Menu

Moving back east and living and schooling peripatetically--how can we stay legal?

Hello! I haven't been active on the board in a while, but some old-timers may still be around who remember me.

We are finally taking the leap and moving back east. I'm taking leave for a year, putting our household goods in storage, and we are going to devote that time to searching for our "forever home" while staying with our parents--my folks in Arlington and Delaware (they split their time between two homes), and my inlaws in Williamsburg, VA. We aren't planning on finding a place of our own until next spring--we are seriously thinking about the Charlottesville area. We'll be alternating weeks or months from one location to the other, as well as travelling all around the mid-atlantic finding a great place to live.

Question: Since we are going to have no fixed address, and divide our time in two different states, what should we do homeschooling-wise? Less paperwork is better, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks!

Will you be changing your residency (i.e., getting a driver's license or registering to vote in one of the new states)? If not, you may be able to keep going under the rules where you are now until you have an official new permanent residence. I'm not 100% sure about that, though. Maybe someone else will know!

Question: Since we are going to have no fixed address, and divide our time in two different states, what should we do homeschooling-wise? Less paperwork is better, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say wherever your primary residency (for tax purposes) is would be your legal state for homeschool requirements. It could get sticky moving back and forth, though, since technically the kids would be changing school districts. In the case of ps enrollment, you'd have to re-enroll each time there was a move rather than just a "vacation." If it were me, I'd choose a primary residence in the state with which I am the most familiar, and just treat the "moving" like vacations instead of relocations. JMHO:sneaky2:

I don't really think of myself as an "old-timer," but I guess I am, and I certainly remember you. :001_smile:

I would guess that you'd follow whatever hs laws apply in whatever state you will claim as your legal residence. Will you change your driver's licenses? In what state will you file taxes for time?

On the one hand, if you're living somewhere temporarily, it's arguable what state has jurisdiction over your hsing. But just to keep everything legit, I'd file somewhere where I could at least make a decent argument that I'm a resident.

Charlottesville. Lovely!!!! We're a couple of hours away and have been there several times.:auto:

We have had to do this a couple times when we were in the middle of military moves. I tended to consider our in between time as "vacation" or road school and not as an interim place that I needed to register in.

However, if VA is a less complicated place to homeschool, then I would be tempted to just switch over, using the grandparents' address. If it's about the same, then I would wait until the new school year to register.

Where will you be moving mail to?

ps. I definitely remember you too. But I think you changed your avatar.

OK - I am going by memory (which should speak for itself), but DH ran into an organization based in SC that lets you create your own school and then run under some super loose rules. It is used a great deal by people who travel internationally and I think can also be used for people in your situation. Maybe someone else has some more information about the program, but I think it is really aimed at people in your situation.

I'd say to just use one of your parents homes or your in-laws as your permanent address. Where will you be receiving your mail and such? That's the address I would use.

If it's in Va, then just send in an NOI (Notice of Intent to homeschool) to that address's school district. That is the same place you will turn in your year end testing or evaluation (by August 15).

There is no need to actually be physically there, just consider yourselves on extended vacations. They just need your NOI and your year end information which can be sent from anywhere.

Charlottesville is a great place to homeschool BTW! We just moved away from there. There are a couple of different wonderful co-ops, lots of activities and no traffic!

Personally, I would treat this as an extended field trip and continue to operate according to the laws that apply to your state of legal residence.

Even if you are not a fan on HSLDA, it might be worth it to you to join formthe year, so you would have representation if necessary. I would also keep very good written records in case they need to be shown. I've had occasion to show that membership card (as well as one from my state organization).

Are you worried about getting reported by your parents' neighbors?

Not an old-timer, but my two cents anyhow:

Even if you are taking some time to travel and be nomadic, for legal purposes you will still need a home address. Where will you be registered to vote? In which state will your vehicles be registered? To which state will you pay income taxes? Where will your bank account be located? Where will your bills be sent? Where will you receive your mail?

You may choose to keep your current state for this purpose or you may choose to change to a different state. When I did some research on full-time RVing and living on the road it was suggested that you choose a home state based upon factors that made the most sense to your family (taxes, residency requirements, insurance rates, homeschooling regulations if applicable, etc.). There are certain states that even cater to this kind of lifestyle and you can find services to rent you a PO box, forward your mail, renew your driver's licenses, and so forth for you.

In short, I think in general you really need to pick a permanent state of residence (even if it's just a PO Box) and then oblige by the regulations of that given state.

We used to live in VA, a very easy state to homeschool in. We had to send a letter to the superintendent every year about intent to homeschool, and then send test scores or evaluation letter at the end of the year. I would pick one of the Virginia addresses, probably the Williamsburg one (some counties in DC area were problematic way back then, but don't know if they are now). You will need to have an address for driver's licenses and voting anyway.