Menu

I need permission...

eksargent

First, I tried Sonlight. We didn't like it. I wanted something a little more independent and a little more structured with quizzes and tests.

Next, I bought Calvert. We are a month into it. I love the academics of it. I don't like that I am "teaching" every subject to each of my boys. The subject matter is straight forward enough that they could do it on their own, but the manual is written to the parent. It's too much skipping around. I also don't like that the schedule is set in stone. If you miss one subject on one day...you're off. I spend more time flipping around, getting to where we should be, and reading through each subject's objective, introduction, instruction, and application! I feel like pulling my hair out.

Now, I'm feeling horrible that we've spent all this money on another curriculum that will not work for us. I want permission to dump the lesson guide. We can get through the curriculum by the middle of summer. (We are playing catch up because we moved twice in 1 year.) For example, I can tell ds to read 1 chapter a week in history, do the vocab and review questions, and be done with the book in July. I can do the quizzes and tests orally to make sure he is getting it.

I know some of these curriculums work great for other families. They are both great programs. They just don't fit us.

I'm even more stressed that I don't have my curriculum picked out for next year! I fell in love with something, sold dh on how great it would be, and now eating those works.

In your situation, I would just create my own schedule for the Calvert materials and finish them at the pace I wanted to, using them in the way I wanted to. Assuming you didn't sign up for one of the programs where they assign the grades, these are your materials, to use the way you want to use them. I always take any lesson plan book as a suggestion, anyway.

I am notorious for using the lesson plans provided for anything as a guide. If you looked at my HO, you would laugh. I have scribbled all the way through merging it with the SOTW AG and even omitting those things that my student does not like. :)

You have permission to do what ever you want whenever you want.

FYI I use Sonlight and Beautiful Feet at times, but only for a few of the resources. I have been known to just buy the book bundles and use them with something entirely different.

Get Story of the World with the activity guide and the optional tests, First Language Lessons, and WWE. Then it is structured as to what to do next, and has tests, but you don't have to do it according to certain days. Then get Math Mammoth, which is written to the student, and has reviews and tests. Pick something for science (or be lazy like me and use Brain Pop, Nova documentaries, and such) and you are done. If you want religion add that in, if you say what denomination you are I'm sure we can flesh that out for you too. I did what you have done...I tried TOG, and some other things, and it just wasn't right. I started getting Peace Hill Press stuff and have never been disappointed. I just bought my last component, First Language Lessons, to use because sticking stubbornly to Growing with Grammar has been a disaster.

You have my permission to get rid of what doesn't work. That is the beauty of homeschooling!!!!!!

Let it go. I have done Calvert twice and ended up doing that both times.

You might look at Oak Meadow grade 4 or 5 for both kids for next year. You can combine both of them into one grade level that way and save you loads of time. The 5th on up is written to and intended to be used by the student alone. This is NOT Waldorf rather a creative approach to the exact same content as Calvert.

Get Story of the World with the activity guide and the optional tests, First Language Lessons, and WWE. Then it is structured as to what to do next, and has tests, but you don't have to do it according to certain days. Then get Math Mammoth, which is written to the student, and has reviews and tests. Pick something for science (or be lazy like me and use Brain Pop, Nova documentaries, and such) and you are done. If you want religion add that in, if you say what denomination you are I'm sure we can flesh that out for you too. I did what you have done...I tried TOG, and some other things, and it just wasn't right. I started getting Peace Hill Press stuff and have never been disappointed. I just bought my last component, First Language Lessons, to use because sticking stubbornly to Growing with Grammar has been a disaster.

You have my permission to get rid of what doesn't work. That is the beauty of homeschooling!!!!!!

She's really right. That way you can skip, cross out, add, and not have it cost you a fortune.

I've never been happy with spending the big bucks on curric, but I've always been happy when I bought components and tweaked.

In your situation, I would just create my own schedule for the Calvert materials and finish them at the pace I wanted to, using them in the way I wanted to. Assuming you didn't sign up for one of the programs where they assign the grades, these are your materials, to use the way you want to use them. I always take any lesson plan book as a suggestion, anyway.

