Menu

Would this be a bad idea?

Hunter's Moon

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. A while ago, I decided I wanted to be a History or Religions major. I decided to think of a major that was more promising and put that to the back of my mind. So, I came up with biochemist/biotechnologist.

While I know I would love being a lab technician, those would be 4 really hard years. Not to mention the fact that I'd have to take 2 years worth of AP science my Senior Year.

So, I went back to the original idea of History or Religions but came up with a backup plan. Phlebotomy. I would apply to the schools I wanted for either a History or Religions degree, and then I would apply for a gap year. Within that gap year, I would take a certified course to become a phlebotomist and then attend school the next Fall to get my History or Religions degree.

I enjoy both History and Religions, but I know they really aren't too practical. I have no problem with blood and wanted to be a lab tech., so Phlebotomy seems like a good compromise and a way to make sure I could always get a job.

There are two programs in my area (and possibly more) that both have accredited Phlebotomy programs that take about 12 weeks.

Does this seem like a good, reasonable idea?

Edited by BeatleMania
Spelling

I don't have an answer for you, but I'll say my husband has a M-DIV and works for a seasonal landscape company. It is bad.

Well, if I pursued Religions, I was thinking more Comparative Religions, not just Christianity and possibly pursuing a Master's Degree to get a job at a History museum?

Another option I have (which may be better) is take the gap year and become a Phlebotomist and then go to school for 2 years to become a Medical Lab Technician.

This would allow me to take two years to finish PreCalc instead of one because all the colleges I looked into for Biochem./Biotech. prefer to see Calculus while the programs around here for Medical Lab Tech. only require Algebra II or higher.

If I finish PreCalc early, I can take Calc. at the community college in the Spring, but I don't want to rush it and am not sure if I'll have that time. I started Lial's PreCalc. late (I was using MUS) and am having trouble understanding and retaining. To finish in time for Senior Year, I would need to do 3 sections/week which just isn't working for me. It is too much.

I think this may be a better option. Ideas?

Not to mention the fact that I'd have to take 2 years worth of AP science my Senior Year.

Why would you have to do this????

If you have need four years of science, they do not need to be AP. You can earn college credit for sciences when you are in college.

So, I would not count THIS as a reason not to do what you are interested in.

all the colleges I looked into for Biochem./Biotech. prefer to see Calculus

They may like to see it on a transcript - but most universities prefer their students to take calculus THERE. Most of our science majors are taking calc 1 here at the university. It is certainly nice to have had calc in high school, but it is not a deal breaker.

Edited by regentrude

Why would you have to do this????

If you have need four years of science, they do not need to be AP. You can earn college credit for sciences when you are in college.

So, I would not count THIS as a reason not to do what you are interested in.

They may like to see it on a transcript - but most universities prefer their students to take calculus THERE. Most of our science majors are taking calc 1 here at the university. It is certainly nice to have had calc in high school, but it is not a deal breaker.

I will have 5 years of Science if I take two my Senior Year, but I don't know which one I would need so I figured Physics and Chemistry would help me. I have a very weak Physics background.

Also, I don't know how well the colleges around here would take seeing only 3 math courses. Even if I was able to fit Calc. in in the Spring of my Senior Year, that will only be on the final transcript, not the one I send in for admissions. Would that be enough?

Also, I don't know how well the colleges around here would take seeing only 3 math courses. Even if I was able to fit Calc. in in the Spring of my Senior Year, that will only be on the final transcript, not the one I send in for admissions. Would that be enough?

The standard thing is to have one math course per year of high school. So any typical senior who is applying for college would have three completed courses showing on his high school transcript (9th, 10th and 11th grade), plus one more course in process for senior year - unless it is a particularly advanced student who has been doubling up on math or puts math credit from 8th grade on the transcript.

I am pretty sure that is what colleges are used to seeing. Now, an admission requirement of having four math courses would apply to your complete high school education - one of those would typically be taken during senior year.

