Menu

MFW Mamas - Will you talk with me??

abrightmom

This is our first year with HOD, and my kids are still pretty young, but we do not feel detached at all using HOD. All my kids are very close, and get to play and interact with each other all day. In fact right now my ds is doing a math test right next to me while my girls are building puzzles together. I also make a point daily to have all my kids learning some together with things like Art, music, Spanish, Latin, state study, president study, drawing, grammar rock(they love this), mad libs, etc. They even join together for some of their HOD projects. My ds loves joining in on dd's little hearts projects. I do try to keep dd out of ds Beyond projects some because she will be doing it next year. If they had a bigger gap I wouldn't worry about it at all. Right now our days just feel very smooth, and we all enjoy it for the most part. I showed my dh MFW, and TOG, but he really did not like the idea of me combining such a wide age range, and repeating guides. I'm starting to agree with him since my oldest will be in 6th grade when my youngest starts K. I just can not imagine any curriculum that would fully meet both a 6th graders, and a K's needs. In the end I feel I would be doing just as much work trying to make one thing fit all of those ages at once. Also I personally am just drawn more to HOD's book choices, and feel it fits in much better with my idea of CM. Anyways these are just my thoughts, and I'm sure MFW works beautifully for many people.

Katrina,

I am so sorry that you are still struggling with this decision. I know from experience how hard it can be. While I am enjoying MFW, I still look through the HOD catalog lovingly. But, MFW is SSSOOOOOO working for us. You know all about it after all of our pms.

I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that Streams is not actually meant to be read aloud to younger children. You read it and summarize it to them. It only takes me five minutes to read it. I would lose them if I tried to read it aloud to them though.

I showed my dh MFW, and TOG, but he really did not like the idea of me combining such a wide age range, and repeating guides. I'm starting to agree with him since my oldest will be in 6th grade when my youngest starts K. I just can not imagine any curriculum that would fully meet both a 6th graders, and a K's needs.

Thanks for your input and for sharing your HOD experience. Your blog is GREAT, by the way. I had to take a peek :D. MFW actually doesn't TECHNICALLY combine kids K and up....it's usually the 2nd (or maybe 3rd) grader that folds in to the "family cycle".

I agree with you on combining such a range and that isn't what I am shooting for here. My oldest 3 kids, much like yours, are only 3.5 years apart (exactly). Right now, that is a fairly wide spread developmentally and interest wise. But, when my daughter (she's just 5 now) is in 2nd grade and her brothers are 3rd and 5th grade that is when something like MFW can really shine. My youngest kiddo, whether or not he stays the youngest remains to be seen:D, will be my HOD guy at this point because he's in a learning group all his own. He's too far removed age wise from the next kid up and may be the baby of the family....

HOD would likely work great here for two years....the guides are simpler, the kids young enough to have time to blend into one another's studies. But when the oldest hits about CTC and they're much more independent then there is FAR LESS time to have that freedom to move among one another's guides. I have read that multiple times on the HOD board. It was recommended in several places that a key to success is to keep each kiddo focused on his or her guide, otherwise the days get too long and boxes don't get completed. HOD is quite full in those later guides!!! Those kinds of admonitions, though wise when using HOD, raised red flags for me. It's hard for me to IMAGINE (experience could be so different and maybe this won't matter a bit) my kids not wanting to do things together.....I can see my oldest painting or working on a history project and the other kids wanting "in". Then I have to say, "Hey guys, sorry, you don't have time for this. You need to do that." Or, vice versa. Oldest son is busy with his guide (he is also highly social, distractible and curious) and sees or hears the other kiddos doing a project or science activity. Of course he's going to want to engage but Mom has to say, "Sorry kiddo, you need to stay on task with your work." My oldest is my most socially "needy"; loves to talk; doesn't want to miss out; game for most anything; etc. I keep thinking about him and worrying that he will be more isolated than we're comfortable with (even though, during that time he'd be learning the HOD way....:001_smile:).

Now, I realize it's a good thing to train the kids to work independently, to stay on task, that they won't always get to do the exact same things, etc. I am not advocating a child run home or anything here. But, I AM imagining one of my home school ideals (togetherness) becoming difficult to implement when I have to keep the kids apart day to day (and I WILL have to do that knowing my oldest son).

***In the end, we have to make and live with our decisions. We'll have to choose one or the other and accept the "consequences". I'm working on that list today....."If I choose HOD, then....." "If I choose MFW, then....." That will help me to see the worst that can happen:D.

It is helpful to discuss; to hear testimonies; to hear ideas on both sides; to ask questions. I think that Mama (the teacher) is the key....I see so many wise Moms taking a variety of different curricula and using it to make their home schools excellent!! My biggest hurdle is not curricula choosing but me....my own fears, insecurities, inadequacies, lack of knowledge, lack of confidence, etc. Home schooling is very humbling!

Katrina,

I am so sorry that you are still struggling with this decision. I know from experience how hard it can be. While I am enjoying MFW, I still look through the HOD catalog lovingly. But, MFW is SSSOOOOOO working for us. You know all about it after all of our pms.

I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that Streams is not actually meant to be read aloud to younger children. You read it and summarize it to them. It only takes me five minutes to read it. I would lose them if I tried to read it aloud to them though.

Sandi,

You have been so kind to me in answering so many questions. Thanks. I know you understand....HOD is amazing. I see my oldest being like your oldest....struggling on his own and LOVING (and wanting) to be together.

How does your 5th grader handle Streams? I can see why Marie chose it. I am reading it today. But, golly gee whiz, it's not fun to LOOK at or anything. I may have a really old edition so I guess I'll need to compare it to the newer ones....

How is the science with CTG? :001_smile:

Sandi,

You have been so kind to me in answering so many questions. Thanks. I know you understand....HOD is amazing. I see my oldest being like your oldest....struggling on his own and LOVING (and wanting) to be together.

How does your 5th grader handle Streams? I can see why Marie chose it. I am reading it today. But, golly gee whiz, it's not fun to LOOK at or anything. I may have a really old edition so I guess I'll need to compare it to the newer ones....

