE to simplify CC enrollment, but I wasn't clear about some things. I think I've figured out that the student is NOT considered a high-school graduate until *you* (the parent) issue a diploma. But ... if the student enrolls at CC as a "regular" student, would s/he be considered a full-time or degree-seeking student? :confused: (I'm still figuring out how this all works!) In which case, could his/her CC classes still be considered high-school classes for your transcript? IOW, I would still like to consider them dual-enrolled, even if the CC doesn't.

I've heard conflicting things about maintaining freshman status. After my kids graduate from high school, I want them to be able to apply to and start at a four-year university as freshmen, even if they already have some CC credit that the uni may or may not recognize.

Also, from the CC's point of view, if my son takes a CC class or two one semester, and then decides not to take any classes the following semester, would there be a problem re-enrolling at the same CC after that for the next semester? IOW, if he *is* considered full-time or degree-seeking or whatever, and then takes these breaks, wouldn't that look funny? :confused:

I may be looking at this all wrong, so I would appreciate any advice people have! Thanks.

~Laura

If you live where this applies, the approx. $90 to take the test may be a gamble. Also watch the CHSPE testing schedule; it's not offered every month and it takes awhile to get scores.

I was surprised it cost so much!

I'm thinking he would take it in Sept so gives me some time.

Thanks!

I have been so worried about this but whenever I ask the people I know who have kids at our local college they are saying it's not a problem. But maybe that was before it's gotten so tight in CA.

Does he need to know geometry to take the test? He is just finishing up algebra so was just curious.

Being enrolled in the CC would only make you a degree-seeking student in the CC's eyes, not in anyone else's eyes. I have heard this even from CC administration that it is OK to tell the CC you are a full-time college student, yet still be enrolled in high school. The reason the CC cares is that the money comes from a different pocket, so to speak, depending on whether the student is a dual-enrolled high school student [in which case they get K-12 money from the state] or college student. So it's for accounting purposes, not transcript purposes.

So yes, any university will consider them freshman applicants if that is what you want. I would put the college classes on the high school transcript to show that your student earned high school credit for those classes (in addition to also showing an official college transcript to authenticate the grade received).

Generally CC's don't have a problem w/ students "skipping" a semester; you don't have to re-enroll. However, the student may not get as high priority registration.

DH teaches at the CC and my kids have been there for about 3 years so if you have more specific questions please ask, although there is some variance from school to school.

Being enrolled in the CC would only make you a degree-seeking student in the CC's eyes, not in anyone else's eyes. I have heard this even from CC administration that it is OK to tell the CC you are a full-time college student, yet still be enrolled in high school. The reason the CC cares is that the money comes from a different pocket, so to speak, depending on whether the student is a dual-enrolled high school student [in which case they get K-12 money from the state] or college student. So it's for accounting purposes, not transcript purposes.

So yes, any university will consider them freshman applicants if that is what you want. I would put the college classes on the high school transcript to show that your student earned high school credit for those classes (in addition to also showing an official college transcript to authenticate the grade received).

This is really interesting, Jenn, as I had never heard that. I was just talking with someone in admissions in an out of state LAC who said my son would have to apply as a transfer student. Hmmm. It opens up some possibilities.

Is it disingenuous to apply as an entering freshman if you've had the CHSPE certificate for a while and attended a CC for several semesters?

Can you still be registered as an R-4 student if you have the CHSPE??

This has been rolling around in my head for over a week now as the budget news and the canceled summer session freaked me out. I felt we had gambled and lost, that my ds will never get the general ed classes he would need to transfer. But, if his CC courses count instead as finishing up his high school transcript, suddenly things look a whole lot brighter!!

We're visiting colleges next week, out of state. I'll have to see if I can talk to some admissions folk in person to see what they would want.

I have been so worried about this but whenever I ask the people I know who have kids at our local college they are saying it's not a problem. But maybe that was before it's gotten so tight in CA.

