Menu

Adapting to new progressive lens glasses

So, at my last eye appt., the dr. gently told me I was on the borderline for needing *gasp* bifocals! Because I didn't want to have 2 pair of glasses to keep track of, I opted for the progressive lenses (the invisible bifocals). I just got them today and I think I'm gonna die before I get used to these. Seriously, I was walking around and the room felt like it was spinning or the floor was moving. Driving was insane. I have to hold my head at a different angle or posture in order to see clearly. Will I ever get used to these or should I ditch them and opt for the separate reading glasses and distance glasses? :confused:

Yes you will get used to them but it can take days or a week. You need to wear them all the time and your brain will make the adjustments. Just when I thought I'd never get used to mine the brain kicked in and all was well. Sometimes you have to look out of a certain part of the glasses if you are at a funny angle but that dizzy stuff will stop. I'll be thinking of you.

I asked the optician about these this week because I too (Gasp!) have reached the point where I am going to need bifocals. She assured me that your eye adjust to them after a couple of weeks. I will be watching this thread to see what others who have tried them think because those puppies are not cheap!

At my optometrist they had a deal where your 2nd pair was 50% and they helped me find discontinued frames. So the 2nd pair was very reasonable. I wear old fashioned bifocals. I wore them as a child, so I have no age issues with wearing them now. My second pair are computer glasses. I love them and keep they by the computer.

Ha, I have TRI-focals . . . it's a bird, it's a plane, it's alpha centauri! I have the contacts and the glasses, and while I didn't have as much trouble as you, the glasses are defnitely harder to adjust to than the contacts. One day is nothing, though, give it some time.

Who needs to go to the amusement park when you get your very own fun house that goes everywhere you go!?!

It was an adjustment for me, going from single vision to progressive lenses, but it's pretty amazing how quickly your brain adjusts and compensates, and then it's like you've seen that way forever.

And then you have to *pay* for a ride instead of having your own built-in one. :glare:

I took me about three weeks of daily migraines and odd posture and head angles before I got used to them. But once it all clicked in my brain (I guess that was what happened) I really like them. I don't even notice it anymore because I am used to them.

But you have to wear them all the time. Even though you may be tempted to give yourself a break by wearing your old glasses, don't do it. You will just delay the adjustment.

:grouphug:I couldn't adjust to the progressive lenses. Days and days of migraines, nearly falling down the stairs, bumping into things, and all around blurry vision sent me running back to the eye doctor. My prescription was wrong.

I hope you can adjust with a little effort and time.

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to them and I've had them for 10 years now and love them. One thing that helped me that the optometrist said, "Point your nose at what you want to look at." Don't try looking out of the sides of your lenses. At first you have to think about it, but it will become second nature. Keep trying, it just takes awhile :grouphug: I found it was worse for me outside. It felt like the ground was sloping away from me.

Mary

So, at my last eye appt., the dr. gently told me I was on the borderline for needing *gasp* bifocals! Because I didn't want to have 2 pair of glasses to keep track of, I opted for the progressive lenses (the invisible bifocals). I just got them today and I think I'm gonna die before I get used to these. Seriously, I was walking around and the room felt like it was spinning or the floor was moving. Driving was insane. I have to hold my head at a different angle or posture in order to see clearly. Will I ever get used to these or should I ditch them and opt for the separate reading glasses and distance glasses? :confused:

It took me a day or two (last week) to get used to mine. now they are fine.

How are progressive contacts? I'd really like them for exercising. I get tired of my glasses bumping up and down on my nose but I also have to write down my reps/weights used so I need to be able to close up. With my regular contacts, I can't see anything close up.

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to them and I've had them for 10 years now and love them. One thing that helped me that the optometrist said, "Point your nose at what you want to look at." Don't try looking out of the sides of your lenses. At first you have to think about it, but it will become second nature. Keep trying, it just takes awhile :grouphug: I found it was worse for me outside. It felt like the ground was sloping away from me.

Mary

Yes! At first it seemed so unnatural to move my head to look at something but now it's just automatic.

Took me about a month to adjust the first time, and I spent lots of time tripping over cracks in the sidewalk. Now, I cannot imagine not having progressives.

Day 3 of the "fun house" glasses and I'm not thrilled but trying to adjust. I hate that I have to walk with a completely new posture. Playing baseball with my son today was awkward and I kept thinking, "I know I'm gonna get clobbered in the head." Driving is easier now, but not great. Still not thrilled with the reading/computer aspect. I *think* the Rx is correct...def. better than my other glasses. Sweeping the floor? I felt like I was gonna faint. Hate having to actually move my head to look at stuff instead of just moving my eyes. Ugh.