:iagree:

I do want to say (as a reformed curriculum-hopper) that I would try to stick it out and finish the program. Statistics show that kids who jump from program to program (especially in math) get further and further behind because none are structured the same. If you finish it, at least you will have used the curriculum and it won't feel like such a waste, and it will give you time to look at other things and see what you think will fit. I know it is difficult to choose! I am still working on what will work with Sonlight for my dd. I only use the Core and Bible from SL. BTW, I have BTDT with my dh, he is simply glad that I have decided on the SL Cores (he loves them, too) and am still working on other things.

Blessings and happy hunting!

Edited by PentecostalMom

Not the OP, but I think I like this idea lol!

BTDT too.

We've done SL, Konos, MFW, and I tried my hand at writing my own plans (perhaps I was too optimistic there, my history objectives were frankly ridiculous for a pre-K student).

Our last two yrs were with MFW. I loved their set up, but I still had to tweak. We do year round schooling, so I needed to spread weeks out and make them fit my kids. Plus I hated some of the books (Properties of Ecology anyone?), so I picked my own.

You will not be helping yourself or your kiddos if you are too rigid or stick with something just because you bought it.

Come over to the dark side - TOG rocks!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sowhowins.com/photos/Pictures/He-Man.jpg&imgrefurl=http://vw-hosting.info/livesupport/heman-images%26page%3D3&usg=__2pSEp-_jfvMkhttNMA76feTGyFg=&h=427&w=411&sz=41&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=qrRGrKra6Tau9M:&tbnh=169&tbnw=158&ei=vp6bTc_4L-Tj0QG1rpyPBA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dheman%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1360%26bih%3D1233%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1101&vpy=600&dur=233&hovh=229&hovw=220&tx=125&ty=146&oei=oJ6bTeK3A4SAOoXd3YAH&page=1&ndsp=39&ved=1t:429,r:38,s:0 Humbug, I'm clearly not as smart as the rest, cuz I can't get my cute little HeMan picture to show up. :)

You have the power to use the materials any way you want. Ditch the tm and just do them. Block schedule them. Save some subjects for summer. Anything you want. And no, you don't need to chose new curriculum now. You just started? Chose the next thing when you finish this. That way you'll stay focused on learning the real lesson: how to make stuff work for you. If you start looking at new stuff, all you'll do is distract yourself.

...(perhaps I was too optimistic there, my history objectives were frankly ridiculous for a pre-K student). :lol::lol:

...You will not be helping yourself or your kiddos if you are too rigid or stick with something just because you bought it....

Amen to that!

To the OP - BTDT also! SL materials will show up FS here shortly...:tongue_smilie:

You have the power to use the materials any way you want. Ditch the tm and just do them. Block schedule them. Save some subjects for summer. Anything you want. And no, you don't need to chose new curriculum now. You just started? Chose the next thing when you finish this. That way you'll stay focused on learning the real lesson: how to make stuff work for you. If you start looking at new stuff, all you'll do is distract yourself.

:iagree:

Thanks for all the input! I love hearing from everyone!

I am going to finish the curriculum. I am not going to use the teachers manual. I was hoping this would work long term, so I didn't have to go on the curriculum hunt for next year. No deal!

Also, I use CLE math and LOVE IT! I wish I liked the other subjects they offered, but I'm not a big fan.

I don't get how anyone does Calvert...each subject has an objective. introduction, instruction, and application. Do that for each subject for each kid...ug! My house would be a wreck and we would never eat a home cooked meal.

It's just nice to know I'm not the only one dumping money into the black hole of unfulfilled curriculum.

Are you/did you use the workbooks for WWE?? I just got the complete writer thinking I would do it myself-but am concerned I am not doing "enough" now that we have laid off all the dang worksheets from BJU and Abeka...the girls are loving the lack of "paperwork" though!

*sorry for hijacking the OP!*