Menu

Curriculum package that follows SOTW in order?

Literary Mom

I was this close to getting MFW and then found out it jumps around in SOTW. I really don't want to do that, especially since we've read books 1-3 as they are written, in chronological order. Plus my oldest really likes bouncing back and forth between countries, and I like keeping the narrative thread, even if it isn't always obvious. I mean SWB wrote it that way for a reason, right?

After my bubble burst with finding out the above, I also realized I can't justify the expense of MFW vs. doing it the WTM way, esp. because I don't think I would even use all the supplemental (but required) history books, most of which seem to have an emphasis on patriotism, missions, and Bible.

Still, I like the idea of having a pre-made lesson plan and a way to tie history together with other subjects in addition to literature, so as to help with teaching multiple ages. I'm guessing, though, that there isn't anything that follows the order of SOTW 4 rather than grouping by country, or what have you...but just in case I'm wrong, I had to post this.

I haven't heard of that one, so I'll check it out. We do use the AG - I just need someone to do the scheduling and select the choices for me (I suffer from chronic indecision and procrastination) - can't decide whether I need a boss or a secretary or a housekeeper or a magic wand or...join the club, I know :lol:

I had to google that one, too, since I couldn't find it on the abbreviations sticky - HO = History Odyssey (Pandia Press).

They do go a little out of order, but not as much as the others, and I kind of like the simple way it's set up, so it's worth considering, though it doesn't do as much as the others, doesn't use the AG (I depend on those review questions) and it's totally secular.

I have a feeling that what I'm looking for doesn't actually exist...though I may experiment with the free trial of TOG next year, once I get the first cycle of SOTW all wrapped up. I really wanted some hand holding while I transition my youngest into school with us, but I'm too particular about certain things (see OP) for that to happen, I think...sigh...:rolleyes:

We do use the AG - I just need someone to do the scheduling and select the choices for me (I suffer from chronic indecision and procrastination) - can't decide whether I need a boss or a secretary or a housekeeper or a magic wand or...join the club, I know :lol:

:lol:

Well, I tried a program that scheduled things for me, and I found that I didn't necessarily like their schedule, I couldn't get the books they recommended, I didn't like the projects they suggested, so it made it harder to get things done. Just now, I finished going through the SOTW AG and making plans for the next 11 chapters. I made cool looking narration sheets (in Startwrite), a schedule page that lists what readings to do, map work (that my kid can probably do on his own), and books that the AG recommends that MY LIBRARY HAS, plus I picked out one project that looked like I'd be willing to do it. Everything is printed out and ready to go. I'm excited to get started this way! I did the same type of thing with science, and I'm finding that I actually do better making my own choices, but I just have to do it during a "planning period", not each week before we get started. ;)

I don't know why I wasn't using the AG as much before. It actually has a lot of book recommendations that my library actually has, and the map work looks independent even for my first grader (the program I was using before, I had to do the mapwork myself and just let him watch, for the most part - he still learned, but it was ME doing the work). It is amazing how much info is in the AG and how easy it is to use and schedule. I just planned for 1 chapter per week. Most chapters have 2 sections, so we do one section and a narration on one day, then the next day we do another section and map work. I have the Usborne World History Encyclopedia in my schedule for that first day usually. If a chapter has 3 sections, we just have 3 days that week. No big deal. I could probably even do 2 days in one. I'll just play that by ear. But it's all basically scheduled out for me, and I have a list of anywhere from 2-5 books to check out from the library for each week.

The AG discussions and maps are neatly arranged by SWB. It is easy to turn a page and ask the questions or complete the unfinished outlines out of order. We cut the outlines and pasted them (if too small) to cardstock, adding other sections as we went, in the order that HO had listed the sections for reading.

I used History Odyssey lesson pages to note where I wanted to insert discussion questions and/or map work, along with extra activities too. They were a "hot" mess to look at, but I knew what it all meant. :)

DD wants more reading and investigation. Biblioplan appears to offer more activities and extends optional areas for crafts and investigations for Ancient History. Also, their lesson plans look easier to scribble on and add what I want! LOL I will use the SOTW activity guide and book AGAIN!