How is the science with CTG? :001_smile:

Like I said, I just read Streams ahead of time and summarize it to all of the kids. I think streams is actually a high school level text, so this works for all three. I think that his eyes would glaze over if I had him read it independently. For more depth, I have my 5th grader read some extra material for his book basket/reading parts of the MFW schedule. Some of those selections come from the book basket list, some from HOD's reading titles, and I scheduled CHOW in where it fits with MFW. Some momma's told me that CHOW would be too much to add. I think if would if I were trying to read it to everyone, but it turns out to be a 3-5 page chapter here and there for a 5ht grader to read on his own. It doesn't take him too long and I make sure not to overload him with other reading on those days. Plus, he really likes CHOW. This just shows how flexible MFW can be.

I find science in CtG to be light. It is fine for the younger two, so I just make sure to have plenty of books on the subject we are studying in the book basket for my oldest. I am also about to start having him do a lab sheet when we do experiments.

Thanks Sandi...We like CHOW here....my kids liked it so well and it grew on me. I appreciate your input on the science .... My oldest would only be in 4th when we do CTG (if we do). Science is actually fun to "beef up" because there are so many wonderful choices.

I realize that K, and 1st have their own guides for MFW(both of which do not appeal to me). Like I said though my youngest would be in 2nd when he would join a MFW rotation, and my oldest in 8th. I just do not see how I could combine 2nd-8th grades. To me that seems like a lot of work to make it age appropriate for all without feeling like some one is getting drug along, or someone isn't being challenged. Like I said that is all just a matter of preference. Right now I just tell my dd she is going to get to do the same experiments next year. I personally just think that gives the kids something to look forward to, and since they all have their own guides they each have something special to do anyways. I personally think the kids nead to learn that some things they need to wait for. I hope you can make a descision you will be happy with. Right now I am very happy with our curriculum choices, and it feels really good to be there. I just wanted to add that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can always switch later.

Katrina, I was going to PM you with this but thought maybe someone else would have the same questions or have answers too.

I've been reading your post about HOD vs MFW and I have a few questions. I have just about settled on Trail Guide to Learning for my youngest next year but there has been a lot of HOD discussion that has interested me. My primary goal for this daughter right now is integrated LA, geography etc.

The problem is that posts like yours talk about all of this integration and I have a hard time seeing it in the samples. Can you talk to me about how the LA works with HOD? Are the dictation and copywork passages spelled out or are you told to pick something? Are the passages tied to particular grammar or usage lessons or primarily for handwriting and good literature exposure? Is there much geography? I guess I'm asking the question about HOD that you are asking about MFW. Is there more than the sample indicates?

Thanks

Heather

I've been using MFW with my boys for the last two years, and have found that we've had a richer experience than what we would have had if I were just piecing curriculum together myself. A few moms have spoken to some of the components of MFW that make it special: Book Basket, art projects and art history that is integrated to history studies, music appreciation, cooking projects, crafts, scheduled note booking, Bible verse memorization, games, read alouds, etc. Although I've never used HOD, I have no doubt that it is a rich program, too.

It sounds like your heart is telling you to keep your kids together in as many studies that you can. fMaybe you need to determine which subjects you can all enjoy as one group and which subjects need to be customized for individual learning levels. MFW makes it easy to combine kids in Bible, science, history, art, music, read alouds, and package "extras" such as hymns, Latin vocal, map work, etc.

No matter what curricula you choose, there will be room for you to make it as rich or as basic as your heart desires. Last year, while doing MFW RtR, I purchased note booking pages to make our history notebook look festive and more "medieval". I also extended a couple of weeks so we could take extra time to study things that were of great interest too my kids. My kids were in 2nd and 4th grade when we studied RtR, and there were times that Streams seemed like too much for my boys. so . . . I chose to read it myself, and share with my kids what I had learned at a level more appropriate for them. I found that I appreciated that Streams was scheduled because it brought a deeper level of understanding for me.

Best wishes as you pray, ponder and consider!

I realize that K, and 1st have their own guides for MFW(both of which do not appeal to me). Like I said though my youngest would be in 2nd when he would join a MFW rotation, and my oldest in 8th. I just do not see how I could combine 2nd-8th grades. To me that seems like a lot of work to make it age appropriate for all without feeling like some one is getting drug along, or someone isn't being challenged. Like I said that is all just a matter of preference. Right now I just tell my dd she is going to get to do the same experiments next year. I personally just think that gives the kids something to look forward to, and since they all have their own guides they each have something special to do anyways. I personally think the kids nead to learn that some things they need to wait for. I hope you can make a descision you will be happy with. Right now I am very happy with our curriculum choices, and it feels really good to be there. I just wanted to add that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can always switch later.

I hear you on all you're saying and agree with you on your sentiments about kiddos needing to learn to wait:001_smile:. I guess I'm recognizing a philosophical bent in that I WANT the togetherness much more than I realized before and I'm going to want it in those key middle years.

I'm with you in that I wouldn't combine a 2nd and an 8th grader either..... if we go MFW then I can live my HOD dream through the baby of our family.....:001_smile: The MFW guides actually do have portions that are reserved for olders and youngers....it's a clever set up actually.

MFW K wasn't a good fit here but we loved first grade when we used it (my oldest). I do think Little Hearts and Beyond look great too!

I'm really happy that your homeschool is flowing for you :001_smile:. Despite my agonies, ours actually has gone well, for the most part. We loved the past three years with Sonlight and MFW. They were GREAT fits for us. I'm just at a new place and wanting to settle in a little bit with a curriculum company.....hence, the agony. :001_smile: HOD caught my eye and really has taken me for a spin!!

Katrina, I was going to PM you with this but thought maybe someone else would have the same questions or have answers too.

I've been reading your post about HOD vs MFW and I have a few questions. I have just about settled on Trail Guide to Learning for my youngest next year but there has been a lot of HOD discussion that has interested me. My primary goal for this daughter right now is integrated LA, geography etc.

The problem is that posts like yours talk about all of this integration and I have a hard time seeing it in the samples. Can you talk to me about how the LA works with HOD? Are the dictation and copywork passages spelled out or are you told to pick something? Are the passages tied to particular grammar or usage lessons or primarily for handwriting and good literature exposure? Is there much geography? I guess I'm asking the question about HOD that you are asking about MFW. Is there more than the sample indicates?