I have a degree in Religious Studies. It was my 5th major. Even though it can seem like a worthless degree on the surface, I decided to go for it b/c it was the subject that truly interested me. It was also the one subject I was least likely to skip classes for. Since I was paying for school myself, I figured I should get my money's worth, so to speak.

In terms of what you can do with a degree like this - you can do the teacher/historian/archivist route, but it would also be helpful for federal careers w/the State Dept or w/DHS. I think one of the big reasons I was hired as an Immigration Officer for DHS was b/c of my degree. You interact with a wide variety of people and cultures in that job.

I don't know exactly where I'm trying to go with this other than to say, don't write off a dream b/c it doesn't seem like it would be profitable.

I have a degree in Religious Studies. It was my 5th major. Even though it can seem like a worthless degree on the surface, I decided to go for it b/c it was the subject that truly interested me. It was also the one subject I was least likely to skip classes for. Since I was paying for school myself, I figured I should get my money's worth, so to speak.

In terms of what you can do with a degree like this - you can do the teacher/historian/archivist route, but it would also be helpful for federal careers w/the State Dept or w/DHS. I think one of the big reasons I was hired as an Immigration Officer for DHS was b/c of my degree. You interact with a wide variety of people and cultures in that job.

I don't know exactly where I'm trying to go with this other than to say, don't write off a dream b/c it doesn't seem like it would be profitable.

:iagree::iagree:

Don't limit yourself because of courses you may not currently have. We have physics majors entering all the time without calculus. And bio majors who have only gone through Pre-calc or even less.

Don't forget that most colleges teach pre-calc courses. There's a reason why they have them. Lots of students are in the same boat with you.

You most definitely do NOT need AP science in high school. It's nice. It can be a good background and look good to selective college admissions offices, but it's not necessary. The best thing you can do in college is lay a good groundwork. If that includes AP science, fine, but if you don't quite get there, that's ok too.

There's a reason why colleges teach freshman chem, physics, and biology. Most students do not place out of those class. And even students who take the AP tests and score 5 in those areas don't always get out of taking those freshman science classes.

Also, you can go in to college undecided and take the courses for both religion and science. At the least, they will probably fulfill the general ed requirements.

However, if you can do the phlebotomy course quickly, that might be a nice job to have while you work on another degree in college. It will probably pay better than serving coffee.

There's a reason why colleges teach freshman chem, physics, and biology. Most students do not place out of those class. And even students who take the AP tests and score 5 in those areas don't always get out of taking those freshman science classes.

I entered college with a 4 on the AP Chem exam. They offered me the choice of either skipping one QUARTER of freshman chemistry or opting into honors freshman chem. I opted for honors, and was very glad that I did. We had a smaller class, and better labs, and didn't have to take a separate quantitative analysis class.

My AP Chem class was great, but not even remotely comparable to that freshman class, even though it was really, really hard. OTOH, there was some material I learned in AP chem that I didn't run across again until I took Advanced Inorganic Chemistry as a junior, a class that only chem and chem E. majors ever took.

Nor would it always be advisable - because even for a student with a good score on the AP exam, the university course may cover more material or be in greater depth than what they did to prepare for the test.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts!

When I posted I was having a freak out moment.

I do still plan to take a gap year to pursue certification as a Phlebotomist. Even if I'm not able to hold down a job while in college depending on hours, it will be nice to have that one added thing for a resume right out of college. Also, I volunteer at a hospital pharmacy so they've said I might be able to get a foot in there when I get certification.

I contacted the Science director of my top college and asked which Science they would prefer to see for Senior Year. I'm leaning toward Advanced Chem. Also, I'm signing up for a dual enrollment Anat. and Phys. course for the summer so that would be another Science course I could add without doing them simultaneously.

As for Calculus, I'm hoping to finish by the Fall, and I should with the schedule I've laid out. I might even be prepared to take Calc. at the CC in the Fall, so that would be nice.

I appreciate the thoughts!