Hi. :D Just so you know, I'm getting mixed feedback about the local cc's around here. Some people I know are saying not a problem, some people are saying they couldn't get in. I think it really depends on the classes. DD has her counseling appointment tomorrow for dual enrollment and when I called the counseling office, the lady I spoke to actually laughed and told me we'd be luck if dd gets into anything. At this point she doesn't need the credits to meet high school requirments, she just wants to get a jump on her degree. If dd didn't want to play her last year on Varsity and have to go through the charter to do it, I would have her take the CHSPE and get her in as a regular student. I STRONGLY suggest you call the cc where you think he might go though, just so you can get the specifics.

Yep, what she said!

But if your ds takes the CHSPE and passes, why wouldn't you issue a diploma?? Many of the classes that are done in "high school" are repeated as lower division classes in college, which he would take at the c.c. Why should he have to do them twice? If he transfers to a California State or UC, neither will care about his high school transcript. Most private colleges won't care, either, if he applies with a truckload of c.c. credits.

Ah, this makes sense! Thanks for explaining.

Generally CC's don't have a problem w/ students "skipping" a semester; you don't have to re-enroll. However, the student may not get as high priority registration.

OK, this rings a bell! There are different registration dates for "continuing students" and "returning (former) students" (a few weeks later) ... and concurrent enrollment students much later.

Thanks for all the info! It really is helping me get it sorted out :001_smile:

~Laura

Hi. :D Just so you know, I'm getting mixed feedback about the local cc's around here. Some people I know are saying not a problem, some people are saying they couldn't get in. I think it really depends on the classes. DD has her counseling appointment tomorrow for dual enrollment and when I called the counseling office, the lady I spoke to actually laughed and told me we'd be luck if dd gets into anything. At this point she doesn't need the credits to meet high school requirments, she just wants to get a jump on her degree. If dd didn't want to play her last year on Varsity and have to go through the charter to do it, I would have her take the CHSPE and get her in as a regular student. I STRONGLY suggest you call the cc where you think he might go though, just so you can get the specifics.

Every community college makes its own rules. :glare: Often it works best to go to the c.c. in person and keep asking questions until you get a definitive answer. Mary Harrington, co-author of Latin in the Chrisitan Trivium, spent half the day going back and forth between Administration and the office where her dd would actually enroll, because people in each location gave her a different answer about whether her 14yo dd could enroll or not. Turns out that this specific c.c. allowed students under 18 to enroll as full-time students, not dual-enrolled students, and earn college credit (not all c.c.'s give *college credit* for classes taken by dual-enrolled students). Her dd started in the fall semester; mine started in the spring (mine was 13, had her 14th bday in class).

Every community college makes its own rules. :glare: Often it works best to go to the c.c. in person and keep asking questions until you get a definitive answer.

Yes, we've found this to be true - of the 3 CCs closest to us, 2 of them are very dual-enrollment friendly, making it easy for a student to enroll as long as you're qualified for that class. The third CC makes it really hard to dual-enroll - you have to pass the math & English proficiency tests to enroll in ANY classes, even those that don't require math or English "skills". I've been told the test is hard and that most regular CC students couldn't pass them (they don't have to!).

Of course all bets are off now b/c of the budget problems. Mt San Antonio College, for example, has the following on their website:

"Due to the current Budget situation, the Special Admit Program will be suspended until our current economic situation improves.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but there will be no concurrent enrollment for K-12th grade students for the Summer 2011, Fall 2011 and Spring 2012 terms."

I don't think it's disingenuous. We do R-4 w/CHSPE. Even Visions, my local charter school (tried it for 6 wks and bailed), lets you stay in their public high school if you've passed the CHSPE. You have to put in a special request to graduate early if that's what you want to do.

As far as out of state classes go, the thing is that you show them what you want to show them. The CHSPE doesn't show up on any other records such as college transcript.

[On a side note, my son's unofficial transcript does say "high school graduate" on it. But really that is verified by the receipt of a diploma which he does not have.]

The CHSPE is accepted as equivalent to a diploma but it IS NOT a diploma which is why you can have it both ways.

Yeah, this is pretty much the worst time to be trying to get into state college classes, but that is God's timing for our kids so we'll see what happens.

