Menu

Low Carb/Gluten Free folks..what are your favorite snacks?

Hi all,

I need some snack inspiration!!! I find that if I have good snack options available then it's much, much easier to stick to my diet.

I recently began a low carb/sugar free/gluten free diet and have been having wonderful results :) . My energy is up, I've shed a bunch of retained water and have lost a few pounds as well.

I was just wondering what others on a similar diet keep around for snacks?

So far I've been having...

- NutThin Crackers with either a wedge of Laughing Cow swiss cheese spread or hummus

- fruit (usually an apple) with a handful of raw almonds

- an Atkins chocolate/coconut "Endulge" bar when I'm really craving something sweet and chocolatey

- low fat cottage cheese

I just bought some Chia seeds today (they're soaking at this very minute, lol) and am looking forward to trying those.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Jenn

For me - smoked salmon (ok, it's probably more available where I am than where you are!)

some of the greek yogurts are very low-carb. I found a store brand here with 10g carbs per serving! A perfect snack!

Laughing cow or baby bel cheese. Cream cheese spread on celery. Peanut butter on celery. Peanut butter on multi-grain crackers (gotta be picky about these). Sunflower seeds. Sugar-free jello. Sugar-free pudding whipped with cream cheese. Apples with peanut butter.

hard boiled eggs

cheese

almonds

raw veggies with a nice dip or cream cheese

dill pickles

When I'm cold or needing to be full rather than munch on something: a nice big mug of really good chx broth. Savory things seem to satisfy me in a way that sweeter things don't.

My DD is allergic to nuts so I feel guilty eating them with her around, but I did find a good recipe last week that I keep eating over and over... It's for low carb hamburger buns. Now, I think they make a lousy bun, but they taste really good toasted with cream cheese. MMMMMM!

You take one egg and whisk it into a bowl that is the shape of roll you desire (It will puff up). Mix in 4 tablespoons of milled flax seed, a pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (not soda). Microwave for one minute. Cool for one minute in bowl, then pop it out and let it cool on a wire rack.

OK, I make this in the morning, then about "homeschool snack time" I toast it and add a layer of cream cheese---it's super yummy and I'm not hungry again until 1:30/2:00.

As a hamburger bun though- blehhh.

-cheese

-celery & natural peanut butter

-walnuts

for dessert, i make a refrigerator 'cookie'. it's a package of cream cheese, 2-3 TBSp peanut butter, 2 tsp coconut oil, 1.5 scoops flavored whey protein, and 1-2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder. mix it up, plop it onto wax paper in spoonfuls and refrigerate. yummy.

Oh, thank you for posting this thread!

I am always on the lookout for snacks like this. Hard boiled eggs, cheese... those do get a bit old.

My son is allergic to all nuts and sesame seeds, so many of my go-to items are out now. We don't even keep them in the house for safety reasons.

But I love the low carb buns, and can't wait to try them toasted. Yum. And I can make a tahini-free hummus substitute that is passable.

If anyone else has nut-free ideas, I would love to hear them also. :bigear:

You take one egg and whisk it into a bowl that is the shape of roll you desire (It will puff up). Mix in 4 tablespoons of milled flax seed' date=' a pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (not soda). Microwave for one minute. Cool for one minute in bowl, then pop it out and let it cool on a wire rack.

[/quote']

I'm going to try this tomorrow! I've been eating Paleo, and have lost weight & gained energy, but I, too, and getting tired of the same snacks. Thanks for the suggestion!

Prepare sugar-free jello with milk or cream in place of the cold water, and stir in about 2 tbsp (for a 4 serving box of jello) of good quality cocoa.

Use a flavor that goes well with chocolate, obviously. Cherry works well. It looks horrible but tastes delicious. Stir after about 2-3 hours of chilling (when it has some form but isn't quite set) if you don't want it separating into layers.

(Disclaimer: I've only ever actually tried this with sugar-containing jello and coconut milk, so I can't 100% vouch for the low-carb version).

I'm eating pistachios now, but I'm not sure those count as low-carb (I eat paleo, not specifically low-carb, and am not trying to lose weight). I definitely have trouble finding snacks because the baby is sensitive to dairy, egg, and legumes, so many of the standard options are out.

Canned salmon or tuna apple salad with garlic powder, lemon pepper, and cumin is one of my favorites these days. It would be better with a bit of mayo. If you're avoiding fruit, replacing some or all of the apple (I usually use about half an apple sliced up small) with celery would be good, too.

I want cheese. And Yogurt. *Grump*

Edited by ocelotmom

I am LOVING green bean and okra chips right now! They are freezed dried veggies with a dash of sea salt. I get them at Fresh market, but Trader Joes and I think Whole Foods carry them too. YUMMY! I also like sliced cucumbers (I only use the English variety, so no seeds) with a dash of light country Italian dressing....super low in calories!

I love this site's recipes:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

I've made two of her soups this week and they were awesome!! Somehow soup makes me feel like I'm not eating low carb (years ago while doing Atkins I felt like all I ate was bacon and cheese:))

Right now I have her ugly string beans cooking in the oven. They look like they'd make a good snack.

lisa

buffalo wings! with lots of blue cheese dressing!

I just fry the drummettes in about 1" of oil in a cast iron pot. Not much splatter since the sides are so high.

Then do wing sauce from Tabasco (or hot sauce if your choice) and butter.