Menu

Dh is buying me a bicycle for Mother's Day-plz help me-what kind would fit my needs?

I know nothing about bikes. I've been riding a 49 yr old men's Schwinn (the one my parents drove me around in a bike seat!) for the last several yrs and the tire finally gave out and we can't find a replacement.

I loved that bike because of the big, wide bouncy seat with strong springs-it's the only one I've ever been able to ride without pain in the crotch area! I looked briefly at Walmart and I see they have some bikes with seats like this (YAY!) but they are "cruisers". I need something with some gears on it, I think. But it is VITAL that it have a seat like my Schwinn.

Now that the kids are older (11 and 8) we want to start doing more biking, and I want to start biking longer distances by myself on the suburban/rural roads around here as an alternative to running (knees getting too old for running!) I don't think we'd be doing anything that would require off road (like a mountain bike).

We also don't want to spend a ton-probably something we can find at Walmart or ToysRUs (actually just cked there-they only have kids' bikes) or somewhere inexpensive like that. He doesn't want to get a bike on Craigslist-he wants to buy me new so there are no unexpected hassles. Thanks for the help!

The last time we bought a bike, the guy at the store told us that "everyone" buys a new seat so the bike companies put a cheap, nasty one on new bikes because they know it will be replaced. You'd think they would just put a better seat on a better bike, but no.

So, the moral of the story is to buy whatever bike, then go to a serious bike store and get a gel seat (they come in different sizes and shapes) possibly even with a gel seat cover. Makes a world of difference.

And be sure to put a plastic bag over it when it might rain because they absorb water and don't dry out.:tongue_smilie:

The type of bike you want is indeed called a cruiser, or sometimes a easy rider. I find those bikes come with comfortable seats.

Since you aren't going to a bike store you wouldn't get much selection. I personally also want a new bike, but my want list is so long and detailed that the bike I want just doesn't exist. :(

And be sure to put a plastic bag over it when it might rain because they absorb water and don't dry out.:tongue_smilie:

And be sure not to let your kitty cat use it as a scratching post in the middle of the night. :glare: This happened to me. :D

so you are only doing rural roads? A cruiser may be what you want. It's ok on flat and rolling hills. My 'hybrid cruiser' has gears and a super wide/comfy seat. I do buy through bike stores though to get the free tuneups(bikes need tuneups every year to keep them going well unless you know how to do it yourself). I paid around $500 for mine but I could have gotten closer to $300 but the pricey one just felt better on the road.

You need to get the right frame size. I am 5' 6" and ride a Medium/17in frame. A bike store can help with this. You don't necessarily need both feet on the ground when standing but at least your toes.

My hybrid was a good choice. It was great for flat roads but I did some beginner mtn biking on it too just fine. I was too high for any serious mtn biking.

You may want at least a front suspension fork with a hard tail frame. If you aren't doing serious mtn riding you really don't need a full suspension.

The advantage of a bike store is going to be tune ups, better fit/products, and weight of the bike. Some of the cheaper big box store bikes have seriously heavy bikes. When you want to ride awhile the weight is a negative. And the parts are cheaper and won't last as long.

As an adult who wants to ride you would be better to get a solid bike that cost a little bit more now than a cheap one you have to replace in a few years. And the bike stores usually offer trade in value on bikes you buy from them. My kids have always had bike store bikes.....I get %50 of the price I paid when I turn it in to buy a new one. I can usually sell the bikes though to friends b/c even after a year or two they are still running well.

my kids just got bikes and one has a shifting problem...the bike store is looking at it this week to fix for free :-)

have fun riding! I just caved and spent tax refund money on a full suspension mtn bike ....and wow(!)....does it ever make a difference in the mtn biking stuff we do! I didn't want to spend the money but it was worth it. I will have this bike at least 10 years before needing to upgrade parts.

If you love the seat on your old bike you can remove it and put it on whatever new bike you buy. I would suggest a sporting goods store if you don't want to go to a bike shop. Somewhere like Sports Authority or Dick's Sporting Goods should have a decent selection of different style bikes that you can ride around the store to try out.

I ride a Trek Navigator 2.0. You can't buy it from Walmart, you would need to go to a Trek store. You can pick up Treks for under $500. I bought my bike, water bottles, water bottle holder, and a riding computer for less than $400.

I ride my Trek on country roads which alternate from concrete to gravel to asphalt. My DH's cruiser doesn't do so well on the gravel and there have been times we have had to change routes so he could maneuver the roads.

