Menu

History curriculum question...TQ, MOH, or other?

I have a 10yo (4th) and 8yo (2nd) that do History together. Next year my other dd will be 6yo and ready to start History although I may wait a year so we can all go through Ancients together.

We are currently using TruthQuest AHYS 1. I'm planning on going through the AHYS books and was going to switch to MOH Vol 1 to go through again from the Ancient times.

Looking at MOH 1, it looks like they don't cover Ancient Egypt or Greeks like TQ does. But the TQ guides for the Ancients aren't for younger children. Ideally I want something like MOH that can easily be multi-level and cover Egypt and Greeks. We've done SOTW before and I'm not sure I want to use it again.

Is there something that I don't know of that would fit my requirements?

MOH1 does cover Egypt and the Greeks. There are a few lessons for each, although not necessarily in order, KWIM? That was the one thing I did not like about MOH...too scattered. But, MOH is a great curriculum to use w/ multiple ages/grades. Even your 6yo could get something out of it.

Another option is MFW. You said you might wait a year to do Ancients so your 6yo could get more out of it. Why not do a year of Geography using MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures and then move into Ancients with MOH1 or even MFW Creation to Greeks? ECC is perfect for your age group. The 6yo can even join in and learn! Lots of the books are on her level. We are doing MFW ECC next year w/ a 6th, 5th, 3rd and 2nd grader. That's just one option. I don't have any experience with TQ to compare. We did use MOH this year and will finish it next spring in preparation for MFW Rome to Ref. Life just got in the way this spring and we had to put MOH on hold for a while.

BTW..I think it's great that you are practicing to be a midwife and are a doula! When my kids are a bit older, I've already told my midwife I might like to start apprenticing under her!

Thanks for the MOH review! I really don't want something that jumps around.

I will take a look at MFW. We haven't done much Geography so I think that might be a good option.

I guess I'm just getting confused and feeling lost as to how History is done with multiple ages. I've been able to manage two just fine since they are pretty close in age. Now that my third dd will be ready soon and in a few years my ds will be, my head is spinning. I don't really feel like I know where we are going which frustrates me! lol

That's great you're looking towards an apprenticeship!! :) It's such a great job to have!!!

Thanks for the MOH review! I really don't want something that jumps around.

I will take a look at MFW. We haven't done much Geography so I think that might be a good option.

I guess I'm just getting confused and feeling lost as to how History is done with multiple ages. I've been able to manage two just fine since they are pretty close in age. Now that my third dd will be ready soon and in a few years my ds will be, my head is spinning. I don't really feel like I know where we are going which frustrates me! lol

That's great you're looking towards an apprenticeship!! :) It's such a great job to have!!!

MOH doesn't "jump around" all THAT much. It really is a great curriculum. The one instance I can think of is that there was a lesson on The Trojan Horse right after the section on Egypt and then there were several more lessons before it got to Ancient Greece. MFW is really good, too. I read in your other post about Geography that you just wanted Geography, not something like MFW that is all-inclusive. For us, it simplifies things. I found it difficult to "coordinate" all the dc in one curriculum w/out having it all laid out for me, KWIM? That was one of the major draws for me to MFW. AND, I loved how Bible was already included (that was a weak area of ours this past year) as well as Science (studying habitats along with different areas of the world just made sense to me!). Anyway, good luck find that "perfect fit"!

WinterPromise schedules MOH along with lit and activities.

Ditto. Meaning - WP schedules MOH by civilization and not necessarily in chronological order. It adds literature as well, and you can purchase just the IG if you wish. (As opposed to an entire Sonlight-type package.)

We use MOH here and love it! We've supplemented - out of WANT, not need - with a lapbooking project here and there. Hands of a Child has some great ones; we used the one on mummies and loved it! We're waiting on our WP guide to arrive now, mostly because I want a literature based program with plenty of hands-on activities (including cut and paste notebooking, which is also an option with WP).

I'm confused with WP. Where is the History stuff on their website??

So I'd have to purchase WP materials AND MOH??

Quest for the Ancient World (with MOH1) and Quest for the Middle Ages (with MOH2) are listed under Themed Programs.

MOH is included in the purchase price. But, yes, the other materials WP pulled together compliment MOH, so you have illustrated books, literature, timeline and notebooking activities to go with the MOH study.

The TQ commentary for ancients is for olders, but the booklists cover all the grades. I've found good books there, but that's only useful if you like to buy oop, older books. I suggest you look at VP instead. It would give you the spine you're looking for and let you plug in literature like you're used to. VP's coverage of ancients is clearer than MOH, not jumbled.