Menu

What is good writing curriculum?

aspear

Looking for any good suggestions on creative writing curriculums for my daughters this coming year. One is going into 7th and one into 5th. Second year of homeschooling and wasn't happy with Sonlight's this past year. My 5th grader really needs help on composition in general and sentence structure. My 7th grader loves creative writing and needs more assignments along that line. Thanks for any advice!

Abby

PS: I am putting this on the general board also, not sure if this is the best forum for this question, sorry it if is not!

I would put this on the Logic Form, you'll get more responses there! I know there are several creative writing curricula...in fact, SWB will be publishing one this Fall. I believe someone listed them in the Logic FOrum last week so you might look at some writing threads on the first few pages.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, that's a loaded question! :) There are so many great curricula out there. It also depends on the needs of the individual student. Some children, evidently, learn really well with Sonlight's LA program, some do better with Rod & Staff, etc. Personally, we've switched to IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing) because that's the answer that came up most when I was researching for an effective program to use with my special needs daughter. However, we're so new to it that I can't really say much about it at this point.

Perhaps the questions you need to answer for yourself are:

*How much time do you want to spend on it: daily? weekly?

*How much prep time do you want/can you handle?

*How will (this or that program) work with (this or that child)? Will it meet her needs or just make her frustrated?

*What are your expectations for said student in a year, two years, three years?

Perhaps if you know the answers to those questions first, you may then have a better answer to which ONE of the MANY curricula out there is best for you.

Hope that helps!