Menu

Question about ethical resale of products...

I know that typically the resale of pdf versions of products is against the rules. I know this was true of My World Science. However, now that My World Science has closed, is it legal/ethical for me to sell my hard copies of my Teacher's guides and include the PDF versions of the student guides? I definately see that you don't do that if the person could purchase from the original source but they can't get them anymore. I really do not want to do anything wrong but the teacher's guides are useless without the Student guides and this is a good curriculum I think people would want. We enjoyed it.

Thoughts?

Heather

Hmm, I see what you are saying in this situation. Personally, I would try to contact the author and see if they were ok with it. I know Ria has posted here on occasion so you could try to PM her and see what she has to say.

It is a fine line, isn't it? :)

I never get the whole, cannot resell rules. Public schools purchase things all the time and then reuse them many times over, befiore they finally sell them in a warehouse sale. Private schools too. Why should homeschoolers have to bear the brunt of everything? Now I can understand if you take one workbook and copy it...not doing that...but we should be able to sell our other things.

I know that typically the resale of pdf versions of products is against the rules. I know this was true of My World Science. However, now that My World Science has closed, is it legal/ethical for me to sell my hard copies of my Teacher's guides and include the PDF versions of the student guides? I definately see that you don't do that if the person could purchase from the original source but they can't get them anymore. I really do not want to do anything wrong but the teacher's guides are useless without the Student guides and this is a good curriculum I think people would want. We enjoyed it.

Thoughts?

Heather

Ethically, since the original source no longer sells the material, she cannot lose money on your resale. She is not harmed or defrauded by the transaction. I cannot see an ethical problem with it.

never get the whole, cannot resell rules. Public schools purchase things all the time and then reuse them many times over, befiore they finally sell them in a warehouse sale. Private schools too. Why should homeschoolers have to bear the brunt of everything? Now I can understand if you take one workbook and copy it...not doing that...but we should be able to sell our other things.

The problem is that many homeschool companies are small. They must have the repeat sales to stay in business. They don't have the benefit of being state approved and selling hundreds of books to one school building. Is it fair? I guess that depends on which side you're looking from.

I've decided not to buy based on that (Calvert, Winterpromise.) Which is my right. But, they're also trying to stay in business. Can't fault them for that.