Day 3 of the "fun house" glasses and I'm not thrilled but trying to adjust. I hate that I have to walk with a completely new posture. Playing baseball with my son today was awkward and I kept thinking, "I know I'm gonna get clobbered in the head." Driving is easier now, but not great. Still not thrilled with the reading/computer aspect. I *think* the Rx is correct...def. better than my other glasses. Sweeping the floor? I felt like I was gonna faint. Hate having to actually move my head to look at stuff instead of just moving my eyes. Ugh.

You poor thing! One thing to consider, if this doesn't get significantly better in the next week or so, is that although the prescription could be right, it's possible that the glasses were not made correctly.

It took me about a week to adjust, and I was miserable. My son commented that "those glasses are like a horcrux -- every time you put them on you get very grumpy." I want my young eyes back!

I adjusted pretty quickly to these, but there were some residual effects.

One was that for about a year whenever I went hiking I didn't have the right depth perception in uneven terrain. I actually bought those hiking poles to help.

The other is that I started to get very dizzy doing down stairs, all the time. I was starting to think that I was getting frail and elderly, and then I realized that the problem was that I was looking down through the reading part of the glasses, so everything was 'off'. For some reason, figuring this out pretty much fixed it.

It took me a day or two (last week) to get used to mine. now they are fine.

How are progressive contacts? I'd really like them for exercising. I get tired of my glasses bumping up and down on my nose but I also have to write down my reps/weights used so I need to be able to close up. With my regular contacts, I can't see anything close up.

:lurk5:

I would like to hear about the progressive contacts as well. Running with glasses is a pain.

I've been stubbornly refusing to get progressive lenses, but lately have found more of a need. I get headaches from shopping because I can't see stuff up close without removing my glasses (I'm near-sighted).

I adjusted pretty quickly to these, but there were some residual effects.

One was that for about a year whenever I went hiking I didn't have the right depth perception in uneven terrain. I actually bought those hiking poles to help.

The other is that I started to get very dizzy doing down stairs, all the time. I was starting to think that I was getting frail and elderly, and then I realized that the problem was that I was looking down through the reading part of the glasses, so everything was 'off'. For some reason, figuring this out pretty much fixed it.

I had these issues, too. I'm thinking about getting glasses with regular lenses so that when I'm riding my bike and need to look down at the road in front of me, I'm not looking through the reading part.

I've worn progressive lenses for about 7 years now. My first steps into them were very poor. Fitting progressives is an art and not every optician is good at it. Also, not every brand of progressives are equal. Some are better than others. If you are having trouble adjusting, and you find yourself looking for one field more than another, you might want to see about getting an adjustment so you have that field more in your line of vision.

I also have multifocal contact lenses. These are wonderful!! But, I do have some depth perception problems. Last time we went hiking, I also took a walking stick and that really helped. It is worse at night. It only affects looking down, not looking out.

You should go get an adjutment. Is there a lot of space between the bottom of your lenses and your cheek? It's important that they sit close, and on a bit of an inward turning angle (about 7-10degrees). They need to fit pretty close to your eyes.

Progressives are really finicky for adjustments, and there are several different kinds. I would stop in at a place you didn't buy them, get them to figure out what brand they are, and ask if it's a good make, and well suited to your prescription.

Be wary if someone tries to adjust your progressives without "dotting them up". There are hidden markings on the lens that allow the optician to figure out the part of the lens that is supposed to be sitting right in front of your eye. They should be making a plus-sign (or some other symbol) that sits directing in front of your pupil. Look in a mirror yourself to make sure it does. If it's a few millimeters out, it can make a huge difference.

For at your computer, regular progressives just generally aren't fun. There are progressives available specifically for at your desk, or this might be something you'd like to give bifocals a go for, getting the upper area made for your intermediate vision.

As to multifocal contact lenses, they work well for most people (I don't know if they make them for those with astigmatism now, they didn't used to so that excluded them from being an option for many). You could also go for monovision (one eye for reading, one for distance). You tend to lose a line of visual acuity for the mutifocal contacts. Some are bothered by this, some aren't.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Bumping this old post - Sue, how are those progressive lenses working out?

I just got mine yesterday (expensive ones to boot). Not happy. I want line bifocals. I want to see clearly out of the whole lense. I'll be patient, but this better work. It doesn't make sense to me that it doesn't work from the beginning. Please tell me it got better :) The "sweet spot" for the computer isn't working for me yet...

:tongue_smilie:

• 12 years later...