Menu

pet mice? bunnies? aka I really hope my kids have no follow through

My kids were talking about new pets; one wants a bunny, the other wants a mouse. I told them they would have to research how practical those pets would be, and buy them and their food.

Any experienced owners want to weigh in? We have one indoor cat and several outdoor kitties (strays that we have had fixed, immunized, etc). Is the cat going to freak out over a mouse in a cage? Indoor kitty is lazy and not much of a hunter; she will usually ignore lizards and bugs. The outdoor kitties think lizards exist for their amusement - they do sometimes come into the living room; will they smell the mouse in another room and go for it?

What about the cute lil' bunnies, are they as destructive as I've heard? Can they be trained?

Our cats would eat them both. Would you have the bunny running around with the cats?

Oh, indoor kitty wouldn't attack a dust bunny, much less a real one, lol. We would definitely not have a bunny running around by the outdoor kitties, just in case. I was thinking potential bunnies would be out and about only when someone was available to watch over them a bit; don't know if that's practical.

We had a mouse for 3.5 minutes. It squeezed through the cage bars (they are very much like roaches that way) and disappeared into our pantry for 4 months. Once we returned him to the cage, our cat regularly bashed into it like a hockey player. Poor mouse. I'd still take a mouse over a bunny, though.

We had a mouse for 3.5 minutes. It squeezed through the cage bars (they are very much like roaches that way) and disappeared into our pantry for 4 months. Once we returned him to the cage, our cat regularly bashed into it like a hockey player. Poor mouse. I'd still take a mouse over a bunny, though.

omg, the roach comparison might have killed the mouse idea, lol. I cannot bear any resemblance to those vile creatures.

I was picturing more of an aquarium setup rather than cage bars; impractical? I'd really want the little sucker securely packed away.

omg, the roach comparison might have killed the mouse idea, lol. I cannot bear any resemblance to those vile creatures.

I was picturing more of an aquarium setup rather than cage bars; impractical? I'd really want the little sucker securely packed away.

Actually that is exactly what we wound up doing after the cagebreak. That setup had the added benefit of keeping the smell contained. Mice drink a lot and are stinkier than hamsters. Hardier, though. We went through 4 hamsters in a year before we gave up on them.

Actually that is exactly what we wound up doing after the cagebreak. That setup had the added benefit of keeping the smell contained. Mice drink a lot and are stinkier than hamsters. Hardier, though. We went through 4 hamsters in a year before we gave up on them.

Yeah, okay, you are doing a great job of talking me out of mice, lol!

The funny thing is, I just commented on the lizard thread that I never thought of an anole as a pet, b/c there are always dozens in the yard and usually a couple in the house. dd wants a mouse at home, but she's never too excited about the many mice that show up at our camp! :lol:

bunnies can be litterbox trained nut their urine smell is still strong. You need to trim their nails, give them adequate room in their cage if not allowing them daily exercise out of the cage. Many do not like being held but will happily sit on your lap or near you while playing out of the cage. We clean their litterboxes daily! Bunnies can live anyhwere from 5-15 years.

Mice are much smaller, less likley to enjoy being held and can be stinky(mainly the boys). Need smaller spacing and live a much shorter time. Mice live anywhere from 1-4 years.

So, I agree that you need to plan this out and I would recommend helping your children research the different pets and their needs though.

Have fun.

In all seriousness, rabbits are A LOT of work. Sure, they are cute and we've loved all of ours. But they require lots of brushing, daily litter box cleaning (for in door rabbits), and constant supervision if you let them out to run because they will find every electrical cord you own! ;)

They need pellets, daily hay, and fresh veggies each day too-not cheap!

Males usually need neutered by 6 mos or they spray pee and can get aggressive and females need spayed to prevent cancer.

Don't take bunnies lightly-you will regret it!

Happy pet research :)