Menu

When did your wisdom teeth come in?

I'm 32 and I just got my first wisdom tooth this past year. Guess that means I'm not very wise, eh? I was told as a teen that I would eventually have to have them all cut out. Since reaching full adulthood and being able to have them cut out, I've only been at the dentist's office when pregnant, so they're all still in there and I really need to go get x-rays.

I had my bottom ones taken out when I was 19 (awful experience, my small mouth was over crowded without them, so the dentist cut the bottoms out...I woke from the sedation to be told that my jaw had been broke in the process of cracking the one on the left side....my mouth was wired shut for 5 weeks.)

After that I was scared to do anything about the top ones. The top left one came through last year (I was 30), and it was quite painful. There was room for it to move into a spot where I had a tooth removed in the back. The one on the right hasn't come in yet and if it does there will be no room for it...so I am hoping it just doesn't come through!

• 2 weeks later...

One week before I woke up with my face swollen and a TERRIBLE headache. My mom took me to the Dr and the Dr sent me directly to an oral surgeon. The OS took x-rays and then had me book his next available surgery time. It happened to be on my 16th birthday--the next appointment date after that was 2 weeks later--and I was in so much pain!

School was out the day before...I barely made it through my finals.

I was terribly swollen and BRUISED (looked like my face had been 'worked over' by a real bad guy). The manager at the restaurant I worked at would not schedule me for 3 weeks after the surgery--even with makeup I looked too bad to serve tables.

The worst part (other than my family forgetting to get me any presents, cards or even cake) was that BOTH of my boyfriends;) met each other in my driveway...the first one to visit came a bit late and the second one came early... at least they laughed about it...I was mortified!

The worst part (other than my family forgetting to get me any presents, cards or even cake) was that BOTH of my boyfriends;) met each other in my driveway...the first one to visit came a bit late and the second one came early... at least they laughed about it...I was mortified!

Two boyfriends? Cool!

I had mine out at 18 since they were impacted and we didn't want to ruin my 4-years-in-braces-and-thousands-of-dollars smile. I had the first two out over the summer. No biggie. I went out with some friends that evening and didn't even need pain meds. I had the bottom two out on a weekend home from school. It was aweful. They had to break a tooth to get it out and they injured my jaw in the process. I couldn't open my mouth to get a spoon in for 2 weeks. All I could do was slurp soup and jello.

Mine came in when I was about 21. My son and I were teething at the same time!!:D

Since my ortho problem growing up was too much space between my teeth as opposed to the more common overcrowding, my other teeth just scooted over to make room for the newcomers, I have never had a problem from them.

I just realized this morning that I have a wisdom tooth coming through. What on earth does it think it's doing? I thought that if it hadn't come by now (I'm 30) that it wouldn't come at all and now here it is.

And why do they suddenly decide to come through?

Sarah

They decide to suddenly come through because you have gotten wise.

:D

Just kidding.

That would be a great science project though; why do teeth come in when they do? Mine came in when I was 19yo and I had them removed over my college spring break --- yuck, what a way NOT to spend spring break.