So, if you find any SOTW reading schedules matched with other spines, give me a shout. I am off to find an Oxford Ancient History!

Give a shout if you have any questions about Modern.

Edited by ChrissySC

:lol:

Well, I tried a program that scheduled things for me, and I found that I didn't necessarily like their schedule, I couldn't get the books they recommended, I didn't like the projects they suggested, so it made it harder to get things done. Just now, I finished going through the SOTW AG and making plans for the next 11 chapters. I made cool looking narration sheets (in Startwrite), a schedule page that lists what readings to do, map work (that my kid can probably do on his own), and books that the AG recommends that MY LIBRARY HAS, plus I picked out one project that looked like I'd be willing to do it. Everything is printed out and ready to go. I'm excited to get started this way! I did the same type of thing with science, and I'm finding that I actually do better making my own choices, but I just have to do it during a "planning period", not each week before we get started. ;)

I don't know why I wasn't using the AG as much before. It actually has a lot of book recommendations that my library actually has, and the map work looks independent even for my first grader (the program I was using before, I had to do the mapwork myself and just let him watch, for the most part - he still learned, but it was ME doing the work). It is amazing how much info is in the AG and how easy it is to use and schedule. I just planned for 1 chapter per week. Most chapters have 2 sections, so we do one section and a narration on one day, then the next day we do another section and map work. I have the Usborne World History Encyclopedia in my schedule for that first day usually. If a chapter has 3 sections, we just have 3 days that week. No big deal. I could probably even do 2 days in one. I'll just play that by ear. But it's all basically scheduled out for me, and I have a list of anywhere from 2-5 books to check out from the library for each week.

This is almost identical to what we've been doing...except that I am planning it week-to-week or even on the day! I go to the library almost every week and do inter-library transfers to get the books I really want (if they're even in the system). I used Usborne the first year, but not the last two. I may bring it back. We read SOTW and do narrations two days (a section per day) and do the alternate books on the third day. We do the map work and often the coloring sheets (all independently), but rarely the other activities, either because they're not interested or I think they're pointless. We should probably do more of them, so I'm thinking if someone orders me to (hence the notion of having a boss), I might be better about that, especially if it's planned in advance. I always intend to plan everything out in the summer (as well as catch up on everything else that's years behind) but never get to it...I'm not giving up, though...just wondering if there's an easier way...

Thanks, Chrissy. I'll report back to this thread if I find anything. The AG has been crucial to our homeschooling (I tried starting the second year w/o it and ended up having to order it after the first week or so)...maybe tweaking it with HO would work for me like it has for you...we'll see...

How about Classical House of Learning? It is scheduled out for you when to read what, it adds extra books along with suggested activities (not from the AG specifically), and even gives you suggested answers for narrations & comprehension questions for the extra books. Oh, and it is FREE!

I'll look into that one as well - thanks. I just asked my daughter what she would prefer - to continue going in chronological order in SOTW or to read it by country, and she said the latter! However, I don't think I can bring myself to do it that way...must be the writer in me :)

This is almost identical to what we've been doing...except that I am planning it week-to-week or even on the day! I go to the library almost every week and do inter-library transfers to get the books I really want (if they're even in the system). I used Usborne the first year, but not the last two. I may bring it back. We read SOTW and do narrations two days (a section per day) and do the alternate books on the third day. We do the map work and often the coloring sheets (all independently), but rarely the other activities, either because they're not interested or I think they're pointless. We should probably do more of them, so I'm thinking if someone orders me to (hence the notion of having a boss), I might be better about that, especially if it's planned in advance. I always intend to plan everything out in the summer (as well as catch up on everything else that's years behind) but never get to it...I'm not giving up, though...just wondering if there's an easier way...