As far as dual-enrolled goes, if my son were applying somewhere where he wanted to be a freshman, his college English class that he took in 10th grade, for ex., would just be on his high school transcript as English 10, altho I would send the college transcript to show where he took it and the official grade.

Here is a reason to want it both ways.

* Say my son has 45 cc units upon high school graduation but wants to apply to a college honors program that you can only apply to as a freshman. He would apply as a freshman, and once he is accepted his cc transcript would apply and then he would get the credits. He wouldn't have to repeat any classes. He would be a sophomore after he is admitted.

* There are other schools and scholarships which can be beneficial to apply to as a freshman.

It is nice to leave the options open.

But if your ds takes the CHSPE and passes, why wouldn't you issue a diploma?? Many of the classes that are done in "high school" are repeated as lower division classes in college, which he would take at the c.c. Why should he have to do them twice? If he transfers to a California State or UC, neither will care about his high school transcript. Most private colleges won't care, either, if he applies with a truckload of c.c. credits.

Good question! ;) And I honestly don't have a good answer?? I just worry, I guess. I know when my oldest DS wanted to go into the Sheriff's Dept a few years ago, they would not accept his umbrella-school, not mom-issued, diploma, and couldn't care less about his SAT scores, so he had to take the GED...which he passed with flying colors (and this is a child with LDs). I also hear stories about the military and how picky they can be, and how some out of state employers will not accept the CHSPE as a diploma. I guess I just want to cover all my bases somehow. But, haven't btdt yet, so who knows how I'll feel if/when he takes it and if/when he passes it.

I DO know that our local cc is awful, awful, awful hard to get into classes. It's jam-packed. My older two have to scramble to get their classes and quite often, they don't. Oldest ds had to take an entire Fall Semester off because he could not get into a single class. Not even one. He was there for a week trying to crash classes and didn't get in. It's bad. Not to mention frustrating. So, even if youngest ds does take the CHSPE and I issue him a diploma, it could mean zero schooling happening unless I continue high school at home. If he can get classes at the cc, great, he'll get highschool and college credit. If not, then he'll be home learning something. ;)

My understanding about our local cc is that dual-enrolled students get last priority, and any classes they take must be transferable...meaning they must take college level credited classes and are not allowed to take any of the pass/fail ones. If it is indeed true about the last priority status, there is no chance of ds getting into anything. He'd have to take the CHSPE to get any type of priority registration.

Yes, we've found this to be true - of the 3 CCs closest to us, 2 of them are very dual-enrollment friendly, making it easy for a student to enroll as long as you're qualified for that class. The third CC makes it really hard to dual-enroll - you have to pass the math & English proficiency tests to enroll in ANY classes, even those that don't require math or English "skills". I've been told the test is hard and that most regular CC students couldn't pass them (they don't have to!).

Usually, it isn't a math and English *proficiency* test. It's a *placement* test. It is assumed that a student who cannot place into college-level English would have difficulty with the reading and writing required for, say, a college-level history. The math placement would be to determine if the student can go into algebra (or above) or if he must take basic arithmetic first. I don't have a problem with the placement tests. :-)

Of course all bets are off now b/c of the budget problems. Mt San Antonio College, for example, has the following on their website:

"Due to the current Budget situation, the Special Admit Program will be suspended until our current economic situation improves.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but there will be no concurrent enrollment for K-12th grade students for the Summer 2011, Fall 2011 and Spring 2012 terms."

We didn't try for dual-enrollment. We went for college enrollment. We had to pay tuition, but since we didn't need high school credit, and the classes were the same for both dual-enrollment and college credit, we didn't see the point of dual-enrollment.

Good question! ;) And I honestly don't have a good answer?? I just worry, I guess. I know when my oldest DS wanted to go into the Sheriff's Dept a few years ago, they would not accept his umbrella-school, not mom-issued, diploma, and couldn't care less about his SAT scores, so he had to take the GED...which he passed with flying colors (and this is a child with LDs). I also hear stories about the military and how picky they can be, and how some out of state employers will not accept the CHSPE as a diploma. I guess I just want to cover all my bases somehow. But, haven't btdt yet, so who knows how I'll feel if/when he takes it and if/when he passes it.

