Menu

334 pages of lurkers?!?

I was just trying to look something up on the members list, and discovered there are 334 PAGES of members with ZERO posts. Not 334 members, but 334 pages of members names. Why are there so many lurkers who have never once posted? :confused: Does this bother anyone besides me?

There have been many message boards that have looked interesting to me, so I registered, then got a better "feel" for it after registering and lurking for a bit, and I never went back.

I'm sure that's what many of those zero-post users are.

It sure sounds like a lot - but if I think about it I have registered on many websites over the years that I didn't end up using. Just as an example, I went through the whole Pandora registration two days ago only to realize that Pandora won't work outside of the US. Instead of going back & going through the process of cancelling my account, I just closed the active tab in my browser. Not sure how many forums I have registered on and then not posted, however.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to register to read, so there could be many more lurkers than that. I guess that is the downside to public forums.

Whoops, someone else posted before I hit submit, so sorry if this is a repeat.

Some folks may come and look around, then decide it is not for them.

Some admit to being long time lurkers; they want to read but don't want to talk.

If you find that a lot have come on board since March of this year, then they may be coming to see what's being said about the convention controversy.....

That is just people who registered and didn't post.

If you go down to the bottom of the intro page (where you get to pick which forum you want to read) you will see a list of those who are online at any actual moment in time. There are often hundreds of 'guests' or people who are reading without registering at any given moment.

I used to be one of those. I read here, especially when planning, for years and years. I only registered and posted when I realized I had enough experience that I could answer some of the questions I was reading.

That used to be me. I registered a long time ago thinking I'd post, but then panicked because everyone seemed to know more than me. So I never posted even though sometimes I wanted too. I think I started putting my toes in the water late February but still feel like everyone knows more than me.

I promise though, I'm not scary, just shy.:)

I think they are still included if they never confirmed their accounts. So if it was a bot using a fake email address then they could never email confirm.

Some are likely real people who never came back or like to lurk but some (and I would hazard to guess at least 300 pages of them) are likely bots who failed.

Edited by Sis

Anybody can read this forum without registering at all, so I'd venture a guess that there are more lurkers than that. It doesn't bother me...I have no illusions that this is anything other than a totally public place.

:iagree:

Every bit of information we share here is public.

I am not bothered by it.

I'm still trying to meet my 50 posts goal! :D

Hoping I'll get some sort of special prize when I do! :hurray:

Honestly though, I love reading but don't have that much to say yet. Just starting to get my feel around the boards.

I am loving the wealth of information here!

:party:

That used to be me. I registered a long time ago thinking I'd post, but then panicked because everyone seemed to know more than me. So I never posted even though sometimes I wanted too. I think I started putting my toes in the water late February but still feel like everyone knows more than me.

It's nice to see other people in the same boat, so don't worry about not knowing more than you wish you knew. Does that make sense? :tongue_smilie:

I suspect this is the case for a lot of people. I imagine these boards must be intimidating to newcomers. I for one am glad I jumped in when they were still in their infancy. Glad to see you're braver than I am!

Me, too. I registered ages ago, started lurking a long time after, but only just started posting (am I still "just visiting?") :)

I imagine these boards must be intimidating to newcomers.
Yes, very intimidating, as I posted on the newcomers thread today. I lurked without signing up for months. Then, when I finally signed up, I didn't do an introduction because I thought it highly likely that my post would get buried anyhow and nobody would notice, LOL.

ETA: These are great forums for lurking. There is just so much interesting stuff to read about, that you never miss posting.