Thanks

Heather

Heather,

There is much more than "meets the eye" with HOD, especially beginning with Bigger Hearts for His Glory. Here is a summary, to the best of my ability, of the integration of skills (across content) in Bigger and Preparing. I copy pasted a list from the HOD site and edited it a tiny bit:

Bigger Hearts:

Copywork of the poem (1 per week)

a Cursive program (daily)

R & S grammar (we wrote about 1/3 of it, doing the other portion orally, or on markerboard; daily; about 1/2 a page skipping lines)

Studied Dictation 3 times a week (passages provided)

DITHOR Student Book (Level 2/3, approximately 2-3 workbook pages a week)

Science Notebooking (1 per week; approximately 2-4 sentences)

History Notebooking (1 per week; approximately 2-4 sentences)

Science Lab report (1 paper, 1 per week, not much writing - maybe 3-5 sentences with picture) - learning scientific method here

1-3 vocab. cards for history (1 time a week)

Bible Memory Verse copied (1 time a week)

Preparing Hearts:

R & S Grammar (we write about 1/3 of it, same as I said above, only more like 3/4 a page or so of writing, skipping lines)

Dictation (3 x a week)

DITHOR Student Book (if you do Level 4/5, approximately 3 workbook pages a week, with more writing on a page)

Science Notebooking (2 times a week, approx. 4 sentences)

History Notebooking (2 times a week, approx. 4 sentences)

Science lab report (same as above)

3-5 vocab. cards for history (1 time a week)

Common Place book (copy Bible verse, quotations, special things from reading, probably 3-5 sentences, 1-2 times a week)

Creative Writing of a poem using RLS's poetry as a model (approx. 4 stanzas, 1 time per week)

Written Narration with history (5 sentences, 1 x a week)

Science short answer (answer 5 questions, 1 x a week)

Heather, bear in mind that depending upon where your kids place Bigger can be a 2nd or 3rd grade program while Preparing can be 3rd or 4th. There is a lot of flexibility with those guides for older kids because an Extension Package is provided with higher level reading, narrations, writing recommendations in the appendix of the guide. Not listed above is the constant requirement for narration, esp. within History and Science studies. The kids are narrating continuously in true CM fashion....the explicit reminders really help me to stay on track with it. DITHOR is Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and RLS is Robert Louis Stevenson. In Bigger I think the poems are from various writers but Preparing is all RLS.

Everything you need IS there.....scripture, poetry, spelling words, dictation passages, narration helps, direction for how to teach written narration, notebooking helps, etc. It IS highly scripted as in "Say this, then say this. Now do this. Save it for tomorrow." Of course, scripts can be modified but I know they do drive some moms batty. It is very Christ-centered and Word centered as well. I would find it difficult to use HOD if I didn't love God and His Word! You can't sanitize HOD at all.....:D There is also a strong use of Charlotte Mason types of literature and a strong providential view of history. From an origins standpoint HOD is unashamedly YE. I love that but not every Christian does so that may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

:001_smile:

Edited by abrightmom

I tried to combine SL book list with Adventures. I copied out the list of books from SL, carried that and my Adv TM with me to the library, checked out my books and come to find out almost all the books were duplicated. After about two months I just threw the SL list in the trash.

I wanted to do all the elementary Apologia books, I was glad that in some years it was already scheduled but I tried to fill in the years with Apologia that weren't scheduled. I ended up dropping that idea because it was just too much, my kids were whining, and we weren't getting everything done. It was LONG days. I got frustrated with kids and planning. So, you know what I did after about 16 weeks of this? I shelved everything that wasn't in my ADV deluxe set. I started all over again from week 1, did EVERYTHING 100%, as exactly laid out in the TM, didn't add or take away. I trusted that even though I didn't see the BIG picture right away, I knew that we were going to be fine.

After doing MFW 1st, ADV, and now this year ECC I am starting to see the bigger picture. You know what it has got us?

Joyful learning. No whining. Kids being able to play in the afternoons. Kids who have a heart for God, great character traits, memorized bible verses that no man can take out of their hearts, a heart for missions, they know how to pray for all people all over the world.

They have beautiful notebooks that they will be able to treasure for the rest of their lives. They are exposed to beautiful music, poetry, and wonderful literature, they have there home made timelines, Jesus Poster and each has big keep box with all their crafts, projects, and even some science stuff in them. Academically they are testing above grade level.

In the beginning I didn't understand how rich and thorough MFW is. I remember over a year ago, after realizing the depth of MFW I posted on the forum, that the only thing wrong with MFW is that they don't do them selves justice, by the way they advertise in the catalog or the website. If you could go to a convention and see just the notebooks in the flesh, you'd be surprised.

I'm not here to sell you on MFW, but my advice would be that whatever you choose, do it 100%, don't add anything to it, or take away. Do your subjects, and then let your kids be kids. Spend time outside, spend time with them as "mom" not "teacher", do nature journals, MFW is light on Fridays and this has afforded us having a "fabulous friday" we go meet up with our homeschool group, go to the science center, catch the latest planetarium show, feed the sharks in the aquatic area, go to the Y and swim, go to the park, have a pic nic, go on walking trails, go to the movies, you get the idea!:tongue_smilie:

HTH;)

I tried to combine SL book list with Adventures. I copied out the list of books from SL, carried that and my Adv TM with me to the library, checked out my books and come to find out almost all the books were duplicated. After about two months I just threw the SL list in the trash.

I wanted to do all the elementary Apologia books, I was glad that in some years it was already scheduled but I tried to fill in the years with Apologia that weren't scheduled. I ended up dropping that idea because it was just too much, my kids were whining, and we weren't getting everything done. It was LONG days. I got frustrated with kids and planning. So, you know what I did after about 16 weeks of this? I shelved everything that wasn't in my ADV deluxe set. I started all over again from week 1, did EVERYTHING 100%, as exactly laid out in the TM, didn't add or take away. I trusted that even though I didn't see the BIG picture right away, I knew that we were going to be fine.

After doing MFW 1st, ADV, and now this year ECC I am starting to see the bigger picture. You know what it has got us?