And yet one of the students in the umbrella school I owned in California was accepted into the Sherrif's Dept. with no problems. Go figure.

The CHSPE is considered to be the equivalent of a high school dipoma...in California. However, if my dc had taken the CHSPE (which they didn't) I would have issued a diploma. If they had applied for college (or a job) outside of California, they would have had a diploma. Also, a student who passes the CHSPE would say "yes" if asked if he'd graduated from high school, and he'd use the name of the school he was enrolled in--either the one his parents established when they filed their own affidavit, or the PSP he'd been enrolled with (unless the PSP was snarky about it) (and all of this is gobbledygook to non-Californians :lol:).

I DO know that our local cc is awful, awful, awful hard to get into classes. It's jam-packed. My older two have to scramble to get their classes and quite often, they don't. Oldest ds had to take an entire Fall Semester off because he could not get into a single class. Not even one. He was there for a week trying to crash classes and didn't get in. It's bad. Not to mention frustrating. So, even if youngest ds does take the CHSPE and I issue him a diploma, it could mean zero schooling happening unless I continue high school at home. If he can get classes at the cc, great, he'll get highschool and college credit. If not, then he'll be home learning something. ;)

I feel your pain. It's always difficult for newbies to get into college classes, worse for dual-enrolled. I've heard many horror stories like yours. It is why I urge parents to push to enroll their dc as college students, not dual-enrolled students. They still have to work hard to get in at first, but less hard than dual-enrolled students.

My understanding about our local cc is that dual-enrolled students get last priority, and any classes they take must be transferable...meaning they must take college level credited classes and are not allowed to take any of the pass/fail ones. If it is indeed true about the last priority status, there is no chance of ds getting into anything. He'd have to take the CHSPE to get any type of priority registration.

Or try enrolling as a college student, not dual-enrolled. You could graduate him without the CHSPE and try that.

I feel your pain. It's always difficult for newbies to get into college classes, worse for dual-enrolled. I've heard many horror stories like yours. It is why I urge parents to push to enroll their dc as college students, not dual-enrolled students. They still have to work hard to get in at first, but less hard than dual-enrolled students.

Oldest ds had been a student at the college for two years already when this happened. He wasn't a newbie at all, and STILL got a cruddy registration date. It was very frustrating. I was told that they do a type of registration lottery. It made no sense to me, but there wasn't a thing we could do about it. The following Spring he had a fabulous registration date and got into every class he wanted. It's like a hit and miss education.

I'm encouraging youngest ds to excel in high school. Work hard. Get top grades. Get an excellent SAT score, and then maybe, just maybe, he'll get a scholarship of some kind that will help us afford to pay for college, skipping the tortures of the cc. BUT, I would like him to have some cc classes on his transcript, along with that excellent SAT score, and GPA. :D

Ah, the plans of mice and men...

I DO know that our local cc is awful, awful, awful hard to get into classes. It's jam-packed. My older two have to scramble to get their classes and quite often, they don't. Oldest ds had to take an entire Fall Semester off because he could not get into a single class. Not even one. He was there for a week trying to crash classes and didn't get in. It's bad. Not to mention frustrating.

And I have a feeling it will just keep getting worse. I just read that the CSU system will enroll 10,000 fewer students next year (2.4% of the total, I think). Where are those 10,000 kids going to go? Some may go out of state, join the military, get a job, etc., but a LOT will trickle down to the already-overcrowded CCs.

My dad taught linear algebra at our local CC not more than 12 years ago, and he had only 6 or 8 kids in his class. I think those days are over ... unfortunately. (Side note: there is only one section of linear algebra at our CC, and *16* sections of pre-algebra this semester alone. Pre-algebra?? :confused:)

Oh, and I'm sure everyone's heard that the UCs may *double* tuition from $12k to $25k. Worst-case scenario, yes, but the UCs are already enrolling more out-of-staters and foreigners who pay full price, causing trickle-down to the CSUs, and then to the CCs ... Anyway, I am very grateful for the Internet! My son would prefer "live," in-person classes, but at least I am not freaking out about overcrowding at our CC, since my son can have tutors across the country!

