Menu

Natural way to ease allergy symptoms?

My 13 yr old ds is having quite a time with allergies this season. I was wondering if any of you have found success with a natural symptom blocker? I don't even know if such a thing exists. I would like to help him without those dopey drugs. Thanks!

Quercetin or stinging nettles helped my dd. Also, I've heard that if one eats local honey one develops a resistance to allergens, but it has to be done before the season starts. We've never tested it because we can never remember to start early. Something to keep in mind for next year. :)

My 13 yr old ds is having quite a time with allergies this season. I was wondering if any of you have found success with a natural symptom blocker? I don't even know if such a thing exists. I would like to help him without those dopey drugs. Thanks!

I have mild allergy symptoms so I don't know how this would work on your ds's. I use something called Allertonic. It's a brown bottle with a yellow label. The brand name is Herbs Etc. It's a liquid - 20-40 drops in water. I counted enough times, it's a droperful in a shot glass. It tastes like dirt, but it works. Even at their worst, I can take it and it works for 3-4 hours. Directions say to take it 3-5 times a day. Or for acute use, every hour until relief then resume normal use.

I buy it at Whole Foods. I found it on-line so you can see it: here.

Hope you find something for him!

I was just reading an article that recommended a couple of teaspoons of local, raw honey each day during allergy season as a way to desensitize the body to pollen. I'm not sure how it works but I plan to try it with my oldest child as soon as I can get to the health food store to get some.

Neti-pot!!! It's been amazingly effective for me and my son. It rinses the allergens out of the sinuses instead of just alleviating symptoms. It's a little tough to get past the gross factor, but I was surprised at how soothing and immediately effective it was. I use it often now!

I was just reading an article that recommended a couple of teaspoons of local, raw honey each day during allergy season as a way to desensitize the body to pollen. I'm not sure how it works but I plan to try it with my oldest child as soon as I can get to the health food store to get some.

Be very careful with this. I tried it with my son who is very pollen allergic and he had bad reactions. He got worse instead of better. I can even tell if I used it to cook with off season because he will develop allergc rhinitis. We finally decided that store label claritin or zyrtec was the best choice for him.

If your dd is outside every day, it willbe very important for her to bathe completely before getting on her bed or other furniture. Pollen is great about sticking to hair and clothing.

:iagree:

We do this. I used to suffer from allergies as a teen, but not anymore. We buy local raw honey from our farmers market. We don't take it on a daily basis, but a few times a week. I never gave it to my kids as babies, because I figured they were getting something from nursing.

You can also help flush the sinuses with a simple saline nasal spray, not medicated, just plain saline spray. A neti pot is a good, natural solution as well.

Also, I've heard that if one eats local honey one develops a resistance to allergens, but it has to be done before the season starts. We've never tested it because we can never remember to start early. Something to keep in mind for next year. :)

We eat local honey year-round :001_smile: but still had allergies. :confused:

Pycnogenol is a bioflavonoid that is a potent antioxidant and immune system enhancer. It is pine bark extract. While I'm allergic to pine, I've had no reactions to it. By boosting the immune system the body is better able to handle allergies.

Quercetin is a biofavonoid that has effectively treated and prevented asthma symptoms. This statement is probably not endorsed by the FDA, use your own common sense and judgment.

Nasal irrigation, when done properly, moistens and cleanses the mucous membranes in the nose.

I also take Allergena, grasses, trees, weeds for Zone 6 from Progena Proffesional Formulations (found at Whole Foods, Sunflower Market type stores). It is a mixture of the allergen extracts from your area in liquid form that you place under the tongue. It's homeopathic.

Of course, plenty of sleep, water and good nutrition are essential as well.

Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine can really help with many allergies.

I also use acupuncture for my allergies - I haven't had to use any OTC meds for them in 7 years and before that I was taking a decongestant almost daily.