Joyful learning. No whining. Kids being able to play in the afternoons. Kids who have a heart for God, great character traits, memorized bible verses that no man can take out of their hearts, a heart for missions, they know how to pray for all people all over the world.

They have beautiful notebooks that they will be able to treasure for the rest of their lives. They are exposed to beautiful music, poetry, and wonderful literature, they have there home made timelines, Jesus Poster and each has big keep box with all their crafts, projects, and even some science stuff in them. Academically they are testing above grade level.

In the beginning I didn't understand how rich and thorough MFW is. I remember over a year ago, after realizing the depth of MFW I posted on the forum, that the only thing wrong with MFW is that they don't do them selves justice, by the way they advertise in the catalog or the website. If you could go to a convention and see just the notebooks in the flesh, you'd be surprised.

I'm not here to sell you on MFW, but my advice would be that whatever you choose, do it 100%, don't add anything to it, or take away. Do your subjects, and then let your kids be kids. Spend time outside, spend time with them as "mom" not "teacher", do nature journals, MFW is light on Fridays and this has afforded us having a "fabulous friday" we go meet up with our homeschool group, go to the science center, catch the latest planetarium show, feed the sharks in the aquatic area, go to the Y and swim, go to the park, have a pic nic, go on walking trails, go to the movies, you get the idea!:tongue_smilie:

HTH;)

Katherine,

You paint a picture of my dream home school.....thanks for sharing your love of MFW and how it is blessing your family!!! We loved Adventures this past year...the notebooks ARE gorgeous. We just pasted in their timeline pieces and Jesus Door (we did a door rather than a poster) pictures into the books for them. They absolutely LOVE thumbing through them.....

HTH;)

THANK you so much for this post!

I really needed to gain back some perspective, and your post has helped me do just that!

Heather,

There is much more than "meets the eye" with HOD, especially beginning with Bigger Hearts for His Glory. Here is a summary, to the best of my ability, of the integration of skills (across content) in Bigger and Preparing. I copy pasted a list from the HOD site and edited it a tiny bit:

Bigger Hearts:

Copywork of the poem (1 per week)

a Cursive program (daily)

R & S grammar (we wrote about 1/3 of it, doing the other portion orally, or on markerboard; daily; about 1/2 a page skipping lines)

Studied Dictation 3 times a week (passages provided)

DITHOR Student Book (Level 2/3, approximately 2-3 workbook pages a week)

Science Notebooking (1 per week; approximately 2-4 sentences)

History Notebooking (1 per week; approximately 2-4 sentences)

Science Lab report (1 paper, 1 per week, not much writing - maybe 3-5 sentences with picture) - learning scientific method here

1-3 vocab. cards for history (1 time a week)

Bible Memory Verse copied (1 time a week)

Preparing Hearts:

R & S Grammar (we write about 1/3 of it, same as I said above, only more like 3/4 a page or so of writing, skipping lines)

Dictation (3 x a week)

DITHOR Student Book (if you do Level 4/5, approximately 3 workbook pages a week, with more writing on a page)

Science Notebooking (2 times a week, approx. 4 sentences)

History Notebooking (2 times a week, approx. 4 sentences)

Science lab report (same as above)

3-5 vocab. cards for history (1 time a week)

Common Place book (copy Bible verse, quotations, special things from reading, probably 3-5 sentences, 1-2 times a week)

Creative Writing of a poem using RLS's poetry as a model (approx. 4 stanzas, 1 time per week)

Written Narration with history (5 sentences, 1 x a week)

Science short answer (answer 5 questions, 1 x a week)

Heather, bear in mind that depending upon where your kids place Bigger can be a 2nd or 3rd grade program while Preparing can be 3rd or 4th. There is a lot of flexibility with those guides for older kids because an Extension Package is provided with higher level reading, narrations, writing recommendations in the appendix of the guide.

Everything you need IS there.....scripture, poetry, spelling words, dictation passages, narration helps, direction for how to teach written narration, notebooking helps, etc. It IS highly scripted as in "Say this, then say this. Now do this. Save it for tomorrow." Of course, scripts can be modified but I know they do drive some moms batty. It is very Christ-centered and Word centered as well. I would find it difficult to use HOD if I didn't love God and His Word! You can't sanitize HOD at all.....:D There is also a strong use of Charlotte Mason types of literature and a strong providential view of history. From an origins standpoint HOD is unashamedly YE. I love that but not every Christian does so that may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

Thank you SO much. This is so much more than you can see from the samples. I'm going to have to think even more about this. The possible 'problems' you list (very Christ-centered, YE etc) is not a problem for us. I am not as providential as many curriculums but I have used (and do use) strongly providential curriculum without issue.

I might have to get a guide and look at it in-depth.

Thanks

Heather

Thank you SO much. This is so much more than you can see from the samples. I'm going to have to think even more about this. The possible 'problems' you list (very Christ-centered, YE etc) is not a problem for us. I am not as providential as many curriculums but I have used (and do use) strongly providential curriculum without issue.

Thanks

Heather

You are welcome Heather. Order a catalog. They ship fast! The guides from Bigger on up get better and better. Carrie Austin is gifted by God in writing and planning....there are some excellent threads on the HOD forum as well if you are interested in reading the "whys" behind HOD's choices. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of that one for some discussion of the deeper issues (higher level thinking, Bible, writing output, why no answer keys, etc.). She has thought through every detail.....every assignment or activity is planned with a specific purpose and there is great balance to the guides in terms of narration, writing, hands on, etc. It amazes me......

Use the placement chart on the website (or in the catalog) to get a feel for where your DD would place. Knowing what you have done in terms of PR and writing she's probably a good candidate for Preparing as long as she has been narrating regularly. Preparing looks incredibly rich and I have always wanted to teach it ...

Guest RecumbentHeart

It is very Christ-centered and Word centered as well. I would find it difficult to use HOD if I didn't love God and His Word! You can't sanitize HOD at all.....:D There is also a strong use of Charlotte Mason types of literature and a strong providential view of history. From an origins standpoint HOD is unashamedly YE. I love that but not every Christian does so that may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

You have made my heart sing. :001_wub:

I shelved everything that wasn't in my ADV deluxe set. I started all over again from week 1, did EVERYTHING 100%, as exactly laid out in the TM, didn't add or take away. I trusted that even though I didn't see the BIG picture right away, I knew that we were going to be fine.

