Menu

Sciatica pain - what gives you relief? What exercises help? Does

From literally the 1st trimester on, I was in utter pain & the chiropractor was a life saver! She even cured my ds of his ear infections! Nevertheless, I honestly believe I would not have been as sane during pregnancy 2 had it not been for my chiro. :)

Giving birth always did the trick for me, but I don't think it will work for your dh. :001_smile:

I used to actually apply pressure to the nerve. If it hurt on my right side, I'd lie on my right side, for instance. I found that to be oddly helpful.

I'm sorry he's suffering. I know how bad that feels.

Chiropractor is THE way to go.

I started having troubles with it at the beginning of pg #3. I would not have 'survived' that pg w/o chiropractic care. Oh man did I hurt! It flares up again early in every pregnancy.

My chiros have given exercises to help with it, but, they really don't seem to work. It's the adjustments themselves that help me.

Ibuprofen (I take 800mg when my back flares up) around the clock until pain free for more than twenty four hours. Apply an ice pack to the lower back area for twenty minutes followed by a warm rice bag for twenty minutes. Continue to pulse the cold and hot until pain free. When he is able to exercise at all, google lower back exercises that he should do everyday from now on if he doesn't want the sciatica to return. Reduce stress level.

HTH

It depends on what's causing the issue. I found help through a massage therapist. The sciatic nerve passes under (and in some folks through) the piriformis muscle which connects the sacrum to the femur and helps rotate the leg outward. This muscle can spasm or become tight and cause pressure on the nerve, leading to the pain. I am slew-footed (my feet point outward toward the sides of my body) so that muscle is chronically tight and sometimes spasms.

It is not uncommon for a massage therapist to be working in a chiropractic office, so that might also be an option.

Make sure he takes a look at how thick his wallet is if he carries it in his back pocket. Sometimes men can have issues because a too thick wallet is pressing on the area when they sit. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E06E6DA143FF934A25752C0A9609C8B63