Menu

How do I help ds8 go deeper in science when it is not my thing?

HappyGrace

Ds8 is not advanced or anything-his reading, etc., is probably right on level. He is bright with math, and I think he will have a real knack with science and is quite interested in it, has the personality to end up with a career in it. We've so far always mostly unschooled science-lots of reading, etc.

He needs more than that though. He asks a lot of deep questions and I think I'm holding him back. In other related things too-for instance, there is a Lego WeDo robotics camp around here, but he can't do it because he has never been on the computer so he wouldn't be able to understand the programming part.

So how do I help this dc go deeper in science and related fields (computer)? (He has never showed interest in the computer, and I don't know anything about it at all, but I can see he will need it.) For science-what do I need-some kind of curriculum? Maybe Singapore Science? All I know to do for science is read. It's so lame.

Older dd did fine with the reading approach. But this boy needs more. HELP!

BFSU

It gives you all of the in-depth information you could ever want to teach your child, along with labs, writing activities and book suggestions to go along with the lesson. Very meaty material for the very science-oriented kid.

And it is only $30 for 3 years of material.

If you want to stay on the unschooling side of things... try kits and experiments! Our library has a ton of experiment books, so sometimes we'll check out a book related to something he's interested in and spend a week or two doing experiments and checking out books related to the experiments (like if you're doing weather experiments, you could check out books about clouds, lightning, Ben Franklin, tornadoes, etc.). I let him create his own experiments, too, and he's learned about the scientific process. Also, snap circuits can have a computer component if you get some of the kits. They have an instructional book they sell with it. K'Nex also have an educational side to them.

FWIW, I couldn't stand BFSU. I tried. I did. I just couldn't get my brain wrapped around it.

Have fun :)

Agh-I have had it on my shelf for a year-can't make heads or tails of how to put it to practical use!

The philosophy takes a bit more to grasp, but the lessons are very straightforward. Figuring out the order of the lessons can also be intimidating. You really just have to go straight to the first lesson. Look at lesson A/B-1. Look at the materials list to make sure you have what you need. Then read the lesson. It tells you exactly what you need to do, say and ask your children. It tells you what you want your children to understand and how to help them to get there. Some people like to make up note cards. I like to just use a highlighter. Once you finish that lesson, then go to C-1, then D-1. I cycled through in this way for six months before I actually made a schedule for myself.

At some point, go back and read the introduction and try to understanding the underlying philosophy. But if that is what is holding you up, then just skip it. There is so much that is useful in the lessons.

BFSU

It gives you all of the in-depth information you could ever want to teach your child, along with labs, writing activities and book suggestions to go along with the lesson. Very meaty material for the very science-oriented kid.

And it is only $30 for 3 years of material.

What does BFSU stand for?

Ds8 is not advanced or anything-his reading, etc., is probably right on level. He is bright with math, and I think he will have a real knack with science and is quite interested in it, has the personality to end up with a career in it. We've so far always mostly unschooled science-lots of reading, etc.

He needs more than that though. He asks a lot of deep questions and I think I'm holding him back. In other related things too-for instance, there is a Lego WeDo robotics camp around here, but he can't do it because he has never been on the computer so he wouldn't be able to understand the programming part.

I've run a WeDo program and can say that a good number of the kids who were signed up had no clue about computers - they knew what a computer is, but to use it and program - nope...that's the point of WeDo - to introduce kids to the concept of the connection between the "virtual" and the "real" world. Instructors in WeDo camps take kids step-by-step through each thing the kids do - from how to build the robots, to how they'll use the mouse to point & click, to helping them understand the function of each icon on the screen they can choose from....seriously if he wants an INTRO to basic robotics, specifically designed for 7-10 year olds (I've had as young as five in my program) - sign him up!

So how do I help this dc go deeper in science and related fields (computer)? (He has never showed interest in the computer, and I don't know anything about it at all, but I can see he will need it.) For science-what do I need-some kind of curriculum? Maybe Singapore Science? All I know to do for science is read. It's so lame.

Don't kick yourself!

Science can be a heck of a lot of fun! It can also be frustrating for someone who isn't science-y.

Step outside your comfort zone - remember, you're using an unschooling approach, and take a deep breath, then think about this - at it's core, science is truly unschooling at it's best....it is trial and error, investigating and exploring the "why" in this world, and learning by doing, failing and succeeding. Sure you can read about it - but doing it is a much better teacher!

Use the books as the basis of the information needed to begin the exploration deeper into a topic - use it as reference about the "why" - use it as a tool....a piece of a much bigger picture to learn about.

You don't need a curriculum for that....what you do need is the basic science information to discuss with your DS, a starting point to learn about a subject to use as a springboard to learn more by doing.

Online you can download, for FREE, CPO Science books in PDF format - both the student textbook and workbook. If these work out, you can always buy the books later - but at least you can try them for free, ya know? They're considered science for 6th to 8th grade....to me more information isn't a bad thing - if your child likes the *meat on the bone* it'll be a good resource, if it's too much - information overload - that's actually okay too.....at 8 he doesn't have to remember everything in the books, but they do give him a lot of bang to start with! You can use what you need and leave the rest for later as he gets older and develops a base of knowledge to dig even deeper.

Then look for innovative and creative ways to learn more - here's an example...Away You Go (physcial science - friction). While the experiments and labs you'll find in a textbook or curriculum package are good - sometimes you can find better things to do by poking around online for things not included in the books. There are so many neat things you can find to do online - use your internet to work for you! ordering science kits is another way to do thiings - someone has already figured out what you need and you just click and order....arrives....DO!

I also have BFSU - but I don't use it as a curriculum - I do like the flow of the topics, they make sense in what areas are connected and which comes first order....but as a curriculum, not for me. I do use the flowchart when it makes sense, read through the section and sometimes use the suggested activities - but it's not our curriculum. Nor is RS4K's that I have - and again, use for a tool and getting ideas.

Basically, for us, I've found creating our own thing works for us...I use the texts and curriculum I have for ideas and for information to discuss with DS and help him learn the basics --- then we DO....and that's really what he loves, the doing - and it's in the doing that he retains what we've read or talked about....because once you do something, it's harder to forget!

Thanks, everyone! I feel encouraged!

The problem with BFSU is that most of the questions ds asks are the type that BFSU has in the "for small group discussion" portion-with no answers to help me!

I will have to get some experiment kits-good idea-it is the thing that always falls by the wayside.

RahRah-thanks for the WeDo info-that's great to know! I really liked your suggestions-I love the look of the CPO too.

THANK YOU!