[...]

HTH;)

I'm going to be chewing on this post. I want this simplicity. I want to be able to step out in faith with a curriculum like this. I'm so afraid of missing something though ... but what if what I end up missing is their childhood because of all that I tried to do in the little time I had with them? Is what they could gain worth the memory of their mother as an always busy (and quite likely stressed) teacher rather than a warm, fun-loving mom? I honestly don't think I can pull it all off. *sigh*

I'm in the midst of this agonizing decision for my 1st year homeschooling. I'll either do MFW Adventures or HOD Beyond (I think Beyond would be the best fit for my daughter who does well with A Beka in her Christian school and her twin brother who struggles because of some learning issues)...and sometimes I ponder going eclectic. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one! I'm taking all these responses in so thank you!

Rikki

Thanks

Heather

WORD OF WARNING: I bought Bigger just to look at because I was trying to decide between it and MFW Adv. After looking through the Bigger guide, I was sold. It is an AMAZING program! Way more in depth than I got from the samples online, as well. I'm already buying up the books I need used to finish out the curriculum :001_smile:

WORD OF WARNING: I bought Bigger just to look at because I was trying to decide between it and MFW Adv. After looking through the Bigger guide, I was sold. It is an AMAZING program! Way more in depth than I got from the samples online, as well. I'm already buying up the books I need used to finish out the curriculum :001_smile:

Yeah, that's what did it for me too. I bought every guide from Little Hands to Preparing..... in a word, AMAZING. :001_smile:

I'm going to be chewing on this post. I want this simplicity. I want to be able to step out in faith with a curriculum like this. I'm so afraid of missing something though ... but what if what I end up missing is their childhood because of all that I tried to do in the little time I had with them? Is what they could gain worth the memory of their mother as an always busy (and quite likely stressed) teacher rather than a warm, fun-loving mom? I honestly don't think I can pull it all off. *sigh*

RecumbentHeart,

I just wanted to post personally to you to try and encourage you. I read earlier where you took all the things you were looking at and had your dh read through them and he picked HOD. Then I read the post above. I just wanted to chime in.

This is our first year with HOD and we're on the home stretch of finishing up our first guide. Before HOD I used unit studies exclusively and was always trying to make sure I fit everything in because oh, this looks like fun and we can't miss this and the list seemed to go on and on. I was tired and to be honest stressed out. I did so much prep work that I had very little energy to actually teach my dc. Anyway, somehow (the Lord :)) I found HOD. I showed dh and he liked it too. He ruled out other things that he didn't feel were "enough". Anyway, this year has just been such a breath of fresh air for me. I am not stressed out. I have more time with my family rather than always prepping. We have so much fun in school. I actually have the energy to teach school. Oh, and my dc just love HOD. We do our schoolwork and then have time for them to be kids where they can play and follow their own interests and pursuits (woodworking, creating, etc). So anyway, you said above that you wanted to step out in faith with a curriculum like that. Well, I just wanted to encourage you that you can do it with HOD. I am doing it with the Lord's help. My dh always told me it had to be easier than what I was making it and it truly has been with HOD.:grouphug:

Here is my suggestion for what it is worth...I would put your oldest son in Bigger and let the younger two tag along using books at their level for LA and math (which you would have to do anyway) The science in Bigger would be understandable for your younger two (IMO) just don't have them do all the notebooking. Use the history spines from Beyond for group work and then in one-on-one time with your oldest read from the Eggleston books to him (the reading are really short and could be done quickly with him once the others have finished their day). The Bible and music from Bigger would be easy to do with the youngers. Then you would have all three of your kids doing history, science, Bible, and music together...I'm sure the art would be pretty adaptable too.

Then next year do Preparing with the oldest and go back and do Little Hearts with your other two, just up the LA for your other son. There was a lady on the HOD forum who did these two guides together and she said that it lined up really well. You could read from the youngers history spines during group history time and read the Preparing history books later. The youngers could possibly join in for history activities/science/art/music just make it a little easier for them. Your son can do his independent work after all of the together activities are done and you are ready to work on LA and math with the youngers. I believe that the olders in MFW have extra assignments to do as well after the general learning has occurred (maybe not, though).

The year after the Preparing/Little Hearts combo you could do MFW ECC with them all together.

Since it seems like you are really wanting to try the Bigger and the Preparing guide this is my solution to be able to do that. Then after your MFW ECC year, you can assess the situation and see which learning method you like best.

I don't mind having the kids in seperate guides because even now my middle dc (3 yrs. old) is in the middle of doing school with her older sister (1st grade) and I know that next year when I am doing LHTH with my middle that big sister and little brother will be in the middle of her schoolwork. ;) I think when you are homeschooling that everyone winds up doing everything together anyway!!! Will they be learning about different time periods? Possibly, but then we can make those history connections (remember how little sister was learning about the founding fathers today. Well, they based some of our government's design on ancient Greek democracy which you are studying about).

Good luck figuring it all out! I wish someone had told me before I started having children that if you ever think you might want to homeschool in the future either have your children really, really close together or really far apart :001_smile: My oldest and my middle are 3.5 years apart and my middle and the youngest are a little less than 3 years apart. That just equals a big 'ol combining kids mess! I have my plan of how I'm going to rotate my kids through both HOD and MFW already mapped out and they line up better than I thought they would!

This is exactly what I have been thinking lately. I just stated this same thing to my husband this evening. That's it! I am going to start enjoying my children and being that warm, fun-loving mom!!!

HTH;)

WOW!! How encouraging! This is exactly why we are returning to MFW after using other things the last 1 1/2 years. I miss the time I had just enjoying my kids whne we used MFW! I know that one curric. doesn't dictate whether you can enjoy your kids or not, but MFW is the one that worked for us, and I ditched it for something "better" when in reality, there was nothing better out there for us. I can't wait to get back!

Guest RecumbentHeart
RecumbentHeart,

I just wanted to post personally to you to try and encourage you. I read earlier where you took all the things you were looking at and had your dh read through them and he picked HOD. Then I read the post above. I just wanted to chime in.

