Menu

Looking for guidelines for an independent learning project. Ideas?

Your kids are much older than mine, so my ideas might be stupid...

OK, what if they chose a topic they were interested in...say geology.

They could:

1. Research geology at the library - maybe check out 3 sources about the topic.

2. Write a short report on one source (maybe an outline or summary).

3. Buy a beginner's rock kit or some hands-on geology kits and have them work through the kits/rocks. Work on identification, characteristics of the different rocks, etc.

4. Prepare a short presentation on their topic for the rest of the family.

That's just one example...maybe?

Not stupid! Never!

We've done this sort of thing and it's fantastic. It might be just what we end up doing. I was just fishing for ideas for something a little more directive and for an almost high school student.

Look in the WTM and have your kids do their research that way. Another idea....have your dc write their own unit study. The learning is in the research and writing. Have them include vocabulary, a writing project, some math problems, literature suggestions etc. I had my oldest dd do this with Pilgrim's Progress in 10th grade. It was great...she even drew a coloring book....and then used the unit to teach her younger siblings. Wonderful!

Faithe

Look in the WTM and have your kids do their research that way. Another idea....have your dc write their own unit study. The learning is in the research and writing. Have them include vocabulary, a writing project, some math problems, literature suggestions etc. I had my oldest dd do this with Pilgrim's Progress in 10th grade. It was great...she even drew a coloring book....and then used the unit to teach her younger siblings. Wonderful!

Faithe

Great idea, Faith! Thanks!