Menu

Okay, because I suffer from P.C.D (thanks Colleen)

I need some advice on how to run faster. I know I need to build up my stride -- any tips?

I generally run 5 km each afternoon, different kind of routes. Some hills, some flat.

I run with someone who can run faster and I want to run faster too.

Help?!

One thing you need to do is start going for longer runs. When you start extending your runs, your shorter runs will be faster. Also, short bursts at a faster pace (fartleks?), during your usual run help.

I must have missed Colleen's post about her race. Can someone fill me in?

I wish I could help, but let's just say I'm envious of Colleen's time, and even though I don't know much about times, it's way faster than mine.

Her post got me thinking that I need to pick up the pace.

Yesterday my running partner did add some sprints towards the end of our run. I hope that kicks things up a bit.

I am the slowest runner alive. Look on Runnersworld.com. I know they have articles on it. I finished a marathon last week at the break neck speed of 5 1/2 hours so you don't need ANY advice from me.:tongue_smilie:

That record probably belongs to me!!:001_smile:

One thing you need to do is start going for longer runs. When you start extending your runs, your shorter runs will be faster. Also, short bursts at a faster pace (fartleks?), during your usual run help.

I must have missed Colleen's post about her race. Can someone fill me in?

You should be able to search for Colleen's post on Pace Comparison Disorder (P.C.D.) a phrase she coined to describe her envy of other people's running times.

Sprints. My bf husband (track coach-college) told me to start doing sprints while I was training for a 297-mile 12-member relay race. I could not wrap my mind around how this would help and was resistant for a long time. Finally, as the race got nearer, I started implementing sprints into my shorter runs and, low and behold, my speed started improving. Really. Now, I include sprints anytime I am training (which isn't often anymore) but it always improves my times.

I'm sorry I've caused you, too, to suffer from P.C.D. Guilty as charged!;) As far as how to run faster, I have some ideas ~ virtually none of which I implement myself, btw.

1) Do sprints. Most runners (myself included) make the mistake of running virtually the same pace all the time. It's actually far better to do some shorter, faster runs ~ and sprints ~ alongside longer, slower runs. So why don't I do sprints? Primarily because it's boring to do them alone, imo. A running group down in Bellingham meets once a week at a high school track and does timed sprints. It'd be great to add that to my program, but it'd take too much time for me to drive down there each week. My lifestyle right now is such that when I get a chance to run, I just go out and do the norm, kwim?

2) Mix up shorter and longer runs. Don't always go out and run the same distance. Again, I often fail in this respect and again, it's a season of life thing. When I have time to run, I want to get in more mileage, so I try to do at least 5 or 6 miles. But it's better when I sometimes do some short runs (say, 3 miles) and some long runs.

3) Include hills. Sounds like you're doing that. I don't. There are few hills in close proximity, plus I hate running hills. When I hit hills, in a race, I tend to fast walk.

4) Shorten your stride. I'm not sure what you mean you say you need to "build up" your stride. A lot of people over-stride when running; it's my tendency, too.

5) Be patient.:) Didn't you just recently start running, Rose? I think you'll find over time that you just naturally shave a bit of time off your pace.

Keep on keeping on!