This is our first year with HOD and we're on the home stretch of finishing up our first guide. Before HOD I used unit studies exclusively and was always trying to make sure I fit everything in because oh, this looks like fun and we can't miss this and the list seemed to go on and on. I was tired and to be honest stressed out. I did so much prep work that I had very little energy to actually teach my dc. Anyway, somehow (the Lord :)) I found HOD. I showed dh and he liked it too. He ruled out other things that he didn't feel were "enough". Anyway, this year has just been such a breath of fresh air for me. I am not stressed out. I have more time with my family rather than always prepping. We have so much fun in school. I actually have the energy to teach school. Oh, and my dc just love HOD. We do our schoolwork and then have time for them to be kids where they can play and follow their own interests and pursuits (woodworking, creating, etc). So anyway, you said above that you wanted to step out in faith with a curriculum like that. Well, I just wanted to encourage you that you can do it with HOD. I am doing it with the Lord's help. My dh always told me it had to be easier than what I was making it and it truly has been with HOD.:grouphug:

Thank-you, Edwena. I deeply appreciate this encouragement. :001_wub:

I was up late last night reading through threads on the HoD board and will be doing more of that today. My primary area of temptation is grammar/writing. I have long had my own plans for that but I've always known it would be time consuming, especially with multiple children. HoD's schedule for this are looks so inviting. I'm torn, but it's not even something I have to decide for the year to come because we're not there yet.

WOW!! How encouraging! This is exactly why we are returning to MFW after using other things the last 1 1/2 years. I miss the time I had just enjoying my kids whne we used MFW! I know that one curric. doesn't dictate whether you can enjoy your kids or not, but MFW is the one that worked for us, and I ditched it for something "better" when in reality, there was nothing better out there for us. I can't wait to get back!

:hurray:

My oldest and my middle are 3.5 years apart and my middle and the youngest are a little less than 3 years apart. That just equals a big 'ol combining kids mess! I have my plan of how I'm going to rotate my kids through both HOD and MFW already mapped out and they line up better than I thought they would!

I'm curious if you would mind sharing your plan? My two are 3.5 yrs apart as well.

I just finished reading about extensions in the HOD guides. I think I may have underestimated what they can add to the program. One of my biggest worries was that in combining my kids, the older would be missing out on some of the LA skills across the curriculum. The extensions contain additional reading, narration and notebooking which I feel beefs up the program very well.

Carrie gave this description which really helped give me a better idea: http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3930

My girls are 2 years apart. They both fall within the age range of each guide. But my oldest is much more advanced. Even though she will do grade level grammar, spelling and math, I was worried that the rest would be too light for her. However, I really think she would benefit from the extensions when we hit Bigger.

So for me, combining is sounding more do-able than I thought.

Katrina, I have read your posts here and on HoD. I really think you should go ahead and try HoD. Especially if you have it already.

Some of the best advice I've gotten on this board is that Mom must like the curriculum she uses. If HoD draws you and speaks to you, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Make it work for you to meet your goals. Home'scoolmom had some really great ideas. History is not the only combinable subject out there. You could combine for Storytime, Dithor, Bible, Poetry, or Projects quite easily.

Fact is, you just won't know for sure which program is better for you unless you actually try HoD for awhile. You've been agonizing over your decision, but maybe you just don't have enough information yet. You've done all your homework, but you've not done the field testing. One time I tried a curriculum that I thought I'd hate, but surprised myself by actually liking it when I actually used it. The opposite could happen too. If you go back to MFW without trying HoD, you'll never know for sure that you did the right thing, esp. when you hit those hard days that come to all of us. Maybe you just need to get it out of your system. Then you can have peace and confidence if you go back to MFW and won't be constantly tempted by HoD. :) "Nope. I tried that and it didn't work for our family."

Your children are young enough that no one's future is going to be derailed by switching programs at this point. (Just stay consistent with math.) We cannot know what the future holds or how our children will progress academically. Make your decisions for your current needs. :)

Guest RecumbentHeart
Katrina, I have read your posts here and on HoD. I really think you should go ahead and try HoD. Especially if you have it already.

Some of the best advice I've gotten on this board is that Mom must like the curriculum she uses. If HoD draws you and speaks to you, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Make it work for you to meet your goals. Home'scoolmom had some really great ideas. History is not the only combinable subject out there. You could combine for Storytime, Dithor, Bible, Poetry, or Projects quite easily.

Fact is, you just won't know for sure which program is better for you unless you actually try HoD for awhile. You've been agonizing over your decision, but maybe you just don't have enough information yet. You've done all your homework, but you've not done the field testing. One time I tried a curriculum that I thought I'd hate, but surprised myself by actually liking it when I actually used it. The opposite could happen too. If you go back to MFW without trying HoD, you'll never know for sure that you did the right thing, esp. when you hit those hard days that come to all of us. Maybe you just need to get it out of your system. Then you can have peace and confidence if you go back to MFW and won't be constantly tempted by HoD. :) "Nope. I tried that and it didn't work for our family."

Your children are young enough that no one's future is going to be derailed by switching programs at this point. (Just stay consistent with math.) We cannot know what the future holds or how our children will progress academically. Make your decisions for your current needs. :)

Good points. I'm eager to see what she eventually chooses and then how that pans out over the next couple of years ... pity you can't bookmark a person. :lol:

I've used both and by far am much happier with HOD for SO many reasons. We do so much together as a family already, and my kids love sharing what they are learning with each other...and what makes it super interesting is the fact they all have unique things to share about! We can talk about history, and not everyone already knows about the topic since we are in different parts of history. We can talk science and everyone gets to tell about their experiements and surprising conclusions without someone else jumping in to tell dad the "punch line". And I personally LOVE the one on one time I get with each kid where I'm not having to MAKE them do work, like math, chores, grammar, etc. We get FUN time together while learning wonderful things together, plus Bible discussions on their level of understanding and on a personal level. I can share things with my oldest that I couldn't if my youngers were part of it. Another plus is the fact that my olders get review of previous years when we have these history discussions because their previously learned history topics are brought up by youngers :) I love having the writing skills, and all the great skills you listed built right in for me to know just what to expect of my children...each of them. HOD is SO rich without having to depend on a book basket. It's structured, yet flexible. Predictable, yet not repetitive. I think it's fantastic!

