Menu

Language Arts help for 3rd grade- FLL vs. MCT

Alice

Currently we are using FLL 2 and WWE2. I like them both fine. I don't love FLL but I feel like it gets the job done and I like that it's simple and easy. I'm comfortable adapting it for our needs. I like WWE a lot and would like to stick with the series. Ds doesn't like either all that much but I think it's more the subject than the curriculum. I do think they are working fine for him and he's learning, even if he isn't enjoying either all that much.

However, I can't help having the grass is greener over there syndrome now that it's time to purchase curriculum for next year. I've thought about MCT after seeing all the rave reviews. I have to admit thought that from looking at it online I don't really get it. What I looked at seemed fine but not as fabulous and fun as I keep reading here.

For those who use MCT, what about it really is so fabulous?

For those who do FLL 3 or higher are you happy with it?

Can I use just the parts that would be extra and keep with FLL/WWE as our primary grammar and writing programs? I'm thinking about the vocabulary and poetry books as just extras.

I should also maybe add that we do Lively Latin which has quite a bit of grammar in it for his age so I don't really want to add a third program. It would be one or the other.

We just made the switch from FLL to MCT. My oldest was almost finished with WWE 4 but was grumbling and complaining constantly. He hates diagramming. My middle son was using GWG 2 but didn't seem to be retaining much. I was going to start FLL 3 with him in the fall but decided to it was time to try something different from the traditional workbook approach with both boys.

I can honestly say the change has been amazing! They are engaged in our discussions and totally get into when we analyze the sentences from Sentence Island (we do these orally.) They've actually asked to do additional sentences. They're even tolerating the poetry book, which I was hesitant to begin. I'm discovering that they both really enjoy the interaction that we all having during our reading and discussions when we use MCT.

I still love FLL and will probably work out a combo MCT/FLL for next year but we're definitely loving MCT.