Menu

MCT language arts help....I am starting today

Mosaicmind

Instead of waiting until next year we are going to start Island level today and I want to make sure I know what I am doing.

First we being Grammar Island, right? I have heard many suggestions about how to present this and how much to do each day. I think for now we are going to sit for 15min and see how it goes. I could do the poetry book along with it or wait, right?

Then after that we do Sentence Island? Or do we do something else? When do I do the Building Language book? That's the vocabulary book and I am wondering if we can do that simultaneously with the Grammar Island.?

Is there enough writing in the Practice Island book to drop WWE or should we continue with it? Where's the Yahoo group for MCT users? Really, I want this to work and I think it will be great for my son who has ADHD and my other son who is right now crying because we are starting school again, UGH!!!

Someone throw me a lifeline!! :crying:

You've got the right idea!

With Grammar Island, if at any point you guys get stuck, just pause there and spend some more time. There were some natural stopping points. Some days we'd only cover 1 or 2 pages. Other days we'd do 15 or 20.

MoH and BL can be done at any time.

After you finish Grammar Island, start Sentence Island and Practice Island (one sentence a day works well). We do some diagramming with the Practice Island sentences as well using Rex Barks (can get at amazon).

The forums are at: http://rfwpsupport.com/forum.php

I think you need to be registered.

The yahoo group is MCTLA.

Good luck!

Here's the scheduel that worked well for us. (We just finished Island Level.)

Start with Grammar Island. Do as many pages as feels right for the day. Be sure to include lots of discussion, especially on the little stories. Don't do any other books until you're done with Grammar Island. The book shouldn't take long. Don't worry if a concept here or there is a little fuzzy. The repetition in Practice Island will help cement the concepts.

After you finish Grammar Island, start Practice Island, about 1 sentence per day. Continue as you add in the other books.

Also start Music of the Hemispheres. The other books (Sentence Island and Building Language) use a lot of poetic devices and your student will better be able to appreciate them if you do MotH first. Plus, the other books will reinforce what is learned in MotH.

Do Sentence Island and Building Language taking turns or one after the other. When doing Sentence Island be sure to refer to the teacher's pages in the back of the book for each chapter.

If your student needs the skills taught by WWE, keep doing WWE.

I agree. Definitely get into the rfwp forum. I downloaded an Excel spreadsheet for both the Island and Town levels, as both my kids are doing MCTLA. It's a very straightforward schedule. If you can't find it, I can e-mail the files to you. PM me!

• 2 weeks later...