Menu

Spanish for 3rd grade

mom31257

Does anyone have Spanish suggestions for a 3rd grade boy? My dd will be in 9th and starting Spanish. She is probably going to use Visual Link, and I thought it might be good to do something with my son. I assume VL would be too much for him since it's equivalent to Spanish 1 credit in high school.

Here is everything else he'll be doing:

History: Biblioplan with SOTW 1

Science: Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space

Bible: study of OT characters (Positive Action for Christ)

Math: BJU

Spelling: ACSI

Reading: BJU and real books for history and pleasure

English: Still debating on BJU or R&S, may use both

Handwriting: Universal Publishing Cursive

Critical Thinking:various workbooks (the child LOVES all of these)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Isn't Georgia one of the states that gets Discovery Education Streaming free? If so, you could check out Elementary Spanish. It's good for Grades 1-8.

Thank you. I don't know if the state gives it free, but I always forget I have access to it because my dh is a public school teacher and has an account.

My 9yr old liked La Clase Divertida for 3rd grade. It was also something he could do independently several times a week.

This is what I did with my kids this year and they enjoyed most of it. My daughter is in 3rd grade and my son is in 5th.

In some ways, I'm kind of regretting starting this young with my dd. What I'm realizing about learning a foreign language is that it's just like memory work. (We have done a lot of memory work here.) If you do not continue to review it, and use it, it gets forgotten. I kind of hate the idea that I will have to continue to review Spanish with her for the next 5 years before she is old enough to take a class that she can get high school credit for-- especially when I know she would have no trouble taking Spanish I in 9th grade and getting an A without ever having done any work in the language before. Now, if I had the funds to have her work with a native speaker a few times a week, I'd feel totally differently about it.

Just another perspective.

Lisa