I just finished reading about extensions in the HOD guides. I think I may have underestimated what they can add to the program. One of my biggest worries was that in combining my kids, the older would be missing out on some of the LA skills across the curriculum. The extensions contain additional reading, narration and notebooking which I feel beefs up the program very well.

Carrie gave this description which really helped give me a better idea: http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3930

My girls are 2 years apart. They both fall within the age range of each guide. But my oldest is much more advanced. Even though she will do grade level grammar, spelling and math, I was worried that the rest would be too light for her. However, I really think she would benefit from the extensions when we hit Bigger.

So for me, combining is sounding more do-able than I thought.

Extensions look great, don't they?

This is really good advice. I'll admit something to you.... I'm really fearful of using HOD, loving it, and then having to leave it. I'd rather not use it at all....I know I love MFW. We loved it both years we used it. :001_smile: But, overall HOD is more what I'm looking for. There is just this "writing on the wall" ....in two years, after using (and likely loving) Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger and Preparing (running two guides simultaneously) I will have to separate my middlers. I just do not want my daughter using Preparing at barely 8 years old. I want her to slow down with Bigger Hearts so that she hits Preparing at 9 (she'd be newly 9 too). So, in two years that is 3 guides to really FIT everybody. I really think I will love it.......... Starting it, loving it, and having to leave it just kills me......... I'm pondering it though. :001_smile:

I've used both and by far am much happier with HOD for SO many reasons. We do so much together as a family already, and my kids love sharing what they are learning with each other...and what makes it super interesting is the fact they all have unique things to share about! We can talk about history, and not everyone already knows about the topic since we are in different parts of history. We can talk science and everyone gets to tell about their experiements and surprising conclusions without someone else jumping in to tell dad the "punch line". And I personally LOVE the one on one time I get with each kid where I'm not having to MAKE them do work, like math, chores, grammar, etc. We get FUN time together while learning wonderful things together, plus Bible discussions on their level of understanding and on a personal level. I can share things with my oldest that I couldn't if my youngers were part of it. Another plus is the fact that my olders get review of previous years when we have these history discussions because their previously learned history topics are brought up by youngers :) I love having the writing skills, and all the great skills you listed built right in for me to know just what to expect of my children...each of them. HOD is SO rich without having to depend on a book basket. It's structured, yet flexible. Predictable, yet not repetitive. I think it's fantastic!

I like hearing this! :001_smile:

I made a lovely chart plotting out the rest of our home schooling years with HOD and MFW (Plan A and Plan B). Of course that is ridiculous because we don't know what the end of today holds but we home schooling Moms like to see plans on paper, don't we?! I also did a Pros/Cons list. It's full. DH is going to lock himself in the bathroom or pantry and look it over for me. Maybe he'll know what to do! :lol:

Extensions look great, don't they?

This is really good advice. I'll admit something to you.... I'm really fearful of using HOD, loving it, and then having to leave it. I'd rather not use it at all....I know I love MFW. We loved it both years we used it. :001_smile: But, overall HOD is more what I'm looking for. There is just this "writing on the wall" ....in two years, after using (and likely loving) Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger and Preparing (running two guides simultaneously) I will have to separate my middlers. I just do not want my daughter using Preparing at barely 8 years old. I want her to slow down with Bigger Hearts so that she hits Preparing at 9 (she'd be newly 9 too). So, in two years that is 3 guides to really FIT everybody. I really think I will love it.......... Starting it, loving it, and having to leave it just kills me......... I'm pondering it though. :001_smile:

I like hearing this! :001_smile:

I made a lovely chart plotting out the rest of our home schooling years with HOD and MFW (Plan A and Plan B). Of course that is ridiculous because we don't know what the end of today holds but we home schooling Moms like to see plans on paper, don't we?! I also did a Pros/Cons list. It's full. DH is going to lock himself in the bathroom or pantry and look it over for me. Maybe he'll know what to do! :lol:

He'll be running for the hills if he's smart and lock YOU in the pantry! :D:lol:

Ladies,

It's been maybe 10 minutes since my last post but it's decided. I will begin HOD as planned and not "dig up in doubt what has been planted in faith". :001_smile: Our (my sweet DH and I) decision to shift to HOD was made thoughtfully, prayerfully, and purposefully over time (a few months of agony, really). The real deep down issue is FEAR....over the future. Well, we all know that the future belongs to God. :001_smile: Birchbark, you are right (and so is everybody else). Here is the Bible verse that I've pasted into the inside cover of my planning binder: "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21.

I AM fearful.....afraid of regret, afraid of loving HOD and having to leave, afraid of failing by not managing my days well, afraid of placing my kids in the wrong guide, etc. It's silly of me to think that the right curriculum will erase those fears. The fears are there because, well, I'm human and because trusting God's leading is proving difficult for me. Trust means I step out when I can't see what's in front of me because I believe that the One who is guiding my paths is trustworthy. Sheesh. If it wasn't like that it wouldn't be trust now would it. We walk by faith (in One who is so faithful) and not by sight. My flesh wants guarantees, in writing, that this home schooling thing is going to pan out; that I'm not going to ruin my kids. Well, *I* will ruin my kids if I'm depending on me or my "right decisions". It's by God's grace that any good will be wrought in their hearts & lives. And what good is brought about is for His glory... God is using this journey to refine me...an added, though painful, bonus!

So ladies, there it is. We ARE going to begin our HOD journey. I don't need any more information. I have all that I need and then some. What I NEED is to spend more time with the Lord day to day, throw my apron over my face and pray when things start to go looney (thinking of Susanna Wesley here), ask God for "3 students, 2 guides, and 1 toddler" grace, one day at a time!!!

Bless you all for your kindness, direct words (I love them :001_smile:), well wishes, and prayer.

Guest RecumbentHeart

So I will get to see how this goes for you after all! I hope to see ongoing posts on the HoD board about how it's going once you begin! :D

It sounds like HOD is a better fit right now. I wouldn't feel like you are locked into whatever you decide for next year. If you are feeling led in a different direction after you do Bigger then go for it. Your kids are all so little I wouldn't stress too much about it. It sounds like you really like HOD and would probably have a great year using it. I figure if mom is happy then everything else is likely to fall into place.

