Menu

Paypal question

I have the regular account, not the business one.

Recently someone needed to send me money and she used Paypal and they took maybe $6 as a surcharge. It turned out that she'd funded the payment with a credit card.

If someone sends me payment but it is directly from their checking account will I still get a surcharge?

This is for my food co-op and I'd like to know so that I can set a permanent policy about accepting Paypal or not.

Thanks!

I have the regular account, not the business one.

Recently someone needed to send me money and she used Paypal and they took maybe $6 as a surcharge. It turned out that she'd funded the payment with a credit card.

If someone sends me payment but it is directly from their checking account will I still get a surcharge?

This is for my food co-op and I'd like to know so that I can set a permanent policy about accepting Paypal or not.

Thanks!

No, but be careful about exceeding the set amount of cc payment accepted in a calendar year. At some point they will "upgrade" your account.

When I have folks pay via paypal I do say non-cc paypal only.

In paypal, prior to accepting their payment you can look at their payment and see whether or not they used a credit card. If they use a cc, it will show up as such and then you can just not accept their payment.

Carole

Also go to paypal, they have a new policy that just came out that states something like you can not specify the types of paypal you will or will not except. It might only be for ebay, I did not read the whole thing. Might be a good idea to go and check just in case.

Also go to paypal, they have a new policy that just came out that states something like you can not specify the types of paypal you will or will not except. It might only be for ebay, I did not read the whole thing. Might be a good idea to go and check just in case.

That's good to know, thanks.

I guess they're trying to make more money off their users.

Shocking....:glare:

I wouldn't do it unless she uses the free one that seems to only have a $500 monthly limit. If you allow the debit card (which is not the same as instant transfer even if it is from the same account) you are only allowed 5 per year on a Personal Account AND the fees are 4.9% plus $0.30 !

This must be why the first one had a fee.

A $50 payment would be an additional $2.75,

an $80 payment would be $4.22 and

a $120 payment would be $6.18!

Here is a link:

Paypal Limits on your account

dagger1.gifYour limit is reset every month, starting from the date you opened your account. Your account was opened on **********. To remove the Receiving Limit from your account you will need to upgrade to a Business or Premier Account...

What do these limits mean?

Receiving limit($500.00 USD monthly): The maximum amount you can receive before you must upgrade to a Business or Premier account. This limit is reset every month. Receiving limits apply only to the following payment types: eBay Items, Auction Goods (non-eBay), and other Goods. No other payment types affect your receiving limit.

Debit or credit card acceptance limit:

As long as you are within your monthly receiving limit, you can accept up to five debit or credit card payments per year at our low per transaction rate. See our fees

Receive payments funded by PayPal Balance, PayPal Instant Transfer or PayPal eCheck

Personal Account-

Free

Premier/Business Account-

Monthly Sales Price Per Transaction $0.00 USD-$3,000.00 USD 2.9% + $0.30 USD $3,000.01 USD-$10,000.00 USD 2.5% + $0.30 USD $10,000.01 USD-$100,000.00 USD 2.2% + $0.30 USD > $100,000.00 USD 1.9% + $0.30 USDdagger1.gif

Receive payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit

Personal Account-

4.9% + $0.30 US dagger2.gif (limit of 5 transactions per 12 month period)** for domestic or U.S. transactions

Premier/Business Account

Monthly Sales Price Per Transaction $0.00 USD-$3,000.00 USD 2.9% + $0.30 USD $3,000.01 USD-$10,000.00 USD 2.5% + $0.30 USD $10,000.01 USD-$100,000.00 USD 2.2% + $0.30 USD > $100,000.00 USD 1.9% + $0.30 USDdagger1.gif