There is nothing wrong to not plan and just go naturally (one chapter a week). I usually reserve supplemental books in the AG 4 chapters at a time ahead of time. We always do narration and ?s from the AG, the map, and the coloring sheets. Sometimes we do a project or two. We usually do one chapter a week. We read the books from the library sometimes before we get to the related chapter, sometimes the same week of the chapter, sometimes later. I don't try too hard to line up. We also watch a lot of documentaries or movies about the topics/people. I feel a lot of freedom doing it this way and I never worry if we are behind because we are usually ahead. We listen to the CDs all the time, during breakfast, lunch, or while driving in the car because ds (8 and 6) ask to listen to them all the time. That's why we never worry about lining up the books with the chapters. Long before we really hit the chapters with ?s, narration, and map work formally, they would already have listened to them multiple times.

Elle M,

I know you've been trying to find a good fit for you and your kiddos with SOTW. I hope you find it! Keep us posted as to what you're final decision will be. I am looking forward and excited to see what you choose! ;)

Thank you :) I guess my flurry of posts has made it rather obvious I'm in brainstorming mode! These forums are a godsend. I tend to hibernate Oct-Feb and then come out to play...er, plan...in the spring and summer. The search function can't even keep up with me - those 15 secs sometimes feel like an eternity ;)

There is nothing wrong to not plan and just go naturally (one chapter a week). I usually reserve supplemental books in the AG 4 chapters at a time ahead of time. We always do narration and ?s from the AG, the map, and the coloring sheets. Sometimes we do a project or two. We usually do one chapter a week. We read the books from the library sometimes before we get to the related chapter, sometimes the same week of the chapter, sometimes later. I don't try too hard to line up. We also watch a lot of documentaries or movies about the topics/people. I feel a lot of freedom doing it this way and I never worry if we are behind because we are usually ahead. We listen to the CDs all the time, during breakfast, lunch, or while driving in the car because ds (8 and 6) ask to listen to them all the time. That's why we never worry about lining up the books with the chapters. Long before we really hit the chapters with ?s, narration, and map work formally, they would already have listened to them multiple times.

It does work pretty well for us...I'm just nervous because my son is coming into the mix, so I feel like everything is changing, and I really want to be on my game, so to speak. I've been kinda spoiled with my very bright compliant girls, and though he's just as smart and also a pleaser, he has a big personality - not rambunctious, but very assertive. I love that he's already so eager to join us, but as an only child and introvert, I find that multi-tasking (both things and people) is one of my biggest challenges. I am a single-focus one on one type of person...lately I've been feeling like I'm kind of flailing (too impatient, drill sergeant like, etc.), so I want to correct my course before I'm tested even further...have to continually remind myself that God's power is made perfect in my weakness (when I depend on him, which I so often fail to do in the moment).

I really like the look and feel of Classical House of Learning. I only wish it integrated more subjects - I'd be willing to pay for that. Then again, with the history/literature chunk planned out so well, maybe I can figure out how to cover LA (spelling, grammar, handwriting - if we even need all of those for my oldest) and science (physics/chemistry) on my own. I've chosen our math, so it's just a matter of figuring out how to schedule it all and juggle instruction with independent learning (see my other recent post). Might try the new Bible curriculum from the Olive Branch arm of Peace Hill to round things out :)

I really like the look and feel of Classical House of Learning. I only wish it integrated more subjects - I'd be willing to pay for that. Then again, with the history/literature chunk planned out so well, maybe I can figure out how to cover LA (spelling, grammar, handwriting - if we even need all of those for my oldest) and science (physics/chemistry) on my own. I've chosen our math, so it's just a matter of figuring out how to schedule it all and juggle instruction with independent learning (see my other recent post). Might try the new Bible curriculum from the Olive Branch arm of Peace Hill to round things out :)

Hey there. :) When I looked for what you describe in your first post, I couldn't find it. That's why I decided to write one. :) Anyway, we use Phonics Road to knock out all the other language arts (spelling, handwriting, grammar, etc.). I hope you find what you need! :)