I have never used HOD but I have been pouring over their catalog and reading at their message board the last few weeks. I was planning to buy MFW Adventures this Friday at our curriculum fair but HOD Beyond looks so good as well I can't decide. I have my 2 oldest I can combine easily. They are going to do Notgrass America the Beautiful because my oldest is doing CC Challenge program and I think MFW Modern would be overkill on top of that. Then I have my next 3 kids that are 2.5 years apart. If we went with HOD I likely wouldn't combine them. Next year we'd do Beyond and the following Bigger. The year after that would be Preparing but my 5th child would be 6.5 at the beginning of that school year and I can't imagine that would work. I think she'd need her own guide. She is closer in age to my youngest (only 12 months by due dates) but he has autism and is quite delayed so if I combine her with any other kids it needs to be the twins. I kind of think she'd like working her own guide though. She is sandwiched between twins and a special needs child and can get lost in the shuffle. She loves one on one school time.

Katrina,

Good for you! And, just know, you are not going to ruin your kids if you find that you need to make a change in a year or two or three or....... You make the decision that you feel led to for now and that may or may not change in the future. I have made changes in curriculum in all areas over the years and I feel that we have gained knowledge, insight, and skills from each of them. Plus, I have learned so much as a teacher that I would have never learned if I had stuck with one thing from the very beginning. Even after ten year of experience, I think I know what I would do with another kid if I ever have the chance, but the truth is said kid could throw all of that for a loop.

I know you have struggled with this decision and I think you have made the right one. You seem drawn to HOD. Go with that and see how it plays out for your family. If it is not what you want for next year, then you have not damaged your kids.

Don't forget that once you get the hang of running two guides and a feel for how everything flows, three might be a breeze to add later on. Then you'll have a better idea of how to shift things a little to include all your kiddos more.

I'm curious if you would mind sharing your plan? My two are 3.5 yrs apart as well.

Here it is for all that it's worth....

Before 2nd the oldest child would just follow the HOD guides scheduled for that year.

Child 1: 2nd (Bigger) 3rd (Preparing-world history overview), 4th (Exp. to 1850 from MFW), 5th (1850 to Modern--MFW), 6th (ECC-MFW), 7th (C to C with extensions--HOD), 8th (R to R with extensions--HOD)--moves on to high school with MFW or HOD (leaning towards MFW right now just because HOD doesn't have the guides ready yet)

Child 2: PreK (LHTH) K (LHFHG--world history overview), 1st (Beyond-HOD, Am. history coordinates with older dc), 2nd (Bigger--HOD, Am. history coordinates with older dc), 3rd (ECC-MFW/Preparing--HOD), 4th (C to C--HOD), 5th (R to R--HOD) 6th (Exp to 1850--MFW), 7th (1850 to Modern--MFW), 8th (ECC again or the new Geography through History guide that HOD is putting out), moves on to high school

First thing you might notice is that the history sequence Is "out of order." The oldest moves into the American history level of MFW first instead of starting with ancient history. This is so that the older will stay aligned with the younger in 1st and 2nd. I had to use MFW for this reason since it is geared for 3rd-8th in all of its programs.

Second, starting in 3rd, the dc are doing the exact same guides together every year until the oldest moves into high school work. By taking a few years to do some MFW guides, then when you come back to HOD enough time has passed that they can be in the same HOD guide with the older using the extensions.

Third, during the younger dc's 3rd grade year, I have added a combo of Preparing with ECC. This is because I have heard that Preparing is an essential guide for getting the dc ready for the upper level guides in HOD.

Anyway, feel free to use this, modify it to fit what you want to do, or just shake your head and say, "That lady is crazy!" :D

Here it is for all that it's worth....

Before 2nd the oldest child would just follow the HOD guides scheduled for that year.

Child 1: 2nd (Bigger) 3rd (Preparing-world history overview), 4th (Exp. to 1850 from MFW), 5th (1850 to Modern--MFW), 6th (ECC-MFW), 7th (C to C with extensions--HOD), 8th (R to R with extensions--HOD)--moves on to high school with MFW or HOD (leaning towards MFW right now just because HOD doesn't have the guides ready yet)

Child 2: PreK (LHTH) K (LHFHG--world history overview), 1st (Beyond-HOD, Am. history coordinates with older dc), 2nd (Bigger--HOD, Am. history coordinates with older dc), 3rd (ECC-MFW/Preparing--HOD), 4th (C to C--HOD), 5th (R to R--HOD) 6th (Exp to 1850--MFW), 7th (1850 to Modern--MFW), 8th (ECC again or the new Geography through History guide that HOD is putting out), moves on to high school

First thing you might notice is that the history sequence Is "out of order." The oldest moves into the American history level of MFW first instead of starting with ancient history. This is so that the older will stay aligned with the younger in 1st and 2nd. I had to use MFW for this reason since it is geared for 3rd-8th in all of its programs.

Second, starting in 3rd, the dc are doing the exact same guides together every year until the oldest moves into high school work. By taking a few years to do some MFW guides, then when you come back to HOD enough time has passed that they can be in the same HOD guide with the older using the extensions.

Third, during the younger dc's 3rd grade year, I have added a combo of Preparing with ECC. This is because I have heard that Preparing is an essential guide for getting the dc ready for the upper level guides in HOD.

Anyway, feel free to use this, modify it to fit what you want to do, or just shake your head and say, "That lady is crazy!" :D

Thank you for sharing your plan! That is very interesting and definitely gives me a new approach to consider!

Kathy

We, too used MFW first before switching to HOD and I have always desired most to keep my 2 oldest together. We used K, 1st, Adventures and ECC before beginning Preparing when my 2 oldest were in 3rd & 5th. And this year we are using Creation to Christ with them together. The oldest does do the extensions. I liked using MFW but for us it was not as good a fit to keep my 2 together. As the boys got older my oldest seem to just barely fit into the material and it seemed I was dragging my youngest. I felt this would only get worse. I begin to find that the parts I like best about MFW were the parts I was adding and I felt I would need to add more and more the further we went on. HOD has been a great fit for both and so much less planning and fretting !