Menu

How do you start in the middle?

Jamee

With our displacement, I have started homeschooling my first grader. So far I have liked what I've seen with Sonlight, and have gotten some of their materials--readers, etc, hwt. I'm just so torn about starting from the beginning or do I rush ahead the early stuff to get more of where he should be? He's a delayed reader so I'm dealing with that too.

Any advice or suggestions? I didn't think I'd be homeschooling both kids at once so this is new territory for me. Plus, we're not at home and will have a lot of disruptions over the next few weeks, possibly months.:confused:

that's what I was thinking. Right now, we're planning on putting him back in school for second grade, so I worry if we don't finish those lessons in time, he'll be further behind, you know? Then again, he's hoping to NOT go back to school next year but continue homeschooling. (oh the dilemma:confused: the school he's in is actually very good and we've been happy with it, so we never intended this at this age.)

I'd work on his reading and math, then just enjoy all the good books and experiences you can together. Especially since he is young and you're having to deal with disruptions. No need to hurry! I wouldn't worry about next year yet, but I'd probably look into what I could do on his reading (even if that's a decision to not stress about it right now, and just enjoy books together). Have you considered something like FIAR? It's fun and simple to plan.