Our local CC has proposed having dual-enrollment students register mere days before classes start. Right now high-school kids register just a few weeks after "regular" students. I don't know how other CCs handle this, but until now this has meant that, except for certain classes such as chemistry labs, an organized high-school kid had a pretty good chance of registering for the class he wanted. There will be no way, if it's just a few days before classes start. And of course, this new policy will start (if it's approved, and I imagine it will be) Spring Semester 2012, exactly the time I will want to enroll ds14 in multivariable calculus. So ... I'm working on Plan B and Plan C, because CC math is no longer the sure thing it was.

~Laura

(Side note: there is only one section of linear algebra at our CC, and *16* sections of pre-algebra this semester alone. Pre-algebra?? :confused:)

Oh, and I'm sure everyone's heard that the UCs may *double* tuition from $12k to $25k. Worst-case scenario, yes, but the UCs are already enrolling more out-of-staters and foreigners who pay full price,

Don't get me started about all the pre-algebra classes and not enough transfer-level classes. Grrrrr.

Here's an idea: move out of state and then apply to UC. Our kids would have a better chance of getting accepted.

Between that and UC's not accepting homeschool transcripts (other than UCR), it gives me all the more reason to hate my alma mater, UCLA.

And I have a feeling it will just keep getting worse. I just read that the CSU system will enroll 10,000 fewer students next year (2.4% of the total, I think). Where are those 10,000 kids going to go? Some may go out of state, join the military, get a job, etc., but a LOT will trickle down to the already-overcrowded CCs.

My dad taught linear algebra at our local CC not more than 12 years ago, and he had only 6 or 8 kids in his class. I think those days are over ... unfortunately. (Side note: there is only one section of linear algebra at our CC, and *16* sections of pre-algebra this semester alone. Pre-algebra?? :confused:)

Oh, and I'm sure everyone's heard that the UCs may *double* tuition from $12k to $25k. Worst-case scenario, yes, but the UCs are already enrolling more out-of-staters and foreigners who pay full price, causing trickle-down to the CSUs, and then to the CCs ... Anyway, I am very grateful for the Internet! My son would prefer "live," in-person classes, but at least I am not freaking out about overcrowding at our CC, since my son can have tutors across the country!

Our local CC has proposed having dual-enrollment students register mere days before classes start. Right now high-school kids register just a few weeks after "regular" students. I don't know how other CCs handle this, but until now this has meant that, except for certain classes such as chemistry labs, an organized high-school kid had a pretty good chance of registering for the class he wanted. There will be no way, if it's just a few days before classes start. And of course, this new policy will start (if it's approved, and I imagine it will be) Spring Semester 2012, exactly the time I will want to enroll ds14 in multivariable calculus. So ... I'm working on Plan B and Plan C, because CC math is no longer the sure thing it was.

~Laura

I'd love to hear your Plan B and Plan C. :D

I suppose I'll need to think about (look into) online colleges.

I don't get all the pass/fail level classes at our cc either! Seems to me there should be some type of transitional school available to learn those subjects before college instead of filling up the cc with them...oh wait, that's what high school is suppose to be! Ha! :lol:

I'd love to hear your Plan B and Plan C. :D

Nothing very original ... Plan B (or is it Plan C? I keep waffling!) is to look for a private tutor to guide my son through post-AP math (pro: if I can find just the right tutor, it will be the optimal learning environment; con: no external validation of his learning). Plan C is to take these courses through an outfit such as EPGY or CTY (pros: he'll get a grade; syllabus provided; cons: $$$ -- although a private tutor would add up quickly too; & I've heard the quality varies greatly depending on who the teacher is).

I suppose I'll need to think about (look into) online colleges.

Maybe that will be my Plan D :confused:

I don't get all the pass/fail level classes at our cc either! Seems to me there should be some type of transitional school available to learn those subjects before college instead of filling up the cc with them...oh wait, that's what high school is suppose to be! Ha! :lol:

:lol:

Edited by Laura in CA