Here's a link to the Trek site. Don't pay attention to the MSRP. I paid way less than that for my bike.

I hope you can find a bike that is right for you.

Happy biking!

I would visit a store that will help fit your body to the right frame. Or I did find some sites online, but this was a few years ago.

Getting the frame the right size will make a world of difference. Eons ago I got fitted for a Schwinn. I have short legs and a long torso, so my ideal bike was an odd size (can't remember). Unfortunately we had to sell that bike.

My newest bike is a hybrid from Walmart. Nice bike, but the frame is off and I can't ride for very long before I'm uncomfortable. Thankfully I'll be able to hand it down to ds, as it's a boys bike. The Schwinn I could ride for miles and not struggle.

I would try a sporting good store and see what they have on clearance.

Go to a bike store and explain to them the type of riding you're going to be doing and what your budget is. They will help you select the right style of bike, but most importantly they will help you select the right size of bike.

Getting a correctly sized bike that is set up and adjusted for you is the most important factor that will contribute to comfort and long term happiness with a bike. Once selected, minute adjustments to things like seat height, angle and front/back location can make a world of difference. A good bike shop will have personnel that can interpret your feedback, such as where you're feeling pain and/or numbness and make the adjustments needed to relieve it.

Like other posters have said, you can switch seats/saddles from one bike to another. However, I would caution you that it's not always the softest most cushy saddle that ends up being the most comfortable.

You want a saddle that supports you in the right places, not just one that is super soft or springy. Too much padding can bunch up and cause you pain and/or discomfort.

I would think you would be looking for a hybrid type bike with a more upright riding position. As such, you will want a saddle that's a little wider than average.

I haven't shopped for bikes like this in bike shops lately, but it would surprise me if you couldn't get one for $300 or so. Again, at a bike shop it will be sized and adjusted to fit you. Most likely, it will come with some type of maintenance plan as well.

Also, keep in mind that your backside does need some time to get used to the seat. A bicycle seat, no matter how great and well-adjusted, is still not the couch in the living room. It takes seat time to get used to riding.

We also go to bicycle stores. They can tell you what bike would work best for you. Also they have or are able to order the right seat for you also.

Now for brands we have had great luck with Red Line, Trek, and Diamond Back bicycles. We have just had better luck when we buy a nicer higher quality bike then we do with Walmart bicycles.

As far as someone mentioned getting a gel cover. I do not recommend this. I got one a while back and it shifts all the time, to the point it just became garbage.

My butt never could adjust to a bike seat, no matter how much gel or padding. I LOVE my recumbent bike, my butt is very happy now. Recumbents do cost a bit more than regular bikes but they are worth every penny, at least for me because I can ride more often and for longer stretches on my recumbent than I ever could on a regular bike.

http://www.cyclegenius.com/stx.html

I also recommend bike shorts. They look a tad silly, but the padding makes a world of difference.

A lot of the cycling clothing companies make shorts that have the padded lining contained within a more normal looking pair of shorts. These are marketed more toward mountain bikers than road cyclists. I have one pair made by Zoic and another made by Bellwether. I also have a couple pairs of regular lycra/spandex cycling shorts. As far as comfort goes, they're all the same for me. The regular shorts type have the advantage of being more modest as well as having pockets.

I have a cruiser - and it has 21 speeds. And my seat - it's awesome. I have a Electra Townie - which we got it before they became insanely popular (and expensive). It has been worth every penny we paid. I love riding it and hate when the weather stinks and we can't use it! Try out the cruisers you can find - they are awesome!

Check Craig's List and garage sales!! We got my DD a like-new Trek mountain bike for $25. It's *perfect* and would have been $300 new.

I'm also 49 and learned the hard way through a spinning class and the necessary physical therapy that followed, I need a bike where I can sit upright with good posture. My other lesson was from 15 years ago when dh and I bought WalMart bikes (not Schwinn--those might be fine)--they didn't operate well, we couldn't service them, and we didn't use them much.

Two years ago, I wanted a bike I could use for exercise on the lovely bike trail about a mile from my house. I went to a small locally owned shop and bought this bike: http://www.bikesale.com/giant-suede-w-womens-bike-2011.aspx. I've never spent that much on a single item for myself, but I've now ridden over 200 miles injury free and without saddle pain :lol: I LOVE my bike. It was worth every penny. I knew when I bought it that at my age, if the bike wasn't good enough to make cycling a success, I might never buy another bike in my lifetime :001_huh:. I vote for getting the perfect bike if you can at all afford it.

Beth