Menu

What do you do for Chemistry if your student just can.not.handle the math? Or do you?

Do you just find another science course besides chemistry? I'm thinking ahead here for my rising 7th grade student. I know it's way early yet, but I just can't see her being able to handle chemistry. My own dc used Apologia Chemistry and did great with it (made A's), but I can already tell that this is going to be way, way beyond the capabilities of my younger student (the family friend I am currrently teaching). I am formulating a middle school & high school curriculum sequence for her, and the thought of having to teach her chemistry is scary!

Very successfully using Conceptual Chemistry here. We used Apologia Chemistry with older, math-minded DS, but knew the math and the style of text would be too dry and just not connect with younger, math-struggler DS.

CC has been great! MUCH for interestingly written than Apologia, and the little math in it is at an easy Algebra 1 level, and they walk you through the calculation holding your hand. There are also great FREE video lessons (under the heading of "tutorials") to go along with each chapter on the Conceptual Chemistry website, plus FREE downloadable worksheets.

While Apologia killed the love of learning and science here for both DSs, Conceptual Chemistry and Conceptual Physics has revived it. Both CC and CP are secular, but both also clearly (and respectfully!) state in their introductory chapters that science has a limited scope -- and answering questions about "why are we here" and "how did we get here" are NOT questions science can answer, but that those rest in the realms of philosophy and religion.

In this post of the thread entitled "What is needed for Conceptual Chemistry", I listed which TOPS and Microchem experiments go with which chapter in the 2nd ed. of CC (c. 2004), which is what we are using. The 4th edition is the most recent version, and the videos on the website are matched up with that edition. With a little effort, it's not too hard to juggle the videos around to match up with the 2nd edition -- OR, just watch all the videos for a chapter and then do the textbook and eventually they match up. :tongue_smilie:

Also, you might look into Spectrum Chemistry (the high school level of Chemistry by the same publisher as Rainbow Science for middle school level) -- 8FillstheHeart on this board has been using it with one of her DC this year, and has been very pleased with it.

And finally, you might look at Friendly Chemistry. I have seen one or two reviews by people on this Board. It is very non-math oriented.

Also, don't forget the FREE video tutorials (on MANY high school topics!) at Khan Academy.

What a blessing you are to this young lady's family, to homeschool her! BEST of luck, and enjoy your science adventures with a new curriculum! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I have the same concerns for my 8th grade son. My only plan so far is to postpone chemistry until 12th grade, hoping that he'll be ready for it by then. (He's doing Physical Science for 9th grade, and will do Biology in 10th or 11th).

Wendi

Also, you might look into Spectrum Chemistry (the high school level of Chemistry by the same publisher as Rainbow Science for middle school level) -- 8FillstheHeart on this board has been using it with one of her DC this year, and has been very pleased with it.

And finally, you might look at Friendly Chemistry. I have seen one or two reviews by people on this Board. It is very non-math oriented.

Also, don't forget the FREE video tutorials (on MANY high school topics!) at Khan Academy.

These are both good programs. Just wanted to mention that Spectrum does actually expect a certain level of math, but they sell a "Bridge Math" for kids who need it. Bridge Math could be used as prep even for other chemistry programs.

My oldest struggled greatly in math (the easy Algebra I level mentioned here for one of the Chemistry programs was extremely difficult for him--he started Algebra I in 9th grade, backed up all the way to MUS Epsilon and Zeta, moved through those and some of PreAlgebra in 9th, finished PreAlgebra and started Algebra I in 10th, restarted Algebra I in 11th because he forgot it all, and painfully struggled to finish Algebra I with a low C average by December of 12th, while simultaneously doing Geometry for all of 12th).

So, for this son chemistry was not going to happen. (In addition to his math struggles, he didn't have much interest in that kind of science.) He took Biology, Geology, and a simple Zoology course for his 3 sciences.

I don't know what level of trouble your student has with math (and 7th grade may be too soon to say), but there are other options if her math doesn't reach that level in time.

Is chemistry necessary?

If my son does it, I am leaning toward Conceptual Chemisty, due to the fact that he doesn't shine in math. I had him read the sample on line and he said he just isn't interested in Chemistry. He is interested in Anatomy (he enjoyed Apologia Biology last year. This year we are doing chapters out of an environmental science book). He will be in 11th grade next year. So if we don't do Chemistry, he will never get it. Or he will never get physics.

I'll add that he is probably not going to major in science and math but will likely get a scholarship for voice or acting (very talented).

We have decided to use Conceptual Chemistry next year because DD hates math. I received an email response from the author, and read another one posted somewhere on this forum, which convince me that CC will prepare her for the future. At 14, DD seems like a budding artist. If she needs a more rigorous chemistry class to realize her evolving dream, she can take it in the future. Meanwhile, she can have a happier learning experience in the present. She's also going to read The Skeptical Chemist, and we have Chemistry: A Self-Teaching Guide to use as need or interest indicates.

Would you only use this with a dc that had trouble with math? How about using this with a dc that is average in math. I really like the looks of it. My dd is average in math.

Do you mean Conceptual Chemistry? I used it with my eldest who is gifted in math because a. she didn't want to do math in more than one subject at the time, b. I consider understanding the concepts of Chemistry before doing the math imperative, and not all dc who can do the math understand the concepts, and c. it was recommended by several people whose advice has worked well for my dc. We were very pleased with it, and dd plans to do AP Chem her senior year. There are those who say that Conceptual Chem doesn't adequately prep dc for AP Chem, but dd did some math with her labs and, more importantly, is very strong in math.

You need a good handle on Algebra 1 before doing most high school Chem books.